Out & About

TexasTVNews

KOVR is ripe for some bean counting... good day sacramento takes up tons of resources (sac has a huge creative services team... half of which seem to exclusively work on good day material...) and makes little profit... who wants to bet a year from now it's reduced to an hour long infotainment show??

Or at least put GDS on CBS13 at 4:30-7am and CW31 7-10am. Remember, it still does second place compared to KCRA.

Or at least put GDS on CBS13 at 4:30-7am and CW31 7-10am. Remember, it still does second place compared to KCRA.

It probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to make Good Day 4-10AM and simulcast the first half on KOVR.

Are the current two shows that distinctly different to where sales can justify two different revenue streams from clients targeting (I assume) two different sets of demos?

At worst, it's an awkward lead-in to CBS This Morning?

Bob Hetherington was WUAB's first anchor when the 10:00 News started is now in real estate in Columbus.

Bob Hetherington/Charlene Brown were a long-running team here in Columbus, Sinclair ended up replacing them with Yolanda Harris and Gabe Spiegel in 2001 and later Yolanda Harris and Bob Kendrick in 2009.

His wife Lorene Wagner was the first anchor of WTTE’s newscast before Sinclair ended up consolidating the operations/rebranding as NewsCenter on ABC-6/FOX-28 in 1999...

Two legacy stations will celebrate 70 years of service...

WSB-TV celebrates 70 years by airing a special on Sunday at 7pm.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/channel-2-wsb-tv-marks-70-years-of-coverage/839025343

WXYZ will celebrate their 70 years coming in October.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/channel-7-celebrates-70-years-in-detroit

• Like 4

Two legacy stations will celebrate 70 years of service...

WSB-TV celebrates 70 years by airing a special on Sunday at 7pm.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/channel-2-wsb-tv-marks-70-years-of-coverage/839025343

WXYZ will celebrate their 70 years coming in October.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/channel-7-celebrates-70-years-in-detroit

Happy 70th to both stations!

• Like 1

Tomorrow, WATE-TV in Knoxville will be celebrating its 65th anniversary as East Tennessee's first television station. I did check their schedule, but I don't see anything about any special programming to air. But, I'll definitely be watching to see if they mention anything about their 65th anniversary.

By the way, Happy 65th anniversary to WATE, East Tennessee's first television station!!!

• Like 3

They're doing an anniversary special sometime in the next week or so, I forgot the date, at 5pm. Strange, how they only have 30 minutes to spare after 70 years, but 2 hours were spent for their 50th.

They probably don’t have a lot of the footage handy anymore. Their new facility is tapeless and I believe they donated their library to a university. It would probably be a pain to dig up stuff off site.

Edit: Looks like they donated their library to UNT shortly after their move to the new facility. Infact the UNT Library was just awarded for their work in archiving the stories from KXAS through 1979.

Edited by rkolsen

They probably don’t have a lot of the footage handy anymore. Their new facility is tapeless and I believe they donated their library to a university. It would probably be a pain to dig up stuff off site.

Edit: Looks like they donated their library to UNT shortly after their move to the new facility. Infact the UNT Library was just awarded for their work in archiving the stories from KXAS through 1979.

In that scenario the station still owns the footage, it's just the university is doing the legwork of digitizing and archiving everything. The station can use the archive footage for their special if they want to.

In that scenario the station still owns the footage, it's just the university is doing the legwork of digitizing and archiving everything. The station can use the archive footage for their special if they want to.

They still may not have access to all the footage or high quality copies.

Edited by Guest

IIRC, didn't WUPW have a 6:30pm newscast in the LIN-era? If so, why did Raycom cancel it?

They still had the 6:30 newscast when they originally consolidated with WTOL. Not sure if they cancelled it at some point or if they just moved the newscast to 7.

Well if you guys read my blog, the 6:30 p.m. newscast originated in 2010 when WUPW still was all alone until the merger with WTOL in 2012. The newscast was kept but since August 17th, the newscast was moved a half-hour later to 7:00 p.m., where it airs now.

So it was never canceled, just moved.

• Like 1

Griffin Communications has finally brought subchannels back to KSBI, apparently through a deal with Katz/Scripps. Today (October 1), the station added digital subchannels affiliated with Bounce TV (on 52.2), Laff (on 52.3), Grit (on 52.4) and Escape (on 52.5).

As of this posting, Escape continues to be carried on KAUT-DT3 in the interim (similar to how KOCO-DT2 and KSBI-DT2 both carried This TV programming in 2012 during the former's transition to a MeTV affiliation); Bounce, Grit and Laff had respectively been carried the seventh, eighth and ninth subchannels of low-power station KTOU-LD, although I cannot verify whether KLHO is still carrying them because I cannot receive its signal.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic