Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...
Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

"...To Another Channel!"

Posted Images

On 12/5/2018 at 5:52 PM, TexasTVNews said:

The "Texas 21" branding comes back to me when KXTX was then known as "Texas 39" in the early-mid 90s and KTXD was also known as "Texas 47".

IIRC, KDFI early on in the 84-85 timeframe also used Texas 27.  I’ll see if I can find videotape thereof...

Jim 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trent Magill is leaving WATE in Knoxville and returning to WEWS in Cleveland.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/12/13/back-to-the-land

He's rumored to be replacing Mark Johnson..any idea what happened to him?

It seemed that Mark moved up to the spot after his predecessor Brad Sussman disappeared in the 2000s....only a few years after replacing longtime chief Don Webster.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Trent Magill is leaving WATE in Knoxville and returning to WEWS in Cleveland.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/12/13/back-to-the-land

He's rumored to be replacing Mark Johnson..any idea what happened to him?

It seemed that Mark moved up to the spot after his predecessor Brad Sussman disappeared in the 2000s....only a few years after replacing longtime chief Don Webster.

Mark has since taken to social media to welcome back Trent, and added that they will both be part of the weather team at WEWS starting in January.  Apparently, FTVLIVE got it wrong about Mark leaving.

If Mark had left, wouldn't a stronger meteorologist come in to replace him?

Edited by CLETVFan
Adding more words
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another long-time anchor is hanging up the mic as of March 1st of next year. Jeff Brady, anchor of KENS 5 Eyewitness News and former anchor at KSAT, WFAA and KTXD is retiring. KENS will look for a new anchor after Brady retires.

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/kens-5-anchor-jeff-brady-retires-from-broadcasting/210788

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is Radio News but since it’s related to TV WBAL-AM has bought a low power FM translator, W268BA-FM, at 250 watts to fill in some coverage gaps.  The radio station also is simulcast on 97.9 HD2.

W268BA_FX_LU.gif

Image courtesy of Radio-Locator.com

Just because of this I’m guessing Hearst isn’t ready to get out of Radio anytime soon. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tjt24 said:

KDKA-TV chief meteorologist Jeff Verszyla just tweeted that he was let go from the station after 23 years. 

I usually like KDKA but that's a pretty crappy move. He didn't even get to say good bye on the air before they fired him.

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

Well this is Radio News but since it’s related to TV WBAL-AM has bought a low power FM translator, W268BA-FM, at 250 watts to fill in some coverage gaps.  The radio station also is simulcast on 97.9 HD2.

W268BA_FX_LU.gif

Image courtesy of Radio-Locator.com

Just because of this I’m guessing Hearst isn’t ready to get out of Radio anytime soon. 

Probably not. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't WBAL and WIYY some of the best performing stations in Baltimore? I'm sure it's a cash cow for them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

I usually like KDKA but that's a pretty crappy move. He didn't even get to say good bye on the air before they fired him.

Probably not. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't WBAL and WIYY some of the best performing stations in Baltimore? I'm sure it's a cash cow for them.

Yes, but if you’re on DCRTV you’d think not.  They complain about old stories being read or being late to report or using audio clips from the TV side.  

They may not be #1 (out of all stations) but I think they’re doing well. Even during a driving live shot a year back on holiday travel on CBS This Morning I saw the radio was tuned to WIYY in Northern Virginia .

Edited by rkolsen
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

I usually like KDKA but that's a pretty crappy move. He didn't even get to say good bye on the air before they fired him.

Yeah me too, and I agree. He said in a Facebook post this morning that he was told that the station is going in a "new direction". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tjt24 said:

Yeah me too, and I agree. He said in a Facebook post this morning that he was told that the station is going in a "new direction". 

Translation: Jeff was getting too expensive for KDKA's payroll.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Maybe WPXI's new owner can refresh it with him on their set.

Both WPXI and WTAE recently made new meteorologist hires this year. But regardless, I don't see Jeff being gone for too long.

10 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

Translation: They can hire a no name at entry level pay with bronze insurance, which they won't use.

KDKA just recently hired Ray Petelin from WTAE, and it wouldn't surprise me if they name him the new chief meteorologist because he has been a favorite with viewers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Angie Goff leaving WRC effective today.  I'm honestly surprised, I know she's definitely a viewer favorite here in DC, going back to her days across town at WUSA.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Angie-Goff-Says-Goodbye-to-News4_Washington-DC-502874451.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand&fbclid=IwAR20wvwLO2nRBMEMWUjMc6FF6pFMYAsBx825V8j6Qmt91AMiuieA2YJkWSY

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

Angie Goff leaving WRC effective today.  I'm honestly surprised, I know she's definitely a viewer favorite here in DC, going back to her days across town at WUSA.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Angie-Goff-Says-Goodbye-to-News4_Washington-DC-502874451.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand&fbclid=IwAR20wvwLO2nRBMEMWUjMc6FF6pFMYAsBx825V8j6Qmt91AMiuieA2YJkWSY

Seems like it was a personal decision. Plenty of in-house candidates to replace her. I hope we get another Tuss/Culver pairing at least once in the interim.

They should ship one of those guys up to Philly to anchor weekend evenings with Denise.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 2:42 PM, ColDayNews said:

 

WBNS would be a logical choice for Elwell to return to.

 

He spent 17 years there, as the chief meteorologist for their statewide operation— the Ohio News Network, and 3 years as WBNS’ weekend meteorologist. If indeed he is returning to 10, he or Mike Davis would be the best choice to replace Chris. People want a familiar name/face.

You are wrong on this whole post.  He wasn't demoted. 

And FYI,  he is heading to spectrum news 1

This board looks like a kids scribble fest

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And whio Dayton is still number 1, despite being understaffed 

Lauren Clark,  Eric Elwell and Malik Perkins left in a month's time. Cox media appears to be in no hurry on the news hires,  but did hire Meteorologist Dontae Jones to bring the weather team back to 5 people

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hdayejr said:

You are wrong on this whole post.  He wasn't demoted. 

And FYI,  he is heading to spectrum news 1

This board looks like a kids scribble fest

 

 

Was wrong about him possibly heading back to 10TV but nothing else.

After the Wolfes folded ONN’s operations in 2012, many former ONN anchors/reporters went over to 10TV. Eric was their weekend meteorologist until 2015.

No one said anything about demotion. 

Edited by ColDayNews
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.