Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Message added by Weeters

If this rumor was WBPX/WPXG/the carcass of WDPX to NBC, it would be totally viable. Which makes me wonder, WDPX is the only full-power station in the Cape & Islands. Who could they channel share with that reaches their coverage area?

Derrick Santos at New England One says the ABC O&O story is bogus. He's a far more trustworthy source of Boston media info. Can't believe that Newsblues went with this unsubstantiated nonsense.

I knew something about that headline didn't pass the smell test. The day ABC/Disney decides to buy more TV stations (which they won't for reasons that have been repeated over and over again in this forum) is the day broadcast television becomes obsolete.

• Like 4

I knew something about that headline didn't pass the smell test. The day ABC/Disney decides to buy more TV stations (which they won't for reasons that have been repeated over and over again in this forum) is the day broadcast television becomes obsolete.

Heck, FTVLive is more reliable!

• Like 3

Heck, FTVLive is more reliable!

FTVLive is probably the most credible site there is but New England One is not too far away from that. Both very good.

Sorry to double post here but... I'm surprised that nobody talked about this today.

Lafayette, IN will finally complete the "BIG Four" circle when it gets its own ABC affiliate, WPBY 49 (station) / ABC 49 (general branding), starting July 1st.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/lafayette-ind-gets-its-own-abc-affiliate/166108

Sorry to double post here but... I'm surprised that nobody talked about this today.

Lafayette, IN will finally complete the "BIG Four" circle when it gets its own ABC affiliate, WPBY 49 (station) / ABC 49 (general branding), starting July 1st.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/lafayette-ind-gets-its-own-abc-affiliate/166108

They're the same folks that lit-up the NBC & Fox affils there as well.

Maybe NewsBlues got their A's mixed up and mean an N.

It doesn't make sense to piss off your stronger affiliate group and a partner in TWO joint ventures (ESPN & A&E). Unless of course Hearst is leaving the JV. But for both they seem to be the silent partner and watch the cash come in.

• Like 1

She'll be doing real estate segments on KPRC's weekend morning shows.

Out of all people, why would they want to pick her to replace Tamica? I guess it's alright to put an annoying bimbo on to get viewers right? I'm hoping they'll find a true replacement soon.

Tegna is blowing up the WWL morning team. First it was Buchtel, then Hoss and now Tamica. I wouldn't be surprised if Paulsen and/or Sally-Ann be next out the door before its all over.

Oh, that day is coming...trust me.

I'm not seeing anything in the FCC database for a station in Lafayette, IN on channel 49.

FTVLive is probably the most credible site there is but New England One is not too far away from that. Both very good.

I'm not so sure about FTVLive. He should know better than to attribute NBC Montana's ownership (and editorial judgment) to Sinclair (ownership change is pending, but Bonten still owns and operates the station.) Even the Huffpost article that started the feeding frenzy eventually appended a clarification that Sinclair hasn't taken over.

• Like 2

WCVB/Boston anchor/Chronicle co-host JC Monahan has left the station. It was announced in February that she would not be renewing her contract. Since then Emily Reimer has assumed Monahan's previous duties at the anchor desk, and earlier this month it was announced that Shayna Seymour would take over as co-host of Chronicle. Monahan's next destination hasn't been announced, but she has tweeted that an announcement would be forthcoming on July 1. It is widely speculated that she will be joining fellow ex-5'er Phil Lipof at NBC Boston.

• Like 1

That one doesn't pass the smell test. I can't see how ABC will uproot one of their top affiliates - and one of their top company groups - for such. The repercussions could be enormous there. The only way I can see WCVB become an O&O is either by Hearst buying ABC as a whole from Disney, or by a trade with (at least) WTVD and KFSN. As for just gutting WCVB, do they want to make Hearst really mad in their largest market?

The other question: why would Ion want to sell WBPX to anyone? They operate it at the bare bones (even more so if corrupt Altji Paid Off does away with the main studio rule) and have to be profitable.

The other question: why would Ion want to sell WBPX to anyone? They operate it at the bare bones (even more so if corrupt Altji Paid Off does away with the main studio rule) and have to be profitable.

Has ION ever turned a profit? They lost $23.3 million in the last quarter alone.

Maybe NewsBlues got their A's mixed up and mean an N.

Maybe now, they'll learn to proofread. but seriously, I would not be surprised. Maybe next time, they'll think this stuff through.

• Like 1

Maybe it would fetch them some money that they could be in need of but to ABC? Nah. You probably already know this but there were many rumors that NBC was trying to get it in 2006 to replace WHDH which was right around the time Ansin created the 7/56 duo. The most I could see between ABC and Ion is a hyothetical alliance (I know, really out there). But thats not happening.

• Like 5

I'm not so sure about FTVLive. He should know better than to attribute NBC Montana's ownership (and editorial judgment) to Sinclair (ownership change is pending, but Bonten still owns and operates the station.) Even the Huffpost article that started the feeding frenzy eventually appended a clarification that Sinclair hasn't taken over.

Add New York Magazine to the list of misinformed sources...

It's shoddy reporting like this that ENCOURAGES Sinclair that they are being unfairly targeted. In this case, they are.

Any ammunition they can state as fact only makes their spreading of other falsehoods that much worse.

• Like 2

Have WDPX channel share with someone in town and cash out WBPX. Double the money grab.

• Like 1

Add New York Magazine to the list of misinformed sources...

It's shoddy reporting like this that ENCOURAGES Sinclair that they are being unfairly targeted. In this case, they are.

Any ammunition they can state as fact only makes their spreading of other falsehoods that much worse.

We all hate these people as much as anybody and, as seen in recent days, everyone has had their time (and some WAY longer than necessary) on the soapbox to rant about what the FCC will and will not allow them to do and how horrible they are etc. I'll admit I had my moments. But at the same time, they shouldn't be targeted like this (and no doubt due to their stances on some things.). It just helps them look like the ones being bullied. I hate to play devil's advocate here but it's the truth.

There had been rumors but this evening WREG's Richard Ransom appeared to confirm on Twitter that he has left the station effectively immediately. No reason given (but probably could make some educated speculation)

• Like 4

Wow. I liked Scott, but somehow I feel his style is more suited for 60 Minutes than the CBS Evening News.

As for a replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Glor is at the top of the list. It gives them a fresh, younger look (he would be the youngest network news anchor at 41, two years younger than David Muir) and could help them gain more ground in the 25-54 demo.

• Like 1