Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

How many journalist families are there in the country? I’m only aware of the Ogles in OKC, the Ponce brothers and father in Chicago, and the Magers brothers (both retired).

• Like 1
  • Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

"...To Another Channel!"

Posted Images

How many journalist families are there in the country? I’m only aware of the Ogles in OKC, the Ponce brothers and father in Chicago, and the Magers brothers (both retired).

The Hambricks, as well; Farmer Sr. and Jr. at WSB; and the Warmoths here (dad on WFTV, son on WKMG)

• Like 1

The Hambricks, as well; Farmer Sr. and Jr. at WSB; and the Warmoths here (dad on WFTV, son on WKMG)

Don't forget Lester Holt (father) at NBC Nightly News and Stefan Holt (son) at WNBC.

• Like 1

The Rascons, although they're in more than one city. Jacob is on KPRC/Houston (and formerly of NBC News) and his dad, Art, is on KTRK. Jacob's brother and Art's son, Matt, works at WHDH in Boston, and then, Dan Rascon (Art's brother), works at KUTV in Salt Lake City.

• Like 2

Glenn Corey Corillo and son Todd Corillo, both at WTKR.

• Like 1
KFOR has Kevin and Kent, KOCO has Abigail, KWTV has Katelyn and Kelly, KOKH has nobody.

I wonder how long Kevin & Kent last at KFOR after Sinclair takes over.

• Like 2

Patrick and Megan McGrath (father and daughter). Patrick was a longtime anchor/reporter for WTTG, retired awhile back. Megan is still a morning reporter for WRC.

The late Stan Chambers and Jaime Chambers (grandfather and grandson)

Lester and Stefan Holt (father and son)

Robin and Sally-Ann Roberts (sisters)

Dr. Frank and Storm Field (father and son)

Sue and Liz Palka (mother & daughter)

Those are the few I can remember off the top of my head.

Don't forget about the Barry's in OKC (Bob Sr. and Jr.) even though both did Sports both were a father-son sports anchoring team until Bob Sr. retired in 2008

• Like 1

Fathers and offspring Robert & Karen Jordan, Dan & Lauren Jiggetts, Tim & Rafer and Jenniffer Weigel.

Chicago has a nepotism clause.

• Like 1
Fathers and offspring Robert & Karen Jordan, Dan & Lauren Jiggetts, Tim & Rafer and Jenniffer Weigel.

Chicago has a nepotism clause.

And those are the Weigel Broadcasting Weigels, right?

• Like 1
And those are the Weigel Broadcasting Weigels, right?

They're kin to the founder of WCIU, John Weigel (Tim's father and Rafer & Jenniffer's grandfather).

Shockingly enough they kept the Weigel name all this time, even though its been owned by the Shapiro family almost the entire existence.

• Like 4
ogle.jpg

It's a family tradition of The Ogles of OKC. The legends lives on.

Now all we have to do is add Katelyn in the picture and you would have 3-4 generations of the Ogles in TV News in Oklahoma City (from Jack to the Ogle Brothers to Abigail and now Katelyn)

Lacey Lett (of KAUT's Rise and Shine) is a relative of the Ogle family as well.

I didn't know Lett is related to a member of the Ogle family

Here in Louisiana: Pat Shingleton (chief weather forecaster) & his son Michael (6 & 10 pm news anchor) at WBRZ in Baton Rouge

Jillian Corder (4p anchor & 6p co-anchor) and her husband Brady Renard (sports director) at KPLC in Lake Charles. Incidentally, both Jillian & Brady worked in the Monroe, LA market, but at separate stations (KNOE & KTVE/KARD, respectively).

Then, there are the Mackel siblings at WDSU in New Orleans: Fletcher (sports anchor), Travers (investigative reporter), and Megan (chief photographer). Also, Fletcher is getting married this month to WVUE reporter/anchor Meg Gatto.

• Like 3

Ok...I'll chime in with some that I can recall...

Bill and Patti Burns...father and daughter that anchored together at KDKA (referred to as the Patty & Daddy show but was a hit with viewers)

Fred and Wally Griffith....Fred was the longtime host of WEWS' Morning Exchange and Wally was a reporter at WOIO in their early years as a CBS affiliate. He even appeared (with WOIO's blessing) on TMX for an anniversary special and his gift....a CBS 19 coffee mug!

And there's the Gumbels, we all know Greg and Bryant...and then there was Elton, who anchored sports at WCTV in Tallahassee. I believe he was a nephew to the elder Gumbels?

And then there was Jerry Peterson, longtime weatherman at WSOC in Charlotte. His son? Greg Peterson....now the primary anchor at WPMI in Mobile.

• Like 3

Shouldn't the discussion related to Family News Anchors be it's own thread? If so then we can start it and the admins can split the discussion off of this thread onto the appropriate thread

• Like 2

Let's get back on topic, shall we? Kayla Gaskins has joined WAVY as an anchor and reporter.

EDIT: She comes from WJHG in Panama City, FL

[MEDIA=twitter]989570592583180288[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Sad news at Dispatch's WTHR. Andrea Morehead announced today in a recorded message she has breast cancer.

Thoughts and prayers to Andrea and her family and friends and colleagues at WTHR.

• Like 1
I wonder how long Kevin & Kent last at KFOR after Sinclair takes over.

It's possible. Remember that ABC 33/40 in Birmingham retained several longtime personalities after Sinclair took over (James Spann, Pam Huff, Jeff Speegle, Brian Peters and Brenda Ladun, along with the now-retired Dave Baird). There are probably several other examples among the group, I don't know any more.

Lacey Lett (of KAUT's Rise and Shine) is a relative of the Ogle family as well.

I didn't know, either. How is she related to them? In-law? Cousin?

• Like 1

Karla Redditte will be taking over for Sabrina Squire at WWBT. I'm glad they decided to promote from within, rather than an outside hire. It seems more natural to have an already familiar face to viewers take over for a retiring anchor, meteorologist, etc.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/8/you-redditte-right-richmond-station-has-a-new-anchor

Also John Bachman, former KGAN/KARE/WHO anchor, and his son who works at WSB-TV.

Wasn't his son's name John too? IIRC, he moved from Atlanta to Jacksonville a few years ago.

• Like 2

KTAL's Dan and Jacque Jovic are husband and wife and so are Melissa Kakareka and James Parish of KSLA. KSLA had another married couple, Clay Ostarly and Victoria Shirley but they moved up to Roanoke, where they now work for rivaling stations, Clay on WFXR and Victoria on WDBJ.

Melissa Moon (WREG) and Melanie Moon (last seen on KPLR) are twin sisters.

• Like 1
  • rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic