Out & About

TexasTVNews

And like the nice little lamb that Matt was...

He put on a brave little face...and managed to crack a brave little final parting smile...to his fellow workers...

...As they led him off to slaughter.

Who's next? I'm thinking Barbara-Lee. $$

Who's next? I'm thinking Barbara-Lee. $$

I would space it out a bit...expect some EP's and dept heads to get "the visit"...lop-off talent in 4 month intervals with completion by June 2019.

I would make a list...

But it's a little close to home now...

Maybe I'm becoming a softie.

• Like 2

WorldNow/Frankly just needs to go away

...like 5 years ago. They've become the new Internet Broadcasting System (minus the channelX0000.com sites.

The thing that annoys me to the highest heaven is how distant stories are badged LOCALLY by Google searches...

For example, if a Trader Joe's opens in Nashville and I'm googling it in Pensacola, then I'll get a search result from FOX10TV.com with the WSMV.com story seamlessly integrated into the WALA site. If it was a generic story, my hopes would be up thiking Trader Joe's was opening locally (when it happened in Nashville all along...)

• Like 4

More changes at KXTV in Sacramento...

Morning Blend anchor Megan Telles reassigned to upcoming 4pm show debuting this fall...Walt Gray holding down the fort for the Blend...

9am/11am newscast cancelled, internet show Extra Shot, which has been "under reconstruction" cancelled as well (?)

Paid lifestyle show Sac and Co moves to 9am, Daily Blast Live is now at 11am.

Okay, maybe it hasn't been ten years, but the current designs are still several years old. In fact, it looks like WSMV's current site design has been around since at least September of 2009.

WorldNow/Frankly just needs to go away

...like 5 years ago. They've become the new Internet Broadcasting System (minus the channelX0000.com sites.

The thing that annoys me to the highest heaven is how distant stories are badged LOCALLY by Google searches...

For example, if a Trader Joe's opens in Nashville and I'm googling it in Pensacola, then I'll get a search result from FOX10TV.com with the WSMV.com story seamlessly integrated into the WALA site. If it was a generic story, my hopes would be up thiking Trader Joe's was opening locally (when it happened in Nashville all along...)

I was commenting on WSMV and other Meredith sites looking like they were from 2002. Here's the thing, there's the "old" WorldNow/Frankly platform that sites like WSMV are on and then there is the updated new platform that other sites like WGCL and AZFamily.com are on. KMOV is also on the updated platform.

Meanwhile Meredith's corporate site is built on Drupal, which itself is a pretty decent and solid CMS. Why they don't just convert the TV stations over is beyond me.

I was commenting on WSMV and other Meredith sites looking like they were from 2002. Here's the thing, there's the "old" WorldNow/Frankly platform that sites like WSMV are on and then there is the updated new platform that other sites like WGCL and AZFamily.com are on. KMOV is also on the updated platform.

Meanwhile Meredith's corporate site is built on Drupal, which itself is a pretty decent and solid CMS. Why they don't just convert the TV stations over is beyond me.

The AZFamily site was not converted until the merger of the KTVK and KPHO sites and web presences. Until that time, kpho.com was on the old platform and azfamily.com was on something similar but with a slightly newer look.

Lorenzo Hall (formerly of WTVR and soon WTIC) is heading to WUSA 9...

[MEDIA=twitter]1012004701829849088[/MEDIA]

...and also, I missed this news: there's another departure at WRIC. Anchor/reporter Amy Lacey left the station last week after 14 years.

[MEDIA=twitter]1011217037509701636[/MEDIA]

FTVLIVE.com is reporting that he hearing Thomas Roberts from MSNBC, ET & HLN will be the new main male anchor at CBS46 in Atlanta.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/7/3/exclusive-former-msnbc-to-resurface-in-atlanta

This was mentioned in the shoutbox. I think it's an awesome choice, but I question whether they should have just continued with their Sharon Reed and Tracye Hutchins combo and break the long-standing anchor stigma that there has to be a lead male anchor and a lead female anchor, and at least one of them should be an ethnicity other than white on weeknight newscasts. It would be the third or fourth time Tracye was passed over for a position she deserves.

• Like 3

This was mentioned in the shoutbox. I think it's an awesome choice, but I question whether they should have just continued with their Sharon Reed and Tracye Hutchins combo and break the long-standing anchor stigma that there has to be a lead male anchor and a lead female anchor, and at least one of them should be an ethnicity other than white on weeknight newscasts. It would be the third or fourth time Tracye was passed over for a position she deserves.

Tracye certainly could be add in the 4 & 9pm news while Sharon and Thomas can be at 5,6,11pm standard. Sharon is consider the franchise, and worked with the news director in Cleveland, so we know she not going to leave. However some more pieces could be addes IMO.

• Like 1

FTVLIVE.com is reporting that he hearing Thomas Roberts from MSNBC, ET & HLN will be the new main male anchor at CBS46 in Atlanta.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/7/3/exclusive-former-msnbc-to-resurface-in-atlanta

Thomas Roberts is an impressive get for CBS 46 that has struggled for years to gain ratings traction or maintain consistent staffing or management.

How does one go from filling in on a flagship network news program to the lowest rated revolving door in DMA 10?

• Like 4

While we're on the topic of WGCL I've noticed that they've ditched their "Local. Real. Everywhere" slogan that they debuted with new graphics last fall. It is no longer used in opens and it's not mentioned at all in promos.

I noticed this back in April, don't know if it was ditched earlier than that.

• Like 1

While we're on the topic of WGCL I've noticed that they've ditched their "Local. Real. Everywhere" slogan that they debuted with new graphics last fall. It is no longer used in opens and it's not mentioned at all in promos.

I noticed this back in April, don't know if it was ditched earlier than that.

I think it was ever since the new GM took over, so at least since then. That's a shame, I really really liked that slogan.

• Like 2

Here's the thing, there's the "old" WorldNow/Frankly platform that sites like WSMV are on and then there is the updated new platform that other sites like WGCL and AZFamily.com are on. KMOV is also on the updated platform.

All three of those sites may be on the updated platform, but only AZFamily.com has an updated design -- and even then, it's not responsive.

• Like 1

How does one go from filling in on a flagship network news program to the lowest rated revolving door in DMA 10?

If you're not WSB or WAGA, it seems like Atlanta stations like throwing money at high-power talent or ex-CNN'ers (especially those who didn't want to do 'here's the story, here's the panel, I'm the referee'-style anchoring) in order to try to beat those stations. I don't think it's really worked though.

Someone fired shots at the WKRG Studios in Mobile late Tuesday or early Wednesday...

https://www.wkrg.com/news/mobile-county/police-investigate-shots-fired-at-wkrg-building/1284019394

This was likely related to a shooting that happened nearby at the Shoppes of Bel-Air that same night. WKRG's studios are right across the street from there.

If you're not WSB or WAGA, it seems like Atlanta stations like throwing money at high-power talent or ex-CNN'ers (especially those who didn't want to do 'here's the story, here's the panel, I'm the referee'-style anchoring) in order to try to beat those stations. I don't think it's really worked though.

Probably because they have the stigma of "former CNN anchor" attached to their name.

• Like 1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic