Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 5/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, Action Newsroom said:

I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

A full hour of each of his incessant "court" shows each weekday, Funny You Should Ask every afternoon, Comics Unleashed late nights, all his many infotainment shows during weekends, and those weird sitcoms that many well-known TV actors somehow signed up for on weeknights.

That's a strategy. 😆

Or ... he could want the station to get ratings.

18 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Even better, he'll put all of "his" channels he sued to get on DirecTV and Xfinity as subchannels on these stations!

That's 9 additional channels (counting the Weather Channel)!! I don't think KADN can hold that many subchannels!! 🙁

7 hours ago, J1975am said:

That's 9 additional channels (counting the Weather Channel)!! I don't think KADN can hold that many subchannels!! 🙁

Forgot about TWC 🤦‍♂️

I was thinking of all of the ones that end in .TV that air his shows non-stop.  No wonder they're buried after the religious channels on DirecTV!

16 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

It's just a joke, dude.

You think I don't know that?

There is the theoretical chance that Byron Allen running stations with only his shows (whose production costs have already been paid for) could be profitable enough to survive low ratings, but it's more likely he'll run them as normal stations with outside syndicated product.

• Thanks 1

WRIC (Richmond) Chief Meteorologist John Bernier celebrates 35 years at the station late last month...

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/-frogchokers-and-hayrotters-john-bernier-celebrates-35-years-at-8news/1954276868

...meanwhile down I-64 East to Hampton Roads, meteorologist Craig Moeller will be returning to WVEC in a few weeks.

Edited by tw-804

Kelsey Riggs leaving WCNC for the ACC Network. https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2019/05/100-days-from-launch-first-three-weeks-of-football-on-acc-network-released-announcers-cotter-herzlich-riggs-and-wood-added-to-roster/j

Good for her! She will be missed at WCNC.

Edited by Nelson R.

Out of interest say you were fired from a Nexstar station (and I assume you can’t apply to others) what would happen if you were  employed by Tribune but was in good standing? Could they fire you again? 

46 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Out of interest say you were fired from a Nexstar station (and I assume you can’t apply to others) what would happen if you were  employed by Tribune but was in good standing? Could they fire you again? 

If non-contract, yes. If under contract, I think Nexstar has to maintain the Tribune contract until it comes up again, but they can let you go then?

WKRG has caught some flack for "copying" a story done by WPMI several weeks before....

Here is the WKRG story (it looks like it has since been edited to remove the "exclusive" claims....)

https://www.wkrg.com/news/exclusive-news-3-takes-you-inside-a-possible-terror-training-camp-in-east-alabama/2004827895

WKRG got the story from sister station WRBL, which was closer to where the suspected terror camp was....

(read the WKRG story and it was largely "borrowed" from WRBL...even down to the News 3 mentions)

https://www.wrbl.com/news/local-news/exclusive-news-3-takes-you-inside-a-possible-terror-training-camp-in-east-alabama/2004438883

They may have gotten wind of the story from an AL.com article, that gave credit to the WPMI series....

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/it-was-in-our-backyard-alabama-terrorist-camp-report-shocks-macon-county.html

In conclusion...

WPMI did the story a few weeks ago,

AL.com did a story about it making claim to the WPMI piece...(even though Macon County is not served by one of their print properties despite having a "Montgomery" version of their site.)

WRBL did an "exclusive" look into the facility (keeping in mind this happened CLOSER to them, even though Macon County is just outside their viewing area, nonetheless, it is part of East Alabama.)

...and WKRG, being a sister station to WRBL (and since Nexstar stations share and share alike.....) gets the story and someone there carelessly teases the story like it was above.

Needless to say some people at WPMI are pissed, but given this background, they may have overreacted a tad. 

WKRG should have been a little more forthcoming about WRBL's reporting rather than "cutting and pasting" the story.  

It's almost like the Glenn Austin scandal a few years back when he was fired for alleged plagiarism of an article, as a result of sharing a news article for review, and the webmaster posting it to the site under his byline.  He later settled with the station and they retracted the plagiarism allegations.

And in another twist of irony, the WKRG anchor Peter Albrecht, was one of the 3 canned from WPMI in the Purge of 2007, which also saw Kim McCrae and Drexel Gilbert (who is ALSO once again at WKRG) getting the axe.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Well so much for saving the T-P....the owners are laying off the entire staff....

https://thehill.com/media/442133-entire-new-orleans-times-picayune-staff-laid-off-in-sale

A real dick move by both parties....Advance for reducing the Times-Picayune to this and selling to someone who puts everyone else on the street.

Georges said some T-P reporters will be hired by The Advocate, but everyone else gonna have to find a job out of state.

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

This is a shame.

WESH 2 Sports Anchor Pat Clarke is leaving in June after 16 years at the station

Via The Orlando Sentinel:

Bill Bauman, then the WESH general manager, called Clarke “the best sportscaster ever to come through Central Florida.”

I've watched lots of Central Florida News over the years going on vacations and I will say this with confidence and @MikePulse may agree with me here.

Pat Clarke is THE greatest sportscaster in the history of Central Florida broadcasting. Nobody has done it better than Pat, nobody has represented sports better than Pat and he is just a legend in the market.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up going to WKMG or Spectrum News 13.

• Like 1