Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

13836391_G.jpg

Sad news out of Birmingham today, and it is with a very heavy heart we're sad to say that former long time WBRC morning and midday anchor Bill Bolen

has passed away today. Bolen worked at WBRC-TV (back when 'BRC was an ABC affiliate before switching to FOX in '96) for 40 years until he retired

almost seven years ago (January 28, 2010). Bolen came to 'BRC in 1969 an anchored the 10PM News before moving to mornings in 1973.

Bill Bolen was 81 years old. Thoughts and prayers are with Bill's family and to Mr. Bolen's extended family at WBRC-TV FOX 6.

Rest in Peace, Bill and Godspeed.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/35388666/bill-bolen-longtime-wbrc-anchor-has-passed-away

One of the best in Alabama, ruling mornings and middays for a long time. RIP.

• Like 1
  • Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

"...To Another Channel!"

Posted Images

Veteran WPLG anchor Diane Magnum back on air in Miami on a temporary basis at WFOR. Former WPLG anchor Jen Herrera was also offered the gig. She replaces Vanessa Borge who was suddenly let go.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/jose-lambiet/article193012704.html

I mentioned it in the shoutbox when I watched WFOR one time and was surprised to see Diane Magnum on-air.

Summary:

Jen didn't want it because she didn't want to do TV permanently again.

Vanessa got into a feud with WFOR because of a vacation in L.A. and went to tour KCBS-KCAL while at it to possibly find a job there, which made WFOR management mad, which is why she left.

So glad to see Diane again!

• Like 3
I mentioned it in the shoutbox when I watched WFOR one time and was surprised to see Diane Magnum on-air.

Summary:

Vanessa got into a feud with WFOR because of a vacation in L.A. and went to tour KCBS-KCAL while at it to possibly find a job there, which made WFOR management mad, which is why she left.

Yep, it was surprising to see Vanesasa go because she just accepted the promotion but the article explains it all. So far, she has not resufarced anywhere else. I do hope she lands back on her feet. Jen is one of my favorites, I would have loved if she took the job full time but alas.
  • Like 2
Veteran WPLG anchor Diane Magnum back on air in Miami on a temporary basis at WFOR. Former WPLG anchor Jen Herrera was also offered the gig. She replaces Vanessa Borge who was suddenly let go.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/jose-lambiet/article193012704.html

Summary:

Isn’t it somewhat common for people to visit sister stations or those unrelated to their own when on vacation especially if you have friends working there? If your on Instagram you’ll see plenty of visits to other stations while on vacation - usually to see old friends.

Could it be as simple as someone at KCBS/KCAL heard she was there visiting from their sister station, heard about the promotion and wanted to talk?

• Like 1

Could it be as simple as someone at KCBS/KCAL heard she was there visiting from their sister station, heard about the promotion and wanted to talk?

Yep...

Or even more sinister...

Sometimes talent will show up to other stations to visit friends...and "be

seen" exclusively for gossip and negotiation reasons.

Make 'em think you are being shopped....when you are not.

...and sometimes that backfires.

• Like 3
Isn’t it somewhat common for people to visit sister stations or those unrelated to their own when on vacation especially if you have friends working there? If your on Instagram you’ll see plenty of visits to other stations while on vacation - usually to see old friends.

I've seen it quite often, especially former on-air talent visiting their old station if they happen to be passing through the area or somehow on assignment in their old market.

• Like 5
Steve Doerr @ WGCL....It time for Fred to relax before torturing another shop.

Doerr at least had some success at WOIO (alongside Bill Applegate) but that might not be the best comparison to make.

• Like 3
New M&A.

It looks like Estrella wants to buy Miami's Spanish indie WGEN for $11M.

I love Estrella TV more than Telemundo in the 90's.

Estrella has only one set for all it's shows...

The only have one little person...but he does all the shows.

And the only have 3 skanky go-go girls which get rotated all afternoon through all the various creepy shows.

...and a donkey...and a few chickens.

Full Disclosure: I am 1/3 Mexican and I live near the border.

I also once bought a "slimmer" thing off one of the ads they run....but it didn't work.

(sad trumpet.wav)

• Like 2
New M&A.

It looks like Estrella wants to buy Miami's Spanish indie WGEN for $11M.

I don't think its a Spanish indie. I think its affiliated with Azteca America.

Unrelated to that...

KRGV 5.2 has been refreshed and rebranded as a local English/Spanish independent station known as "Somos El Valle." I bring this up because it now airs all newscasts from 5.1 as simulcasts, airs another two hours of live morning news from 7:00-9:00 a.m., airs a new one-hour nightly Spanish-language newscast at 9:00 and the weeknight newscast at 10:30 p.m. is now exclusively on 5.2

http://www.krgv.com/story/37141987/somos-el-valle-programming

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic