Out & About

TexasTVNews

DISCLAIMER: I'm half Puerto Rican so I had to share this and this is wonderful news for public broadcasting.

We already know you are. And why the need for this disclaimer in relation to the rest of the post?

DISCLAIMER: I’m full American.

• Like 3

Holy bleep. I can't believe I'm saying this but... PBS is back in Puerto Rico!

So yes, PBS is back in Puerto Rico. Wonderful news for a country still reeling from Hurricane Maria.

DISCLAIMER: I'm half Puerto Rican so I had to share this and this is wonderful news for public broadcasting.

This is also great news for Koreans and Mexicans visiting Puerto Rico, as they will also be able to enjoy the many offerings of these great PBS stations.

Disclaimer: I'm American, Korean and Mexican.

I enjoy Kimchi tacos...and long walks on the beach with my horse "Mr.Chu"

• Like 2

Because its a Puerto Rican station. Duh.

Duh to you. So anytime you talk about Miami stations make sure you put a disclaimer saying your from Miami. Or anytime you talk about Gainesville stations don’t forget to put up a disclaimer that it’s the current market your living in. Or anytime you talk about Jacksonville stations put up a disclaimer saying that’s your secondary home market. Or hell, anytime you talk about any U.S. stations you should put a disclaimer your an American citizen. I could go on.

An appropriate use of a “disclaimer” would be you work for that station. Duh.

• Like 3

TO GET BACK ON TOPIC, it looks like Asa Stackel will be possibly the new co-anchor on WNYT’s morning newscast, replacing Phil Bayly. Also it appears Jason Gough has also left, as I was on their “First Warning Weather” app today and saw that he was removed.

8044991F-5B59-4321-8EB7-612C00482CAC.thumb.png.7da15ff121a031a879a379be499eb80b.png

Duh to you. So anytime you talk about Miami stations make sure you put a disclaimer saying your from Miami. Or anytime you talk about Gainesville stations don’t forget to put up a disclaimer that it’s the current market your living in. Or anytime you talk about Jacksonville stations put up a disclaimer saying that’s your secondary home market. Or hell, anytime you talk about any U.S. stations you should put a disclaimer your an American citizen. I could go on.

An appropriate use of a “disclaimer” would be you work for that station. Duh.

Fair to say that then. And I respect that.

Unrelated to that...

WCJB's Tracy West has left the station after just a year and a half. She has been replaced by Haley Wade, who now anchors The Morning Edition and its news at noon.

• Like 3

TO GET BACK ON TOPIC, it looks like Asa Stackel will be possibly the new co-anchor on WNYT’s morning newscast, replacing Phil Bayly. Also it appears Jason Gough has also left, as I was on their “First Warning Weather” app today and saw that he was removed.

Gough's last day was yesterday. This was reported a while back, he's going on a sabbatical to pursue other projects ranging from writing a book about assorted childhood abuses he survived to focusing on a Sunday morning show he created and produces, Wine About The Weather. The fun question is who will fill his shoes because his doing the late news was an insurance policy for if Bob Kovachick were to retire. They really have no weather bench anymore since their hires the last five years either a) left the market [WFXR's Jason Caterina and KKTV's Jordan Sherman] or b) are longtime vet retreads [Andy Gregorio was at WTEN forever and Neal Estano did THREE stints at WRGB with stops in-between at WJXT, then WBAL].

That morning move is a path of least resistance as who else do they really have? The person they wanted in such a role left the business and all apologies to the weekenders but they've kind've calcified into that role after so long. Asa's a caretaker of sorts.

• Like 4

[quote name='NCFLMedia']Holy bleep. I can't believe I'm saying this but... PBS is back in Puerto Rico! For those who don't know, WMTJ Channel 40 was taken off air due to Hurricane Maria and went off-air forever. However, according to Wikipedia, on Wednesday, December 20th, WMTJ returned to the air via Liberty Puerto Rico (a cable provider there) and some of PBS' programming was seen on Channels 3 and 67 and in HD on channels 203 and 267. On Monday, January 2nd, just months after the supposed farewell to the station, WMTJ actually resumed regular over-the-air broadcasting operations via WSTE-DT (Teleisla) and can be seen on the same channel 40.1 from the transmitter located in Aguas Buenas. In other words, that transmitter is now home to both WSTE and WMTJ, even though they broadcast on different digital channels (WSTE is 7 and WMTJ is 16 but is moving to 15). So yes, PBS is back in Puerto Rico. Wonderful news for a country still reeling from Hurricane Maria. [B]DISCLAIMER[/B]: I'm half Puerto Rican so I had to share this and this is wonderful news for public broadcasting.[/QUOTE] That’s a good thing. With things get back to a somewhat sense of normalcy. David Begnaud has been posting statistics. I think most of the island has clean water and per this tweet they are back up to generating 85% of electricity but only 65% has service. [COLOR=#000000][MEDIA=twitter]954569328963104768[/MEDIA][/COLOR] Additionally, WMTJ likely needed to get back on the air ASAP so their license won’t be revoked (after 1 year it’s cancelled). Although I am guessing FCC is likely to bend the rules given the scope of the disaster. WMTJ and 70 other TV stations have been granted a special temporary authority, per a [URL='https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2018/db0119/DOC-348792A1.pdf']press release[/URL] that went out Friday January 19 at 11AM. I don’t know what the legalities may be with them broadcasting from WSTE in regards to them keeping their license in the long run - maybe @Thundershock MN knows. I’m putting out a wild guess that the transmissions on WSTE will not count unless they set up a channel sharing arrangement. Currently there appears to be no mention of a future channel sharing arrangement on the FCC website. You can search [URL='https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/publicAppSearch.html']here[/URL] (enter WSTE or WMTJ as calls) and see that there’s nothing regarding a future CSA.

KSWB FOX 5 San Diego debuts new studio. The new glass desk (very similar to the one used by CBS This Morning) provides a lot of under desk lighting and when the anchors and staff sit at the desk appear ghostly with this added light.

http://www.kson.com/blogs/nick/kswbfox-5-san-diego-debut-new-news-set-and-redesigned-studio

Florida wants to make Daylight Saving time year round...and move the counties in Central time over to Eastern like the rest of the state.

http://www.wjhg.com/content/news/Bill-to-keep-Florida-on-Daylight-Saving-Time-all-year-moves-forward-470960303.html

Panama City would be the only market to have consistency since it's already bisected by the time line; the easternmost counties are in Eastern already.

It would get dicey with Tallahassee and Jacksonville since they border Georgia, and wreak havoc in Mobile-Pensacola since WEAR is based in Pensacola and virtually every one else is in Alabama.

The result would be when Alabama falls back in the fall, Pensacola would be TWO HOURS ahead of Mobile...and that primetime would start at 9 instead of 8 in the Sunshine State when the rest of the country "falls back".

Lindsay Czarniak is coming back to WRC-TV, at least for a week. She recently left ESPN (saddened about that) and is coming back to the station that helped her career off to stardom.

She'll contribute to WRC-TV's Super Bowl coverage this upcoming week. She won't be on after that more likely due to WRC-TV reducing sports coverage since Carol Maloney no longer works there either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/25/her-espn-tenure-over-lindsay-czarniak-will-contribute-to-nbc-washingtons-super-bowl-coverage/?utm_term=.747cbab74221

• Like 2

Lindsay Czarniak is coming back to WRC-TV, at least for a week. She recently left ESPN (saddened about that) and is coming back to the station that helped her career off to stardom.

She'll contribute to WRC-TV's Super Bowl coverage this upcoming week. She won't be on after that more likely due to WRC-TV reducing sports coverage since Carol Maloney no longer works there either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/25/her-espn-tenure-over-lindsay-czarniak-will-contribute-to-nbc-washingtons-super-bowl-coverage/?utm_term=.747cbab74221

Wouldn't be surprised if this led to her heading to NBC Sports in the near future, with her being married to Craig Melvin and all.

• Like 2