Out & About

TexasTVNews

If you're not WSB or WAGA, it seems like Atlanta stations like throwing money at high-power talent or ex-CNN'ers (especially those who didn't want to do 'here's the story, here's the panel, I'm the referee'-style anchoring) in order to try to beat those stations. I don't think it's really worked though.

Probably because they have the stigma of "former CNN anchor" attached to their name.

Hasn't worked? I beg to differ. WSB has Cinnamon Linda Stouffer in the mornings, longtime CNN Headline News anchor and she's great! Her and Fred Blankenship are a solid team (and should arguably be on nights). Nothing against Justin Farmer and Jovita Moore, but they're a bit stiff for my taste.

Hasn't worked? I beg to differ. WSB has Cinnamon Linda Stouffer in the mornings, longtime CNN Headline News anchor and she's great! Her and Fred Blankenship are a solid team (and should arguably be on nights). Nothing against Justin Farmer and Jovita Moore, but they're a bit stiff for my taste.

Fred and Linda are good and maybe they should be on the anchor desk at Noon and 4pm. However, WSB-TV has never been that station that laid back, but everything is hard news. Justin and Jovita they do well. Maybe John Bachman was more youthful looking and seem more exciting than Justin. If your looking for happy and friendly and laid back that always been WXIA. WAGA just follows what WSB does. After 30 years of operation WGCL is still trying to find it niche.

• Like 1

WEWS has gotten flack from Newburgh Heights residents (a city in Cleveland, OH) over its handling of its attempt to interview a rape victim. The police chief showed up and questioned them before telling them to leave. Once body cam footage of the situation was posted on the Newburgh Heights Police Department Facebook page, the station got slammed with non-stop hate (no one stood up for the station, though WEWS since apologized). The chief even posted that the station was receiving death threats.

Now FTVLive has reported the fallout over the situation. The two news managers responsible for sending the reporter and his crew over to the victim's house have been fired. It is not reported which two managers got the axe, though news director Jeff Harris is leaving for the same gig at WBBM in Chicago.

• Like 1

How does one go from filling in on a flagship network news program to the lowest rated revolving door in DMA 10?

Keyword is "filling in." He was a prominent face at MSNBC and had a consistent slot for a while. Then he didn't. It was pretty clear that his time at NBC was up. He probably could have stuck around NYC to try to find something else, but think of how many other people are doing that while salivating at the chance to get hired fulltime somewhere?

The other big factor is probably money. Meredith is no small company, and they were probably able to offer him something worthwhile to be main anchor, even if it's a last place station. Plus, didn't he work for CNN in Atlanta for a while and/or his husband also has connections to Atlanta?

As far as career development goes, I suppose it's a step down from being a midday anchor on MSNBC, but it's probably a step up in terms of quality of life.

• Like 2

Keyword is "filling in." He was a prominent face at MSNBC and had a consistent slot for a while. Then he didn't. It was pretty clear that his time at NBC was up. He probably could have stuck around NYC to try to find something else, but think of how many other people are doing that while salivating at the chance to get hired fulltime somewhere?

The other big factor is probably money. Meredith is no small company, and they were probably able to offer him something worthwhile to be main anchor, even if it's a last place station. Plus, didn't he work for CNN in Atlanta for a while and/or his husband also has connections to Atlanta?

As far as career development goes, I suppose it's a step down from being a midday anchor on MSNBC, but it's probably a step up in terms of quality of life.

He did work for CNN when he came out and revealed that he was abused in high school by a priest. Then I think he went to work for The Insider but then supposed nude photos of him came out and he didn’t appear on the show but I believe they continued to pay him. Since he didn’t appear on the show makes me think the photos may be really him. Then he started filling in for NBC and MSNBC for a year or two before getting a regular gig.

• Like 3

They have used variations of those logos and graphics in the past. Its definitely the sign of something new ahead but this has been the slowest implementation of this new logo and graphics I've ever seen. Almost all their promos now involve graphics like those.

And based on the promos I've seen, they do seem to be going with "KMOV 4".

It's time for a refresh, those Belo graphics have been in use for over 4 years now and they haven't aged that well.

I was at a fair in downtown St. Louis today and happened to walk past KMOV. This is what I saw.

Make from it what you will.

20180707_120119.thumb.jpg.6eb676402be88f67bd4b06e7b1c421b2.jpg

20180707_121300.thumb.jpg.ac3beaaf0efbe2425928a90e24f3563e.jpg

20180707_131729.thumb.jpg.68eff772be43db83fba5667c836ade78.jpg

• Like 4

I was at a fair in downtown St. Louis today and happened to walk past KMOV. This is what I saw.

I'm beginning to think that KMOV will probably drop the "News 4" moniker and become "KMOV 4 News" to match that of their cross-state sister KCTV

• Like 4

How much for one of those KMOV blue bug screens???

...because I want one for camping.

• Like 4

KOCO is not in last place and neither is KSTP.

Oh, really? Anyone familiar with Minneapolis TV can tell you KSTP has been in the gutter since ... forever. Thus the neverending tweaks, including talent. Hello, Paul. OKC might have a little more wiggle room depending on how well KOCO did in any given book and how poorly KOKH may have done. If your idea of successful is fighting for 3rd or 4th place, local TV isn't for you.

• Like 6

Oh, really? Anyone familiar with Minneapolis TV can tell you KSTP has been in the gutter since ... forever. Thus the neverending tweaks, including talent. Hello, Paul. OKC might have a little more wiggle room depending on how well KOCO did in any given book and how poorly KOKH may have done. If your idea of successful is fighting for 3rd or 4th place, local TV isn't for you.

The problem is none of the OKC-area newspapers report on the Ratings Sweeps so it's difficult to gauge how KWTV/KFOR/KOCO/KOKH is doing in the ratings

Get ready for FTVLive's ego boosting "You heard it here first" posts...

I hear he has a spycam pointed toward that revolving door at WGCL...another cam at the Fulton Co, Jail...and another at the local AA meeting clubhouse.

You heard it here first..

• Like 3

The Paul Folger - Jessica Schambach era at KOCO is soon coming to an end...

http://kstp.com/news/kstp-5-eyewitness-news-welcomes-paul-folger-to-anchor-desk/4982236/

So that means, unless they hire another male anchor, we could be looking at something seldom, if ever, attempted in local television, where each of a single station's weekday anchor teams are both the same gender.

Keep in mind that Abigail Ogle was promoted to weekday evenings eleven months ago, and now co-anchors the 6:00 p.m. newscast (in addition to reporting at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m.). Around the same time, Maggie Carlo took over as weekday morning co-anchor alongside Markie Martin, with whom Abigail co-anchored on the 4:30-7:00 and 9:00 a.m. broadcasts beforehand.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic