Out & About

TexasTVNews

here's WFFT's open with the new logo.

Ick. That's pretty bad. The worst part about it is that this is Heartland's first go-around at re-branding a station and this could roll out to their other stations. For a group that I was fascinated to see what they would be like, this is extremely disappointing.

• Like 1

I can’t get over how ugly those handheld prompter controllers that TEGNA and FOX O&Os use. They’re literally all I can look at whenever I see them in use. You’d think due to their size they could motivate Autoscript to make a more discrete product.

And the gripping motion. It’s like they are squeezing a stress ball.

• Like 1

Ick. That's pretty bad. The worst part about it is that this is Heartland's first go-around at re-branding a station and this could roll out to their other stations. For a group that I was fascinated to see what they would be like, this is extremely disappointing.

Didn't they rebrand WKTV or at least do a total graphic overhaul once they came in and upgraded them to HD?

• Like 1

There's a massive article in El Nuevo Herald (Miami) on Spanish-language TV, and hoo boy, what's going on over there (besides a well out of date Telemundo logo)?

"Tears, fears, frustration, intrigue and painful goodbyes. They're the ingredients of any good telenovela. But on Friday, those feelings jumped from the world of fiction and flooded their creators, the employees of America's main Hispanic television networks.

Only a few don't fear for the future of their jobs. Between young bilingual Hispanics moving toward a la carte TV in English and the hostility of Donald Trump to immigrants bringing the addition of new audiences to a halt, uncertainty reigns in this fragile industry."

At Telemundo, even with new studios about to open, the issue is layoffs at Telemundo Studios, where more than 100 people lost their jobs in technical positions and the facility "felt like a funeral home". Apparently the latter is the result of an increasing shift toward production in Colombia and Mexico spurred by high executive production costs.

At Univision, the problems have been more widely reported: Falco's resignation, the abruptly canceled IPO, and a series of reassignments of other top Univision executives to positions at Televisa. Morale at UCI is low given that investors and the company's financial advisors want to see cost cuts on the order of $200 million.

• Like 3

Heartland doesn't really have much design foresight aside from passing down some warmed over graphics packages from big markets that looked passable 10 years ago. They're hoping that a team of consultants and "late breaking news" will be enough to solve any branding problems in their markets.

• Like 3

Like her former co-anchor Paul Piaskoski, who's apparently pursing a law career via his Linkedin, Michele McCormack has found a career after TV, and has joined the Hunger Task Force as a manger. I hope they both enjoy life after the screen, especially at WDJT...they deserve it. Just ask KKTV's Brian Bledsoe on how life's after 58's been going after a decade out of there, I bet Paul and Michele will have a similar positive experience.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/television-radio/2018/03/09/former-wdjt-tv-anchor-reporter-michele-mccormack-joins-hunger-task-force/399222002/

Heartland doesn't really have much design foresight aside from passing down some warmed over graphics packages from big markets that looked passable 10 years ago. They're hoping that a team of consultants and "late breaking news" will be enough to solve any branding problems in their markets.

I feel like local TV design in general is kind of circling the drain. Between standardization sucking the creativity out of everything (though somehow the new Hearst graphics are amazing) and the fact that the trend towards flat design has inspired everything to look pretty bland or similar, I am not sure what stations ought to do. At least the new TEGNA graphics have some inspired color choices though.

• Like 3

I'm staying in Atlanta tonight and was watching the local newscasts. It seems CBS46 has shortened their opens, I'll try to get some screen grabs later tonight. They phased the "Local. Real. Everywhere." part out. The v/o now goes "CBS46 News at _____ starts now." The open also abruptly froze on the "starts now" titlecard, it looks cheap.

Like her former co-anchor Paul Piaskoski, who's apparently pursing a law career via his Linkedin, Michele McCormack has found a career after TV, and has joined the Hunger Task Force as a manger.

WDJT and the HTF do an on-air Thanksgiving give-a-thon...I wonder how that may go this year (they just did a March Madness-themed food drive but Michelle didn't appear there). Hopefully by then everything will be bygones between everyone.

I feel like local TV design in general is kind of circling the drain. Between standardization sucking the creativity out of everything (though somehow the new Hearst graphics are amazing) and the fact that the trend towards flat design has inspired everything to look pretty bland or similar, I am not sure what stations ought to do. At least the new TEGNA graphics have some inspired color choices though.

It's kind of hard when the market for broadcast motion design specific to TV news has become so concentrated among large clients that have at times brought the task in-house.

———

Meanwhile, in a rare dispatch from sort-of-Mexico, sort-of-not...

K26KJ-D (El Paso)'s third digital subchannel was leased last year to a local TV station out of the state capital of Chihuahua, Canal 28 (XHABC-TDT). It was a move that allowed this station to get broadcast coverage in the Juárez-El Paso area. They're beginning program production in Juárez soon as well including local news and information.

Because "Canal 25.3" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though, the station system (there's also a direct repeater in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc) is using a different name, both in Juárez generally and to a lesser extent in Chihuahua Capital...

KYUFZfn.png

ABC Televisión.

Now, the logo of ABC Televisión will not make you think of the alphabet network. It is not the shameful ripoff of ABC Radio, another unrelated venture whose logo should be the subject of a trademark dispute:

abc-logotipo.png

But still, calling yourself ABC in a border market? I get it, the audiences are kind of differentiated, and it'd be hard to mistake this for KVIA, but come on!

It's kind of hard when the market for broadcast motion design specific to TV news has become so concentrated among large clients that have at times brought the task in-house.

———

Meanwhile, in a rare dispatch from sort-of-Mexico, sort-of-not...

K26KJ-D (El Paso)'s third digital subchannel was leased last year to a local TV station out of the state capital of Chihuahua, Canal 28 (XHABC-TDT). It was a move that allowed this station to get broadcast coverage in the Juárez-El Paso area. They're beginning program production in Juárez soon as well including local news and information.

Because "Canal 25.3" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though, the station system (there's also a direct repeater in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc) is using a different name, both in Juárez generally and to a lesser extent in Chihuahua Capital...

KYUFZfn.png

ABC Televisión.

Now, the logo of ABC Televisión will not make you think of the alphabet network. It is not the shameful ripoff of ABC Radio, another unrelated venture whose logo should be the subject of a trademark dispute:

abc-logotipo.png

But still, calling yourself ABC in a border market? I get it, the audiences are kind of differentiated, and it'd be hard to mistake this for KVIA, but come on!

ABC 7 and ABC 7-60 AM. Yeah.

ABC 7 and ABC 7-60 AM. Yeah.

Worth noting: 760 AM is in Mexico City and they have no stations in Juárez. They *do* have two in Mexicali, which is their only border market. But yeah, that logo is a trademark dispute walking.

It's the radio arm of Organización Editorial Mexicana (OEM), one of the country's largest newspaper publishers.

Worth noting: 760 AM is in Mexico City and they have no stations in Juárez. They *do* have two in Mexicali, which is their only border market. But yeah, that logo is a trademark dispute walking.

It's the radio arm of Organización Editorial Mexicana (OEM), one of the country's largest newspaper publishers.

And they couldn't think of OEM Radio. Interesting.

• Like 1

And they couldn't think of OEM Radio. Interesting.

The reason why they are ABC in the first place is their Mexico City station is XEABC-AM and has been since it signed on in 1964. The Paul Rand-esque lettering was not used until 1993, though.

I thought this was weird, that a Boston-native ND would suddenly move down to Charlotte. What's happening at WFXT?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/3/12/is-cox-selling-boston-station

I think that Fox would have a right of first refusal to re-re-buy and with Boston possibly their odd man out in the Top 20 they may want it back. That and given how they're cashing out of print and possibly radio that Cox may be winding down.

This borders on Speculatron territory but a Hearst/Cox lashup would make a lot of sense. I wonder what would happen in Orlando and Pittsburgh though.

• Like 3

I thought this was weird, that a Boston-native ND would suddenly move down to Charlotte. What's happening at WFXT?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/3/12/is-cox-selling-boston-station

I think Cox either realized that Fox was going to buy up Fox stations and they were probably looking at buying back WFXT or they're about to cash out on it's properties (radio, papers and broadcasting) this can be discussed in the Speculation thread.

Anyways, it looks like that Telemundo's WWIS is adding a 6am and a 12pm newscast which is set to debut on Monday, April 2nd

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/111898/telemundos-wwsi-adding-two-newscasts

• Like 1

There's a massive article in El Nuevo Herald (Miami) on Spanish-language TV, and hoo boy, what's going on over there (besides a well out of date Telemundo logo)?

"Tears, fears, frustration, intrigue and painful goodbyes. They're the ingredients of any good telenovela. But on Friday, those feelings jumped from the world of fiction and flooded their creators, the employees of America's main Hispanic television networks.

Only a few don't fear for the future of their jobs. Between young bilingual Hispanics moving toward a la carte TV in English and the hostility of Donald Trump to immigrants bringing the addition of new audiences to a halt, uncertainty reigns in this fragile industry."

At Telemundo, even with new studios about to open, the issue is layoffs at Telemundo Studios, where more than 100 people lost their jobs in technical positions and the facility "felt like a funeral home". Apparently the latter is the result of an increasing shift toward production in Colombia and Mexico spurred by high executive production costs.

At Univision, the problems have been more widely reported: Falco's resignation, the abruptly canceled IPO, and a series of reassignments of other top Univision executives to positions at Televisa. Morale at UCI is low given that investors and the company's financial advisors want to see cost cuts on the order of $200 million.

That’s sad to hear especially the loss of technical positions. Were the positions specifically in the production unit or included possible automation for Un Nuevo Dia, Al Rojo Vivo and Noticiero Telemundo?

I am not sure about bilingual actors I imagine native bilingual journalists could be a differentiator in a job application for dual language duopolies (which of course is NBC/Telemundo). I wonder if they are paid more? I’ve noticed some photogs in Chicago and Boston swap back and forth between WMAQ/WSNS and WBTS/WNEU. NBC has been sharing lately - I forget the woman’s name - and in their coverage of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

Also at the end of Telemundo’s superseries they have the Telemundo endcap along with Getty Hispanic. I can only find information about their stock / news images in Latin America. Could Getty be used just to set the scene?

• Like 2

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic