Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

"...To Another Channel!"

Posted Images

There's a massive article in El Nuevo Herald (Miami) on Spanish-language TV, and hoo boy, what's going on over there (besides a well out of date Telemundo logo)?

"Tears, fears, frustration, intrigue and painful goodbyes. They're the ingredients of any good telenovela. But on Friday, those feelings jumped from the world of fiction and flooded their creators, the employees of America's main Hispanic television networks.

Only a few don't fear for the future of their jobs. Between young bilingual Hispanics moving toward a la carte TV in English and the hostility of Donald Trump to immigrants bringing the addition of new audiences to a halt, uncertainty reigns in this fragile industry."

At Telemundo, even with new studios about to open, the issue is layoffs at Telemundo Studios, where more than 100 people lost their jobs in technical positions and the facility "felt like a funeral home". Apparently the latter is the result of an increasing shift toward production in Colombia and Mexico spurred by high executive production costs.

At Univision, the problems have been more widely reported: Falco's resignation, the abruptly canceled IPO, and a series of reassignments of other top Univision executives to positions at Televisa. Morale at UCI is low given that investors and the company's financial advisors want to see cost cuts on the order of $200 million.

That’s sad to hear especially the loss of technical positions. Were the positions specifically in the production unit or included possible automation for Un Nuevo Dia, Al Rojo Vivo and Noticiero Telemundo?

I am not sure about bilingual actors I imagine native bilingual journalists could be a differentiator in a job application for dual language duopolies (which of course is NBC/Telemundo). I wonder if they are paid more? I’ve noticed some photogs in Chicago and Boston swap back and forth between WMAQ/WSNS and WBTS/WNEU. NBC has been sharing lately - I forget the woman’s name - and in their coverage of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

Also at the end of Telemundo’s superseries they have the Telemundo endcap along with Getty Hispanic. I can only find information about their stock / news images in Latin America. Could Getty be used just to set the scene?

• Like 2
That’s sad to hear especially the loss of technical positions. Were the positions specifically in the production unit or included possible automation for Un Nuevo Dia, Al Rojo Vivo and Noticiero Telemundo?

I am not sure about bilingual actors I imagine native bilingual journalists could be a differentiator in a job application for dual language duopolies (which of course is NBC/Telemundo). I wonder if they are paid more? I’ve noticed some photogs in Chicago and Boston swap back and forth between WMAQ/WSNS and WBTS/WNEU. NBC has been sharing lately - I forget the woman’s name - and in their coverage of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

Also at the end of Telemundo’s superseries they have the Telemundo endcap along with Getty Hispanic. I can only find information about their stock / news images in Latin America. Could Getty be used just to set the scene?

It looks like these were mostly non-news positions in production, really.

• Like 5
It looks like these were mostly non-news positions in production, really.

Probably been there forever. You said executive right? Sounds like EPs.

• Like 4
New M&A.

Ion is buying Ironwood's WPME in Maine for $900K.

As per Our Maine, the current WPME intellectual unit, except Ion, will move to WPXT's spectrum on March 22. As per RabbitEars, the lineup will look like this:

WPXT - RF 43 -> 34

51.1 WPXT CW

51.2 Me TV

51.3 WPME - from 35.1

51.4 Escape - from 51.3

51.5 Laff from 35.2

New Call Sign RF 35 -> 24

35.1 Ion - from 35.2

35.2 Qubo

35.3 Ion Life

35.4 Ion Shop

35.5 QVC

35.6 HSN

Source: Any Ion Station

• Like 2
KTEN, DMA 160, has a posting for their Chief Meteorologist position. The reason I post this is because it appears that the successful candidate will be succeeding long time CM Alan Mitchell, who has been with the station since 1995.

I wonder if Alan Mitchell retired? That may be why KTEN has an opening for the Chief Meteorologist job

• Like 3
Some Pittsburgh updates:

Former WTAE personality Frank Cappelli has passed.

http://www.pbrtv.com/in-memoriam-frank-cappelli/

Still remember Saturday mornings when WISN carried his show (and so did Nick Jr. before they decided marketing was better than educational value). Great guy with a big heart, and Pittsburgh had a deep tradition of great children's shows. He'll definitely be missed.

Not yet, Mitchell is still on the air.

So basically KTEN is hiring a Meteorologist who will ultimately suceed Mitchell as their Chief Meteorologist if I'm reading correctly

WNCN rebrands to CBS 17. I always thought that's what they should have been called after the affiliation swap with WRAL, not "CBS North Carolina". http://www.cbs17.com/news/cbs-north-carolina-rebrands-as-cbs-17/1048220823

Same logo as WSPA as well. I wonder if a rebranding of WNCT is coming? Also by calling it CBS North Carolina, they would have had to get WFMY (at times rumored) and WBTV (not going to happen unless they make a trade for it) to complement it.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, how would that logo look with a 9 on WNCT? It is probably very workable by maintaining the font and rounding the 7 to a 9. It would look weird on some numbers, but the placement of the CBS eye would actually work well for WNCT too.

It would look really awkward with a "round bottom" number like 3, 5, 6, 8 or 0 though, and even with a 1, 2 or 4 it wouldn't look as good.

• Like 2
WNCN rebrands to CBS 17. I always thought that's what they should have been called after the affiliation swap with WRAL, not "CBS North Carolina". http://www.cbs17.com/news/cbs-north-carolina-rebrands-as-cbs-17/1048220823

Yay! CBS North Carolina is gone at last!! I’m guessing new graphics too, also they finally dumped Canvas for CBS Local by SAM.

Honestly, I want to read that logo as “17 WNCN” or “17 News”, but it beats “CBS North Carolina”.

• Like 2
  • rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic