Out & About

TexasTVNews

Do they really need a separate team for a likely half hour show? Couldn’t they have used two of the existing 5 anchors? I wonder what’s getting jettisoned to overnights, RTM, Millionaire, Jeopardy, or IE?

My money is RTM or Millionaire, unless they ditch them entirely.

• Like 1

Do they really need a separate team for a likely half hour show? Couldn’t they have used two of the existing 5 anchors? I wonder what’s getting jettisoned to overnights, RTM, Millionaire, Jeopardy, or IE?

I’m betting it’s contractual/union issues preventing them from using the existing evening news anchors.

• Like 1

I don't think the midday anchors would work. I know Melanie Lawson has some health issues (don't know if a third show between the 11 and 5 would be viable), and Art Rascon is already on at 11, 5 and 6. The 4pm team does the 4, 6:30 and 10, so adding the 3 would stretch their schedule, too. The weekend crew that's getting the nod will surely report the rest of the night, so they're not going to be wasted on only 1 show.

Speaking of 7-9am news, apparently KXAN canceled that portion of their morning show on KNVA. That came unannounced.

The 9pm news is still intact.

That cancellation has a consequential effect on KWKT. The NMSA notes that KWKT was carrying a simulcast of the KNVA newscast under the title Fox 44 Capital News, so the Waco-Temple-Killeen market is now without a weekday 7:00 a.m. newscast because of KXAN's decision to cancel KXAN News Today on The CW Austin. Very clearly, KWKT should have launched an in-house morning newscast when its news department launched in July of last year. The timeslot appears to now be filled by syndicated E/I programs (during the 7:00 a.m. half-hour) and infomercials (from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m.).

• Like 1

I don't think the midday anchors would work. I know Melanie Lawson has some health issues (don't know if a third show between the 11 and 5 would be viable), and Art Rascon is already on at 11, 5 and 6. The 4pm team does the 4, 6:30 and 10, so adding the 3 would stretch their schedule, too. The weekend crew that's getting the nod will surely report the rest of the night, so they're not going to be wasted on only 1 show.

Didn’t realize Art was on at 6 too. What exactly is the anchor line-up?

Didn’t realize Art was on at 6 too. What exactly is the anchor line-up?

11am- Art and Melanie

4pm- Erik and Ilona

5pm- Art and Melanie

6pm- Art and Gina

6:30- Erik and Ilona

10pm- the 3-person team of Gina, Ilona and Erik

And for over a decade, Ilona only anchored at 4 and Art only anchored at 5 (30-minute appearance). So I guess 30 minutes for Chauncy and Mayra wouldn't be the craziest idea.

Hell for several years, Tom Koch anchored from 5-7 am and again at 4 pm M-F. Channel 13 has had some odd anchor lineups for sure.

What's silly to me is the 6/6:30 anchor split and the three-team 10 pm newscast. All I want to see is Tom Koch and Gina Gaston as the 6 and 10 pm anchors. Not pairing them together again makes me wonder if one of them has indicated their plans to leave soon.

• Like 3

From Mayra, The 3pm show will be a half hour. J! is moving to 1pm. Millonaire at 1:30. IE stays at 3:30pm.

[MEDIA=twitter]1034193024790814721[/MEDIA]

Poor Alex Trebek. Are Jeopardy’ ratings in Houston Really that bad? Ever since 2008, KHOU and now KTRK seem to have been alienating J! fans alike. In 2008, when the Doctors premiered, J! got bumped to 11:45pm, then after Oprah ended her talk show, KHOU moved it to 4:30pm until 2015 when it introduced a newscast at that time, and that in turn moved J! to KTRK at 3pm, But now it is downgraded yet again to 1pm. Does Houston Really Hate Jeopardy!

• Like 1

Poor Alex Trebek. Are Jeopardy’ ratings in Houston Really that bad? Ever since 2008, KHOU and now KTRK seem to have been alienating J! fans alike. In 2008, when the Doctors premiered, J! got bumped to 11:45pm, then after Oprah ended her talk show, KHOU moved it to 4:30pm until 2015 when it introduced a newscast at that time, and that in turn moved J! to KTRK at 3pm, But now it is downgraded yet again to 1pm. Does Houston Really Hate Jeopardy!

Hey better than RightThisMinute which is likely getting bumped to overnights or off the schedule entirely. It could be worse. Jeopardy! could be moved to 1am.

From Mayra, The 3pm show will be a half hour. J! is moving to 1pm. Millonaire at 1:30. IE stays at 3:30pm.

[MEDIA=twitter]1034193024790814721[/MEDIA]

1pm?! "Jeopardy"?! In the 10th largest market (Houston)????

Unless Wheel and Jeopardy! air on separate stations in the Central/Mountain time zone, it seems that Jeopardy! gets the shaft since they only really have 6:30 as access time which usually goes to WOF, unless both shows air on a FOX station (like WALA), or Jeopardy! is on the other station in a duopoly or .2 (like WLOX...where ABC has news at 6 and WOF at 6:30....and CBS on the .2 has Jeopardy! at 6 and news at 6:30)

4:30 seemed to be the optimal time paired with something like Inside Edition, but with more and more stations adding more news....

• Like 1

Jeopardy! Should of been moved to 3:30PM and a great lead-in to 4PM news. Inside Edition would be better at 1pm instead of Jeopardy! IMO-

Unless Wheel and Jeopardy! air on separate stations in the Central/Mountain time zone, it seems that Jeopardy! gets the shaft since they only really have 6:30 as access time which usually goes to WOF, unless both shows air on a FOX station (like WALA), or Jeopardy! is on the other station in a duopoly or .2 (like WLOX...where ABC has news at 6 and WOF at 6:30....and CBS on the .2 has Jeopardy! at 6 and news at 6:30)

4:30 seemed to be the optimal time paired with something like Inside Edition, but with more and more stations adding more news....

Wheel/Jeopardy! Have always been together (depending on the market) On CST WALA & WDJT have the show tag-team at 6pm and do well and KRQE airs the show at 6 & 6:30pm on MST.

On the EST side could any station take the risk and do something other stations on other times zones will do.

For example can any station run hour-long 4 & 5PM news and Jeopardy! at 6pm/Network News at 6:30pm, Local News at 7, Wheel at 7:30 EST Time or.

Hour-long 4 & 5pm News, Jeopardy! at 6pm, Local News at 6:30PM, Network News at 7, Wheel at 7:30? Again, can anybody see any market that on EST doing something

different and changing it up like the other time zones?

• Like 6

Jeopardy! Should of been moved to 3:30PM and a great lead-in to 4PM news. Inside Edition would be better at 1pm instead of Jeopardy! IMO-

Wheel/Jeopardy! Have always been together (depending on the market) On CST WALA & WDJT have the show tag-team at 6pm and do well and KRQE airs the show at 6 & 6:30pm on MST.

On the EST side could any station take the risk and do something other stations on other times zones will do.

For example can any station run hour-long 4 & 5PM news and Jeopardy! at 6pm/Network News at 6:30pm, Local News at 7, Wheel at 7:30 EST Time or.

Hour-long 4 & 5pm News, Jeopardy! at 6pm, Local News at 6:30PM, Network News at 7, Wheel at 7:30? Again, can anybody see any market that on EST doing something

different and changing it up like the other time zones?

Usually it's the competing stations that decide to put on 7pm newscast to try and counter Wheel or Jeopardy. At least Eastern & Pacific have the full hour before prime time to program locally, while Central/Mountain has the 6pm news to work around, unless they are a station that doesn't have one or is better off not running news then....

• Like 1

Who puts Jeopardy at 1pm? Terrible.

KTVT use to air Jeopardy at 11am (after TPIR), before they replace it with an 11am news.

By my estimation, Inside Edition isn't ready for airing in the 1 CT hour, so Jeopardy! is the odd one out, by default.

There been stations that aired IE at an earlier slot before. Anything before 3pm/ET, they're airing the previous day's shows.

• Like 6

WMC will be adding yet another hour of content, beginning Monday, September 10th. Up first is an expansion of the morning news back to 4:00AM, bumping Early Today to 3:30AM. Then, in the afternoon, a new lifestyle show - Bluff City Life - will air at 3:00PM, leading into the existing half-hour of regular news at 3:30PM. Bluff City Life bumps Right This Minute to 2:00PM, joining Me Time with Frangela at 2:30PM; Ellen is moving to WATN at 4:00PM, replacing Harry.

The 4AM newscast and the half-hour lifestyle show were things I had heard or seen thrown about before (mainly in Facebook Lives - for example, WMC has been constructing a new kitchen set for a month or so now), but I didn't want to post anything until it was able to be confirmed.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic