Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

Please keep all COVID-19 contingency speculation in the speculation board thread on the matter.

Message added by Weeters

WEWS in Cleveland has hired Katie Ussin as the new co-anchor of "Good Morning Cleveland." She starts in June, and comes from WDTN in Dayton.

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2017/05/channel_5_hires_katie_ussin_as_new_morning_anchor.html#incart_river_index

She'll be paired with Terrence Lee, but no word on what Corrina Pysa's role will be after Ussin arrives. Pysa filled in after Jackie Fernandez was let go late last year.

Jamie Sullivan has been named co-anchor of the 4:30am newscast on WOIO in Cleveland. She'll be joined by Nichole Vrsansky at the anchor desk. Sullivan will also continue to handle traffic anchor duties for the rest of the morning newscast.

[

WUPA would go to CBS and start a news department

WPCH would replace WUPA as a CW affiliate (given that Time Warner owns the other 50% of the CW)

WGCL would go Independent

IF that happens but I highly doubt it

TWX already sold WPCH to Meredith.

• Like 1

Did Time Warner competely sell off WPCH? Last time I knew WPCH was operated under the LMA by Meredith

It was fully sold recently for $70 million (I think), probably in anticipation of the Time Warner-AT&T merger.

• Like 1

It was fully sold recently for $70 million (I think), probably in anticipation of the Time Warner-AT&T merger.

That makes sense probably AT&T wanted nothing to do with owning a television station

That makes sense probably AT&T wanted nothing to do with owning a television station

It also gave AT&T and Time Warner a way to avoid an FCC review of their merger because WPCH was the only significant FCC license held by Time Warner.

• Like 5

I'd make them use their cell phones.

It's "Old fashion solutions...to old fashion problems."

Now how many stations have a few large print typewriters,ribbons , and 7-ply carbon ready for the next power outage?

How many reporters know how to use landline???

Rob is correct that you have to provide your talent and crew with the basic requirements for a full show remote.

Monitors with shades is kinda important..so is a proper IFB for situation.

At KBEX we do remotes with Solo cups and alligator clips....but we also pay our employees with Scratchers.

I sensed dual frustration with that email the anchors sent. I can understand what it's like to really NEED a few basic items only to be told there is no budget.

"Field producer"?

What the hell are them?

I get real cynical sometimes, but I can feel the pain for these folks. My greatest respect to Rob or the other producers cranking out a nightly bunch of shows in this God forsaken biz...with no signs of management support.

(have an exit strategy)

Hang in there, and keep up the good work.

I wish we had room for all of you here at KBEX.

• Like 2

WHTV 18 in Lansing - Jackson was scheduled to go off-air on April 30th at Midnight. Instead, it gave itself a last-minute retrieval and was then scheduled to go off-air on May 17th at Midnight. Now, it has given itself another retrieval and will NOW sign-off at midnight on May 31st at Midnight, a full month after it was originally supposed to go off-air.

In the meantime, the station is airing Jewelry Television full-time on Channel 18.1, which means the 18.2 subchannel has been discontinued. No word on where MyTV has landed or where those programs have since gone to in the market.

WHTV just keeps extending its own life.

Longtime St. Louis anchor, reporter John Auble dies

"In 2011, Auble was inducted into the St. Louis Media Halls of Fame for his contributions to television journalism. The Youngstown, Ohio, native was a Vietnam War veteran and the winner of seven Emmy awards. He previously worked as a reporter in Columbus, Ohio; New York City and in San Juan, Puerto Rico."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/longtime-st-louis-anchor-reporter-john-auble-dies/article_0b89af20-4c2c-5ad2-995c-b5479990a0be.html

http://fox2now.com/2017/05/14/longtime-fox-2-reporter-john-auble-dies-at-77/

Sad news out of St. Louis today, longtime KTVI anchor/reporter John Auble passed away Saturday. Auble worked at KTVI for 23 years as an anchor before retiring

six years ago in May of 2011. Auble was 77 years old. TVNT would like to extend our prayers and condolences to the family of John Auble and John's extended family

at KTVI FOX 2 News.

RIP And Godspeed.

• Like 2

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/16/pushed-out-in-denver

Ed Greene, the longest-serving weather forecaster in Denver, is being kicked to the curb at KCNC.

The Denver Post says that the station will not be renewing Greene’s contract as senior weather forecaster. Over the next six months, Lauren Whitney will be phased in to the evening newscasts in his place.

The move is not his decision, Greene said.

“I guess management is ‘going in a new direction?’ ” Greene said in a frank email. “I did not ask for ‘more time to spend with the grandkids’ (don’t have any, yet), or to spend more time at our home in Santa Fe (wife still busier than ever with her business … and we still have a student up at CU).”

Greene will become a part-time contributor at the station, doing fill-in work and representing the station at community events.

• Like 2

They've already been doing that for a while. It's a little odd, and there's little doubt the station is trying to phase out an old timer when the young blonde starts cutting into his airtime. Though Westword's article interestingly suggests that Ed bad mouting the station in the press may have been deliberately planned.

http://www.westword.com/news/how-ed-greenes-slow-retirement-from-cbs4-turned-ugly-9067657

But a station source tells Westword that what was portrayed by the Denver Post yesterday as a brusque dumping was actually a deliberate process negotiated over the course of a year with the full cooperation of Greene, whose evident displeasure over the plan left management feeling blindsided.

6 News, a local cable news operation in Lawrence, KS, will be shutting down its operations after 45 years. Minnesota cable company Midco is expanding their Midco Sports Network into the market and ending 6 News. Lawrence is technically in the Topeka DMA but receives signals from both Topeka and Kansas City, so both markets cover them equally. A very sad day indeed.

https://www.6lawrence.com/6lawrence/index.php/2017/05/16/midco-sn-expands-lawrence-6-news-operations-end/

• Like 3

6 News, a local cable news operation in Lawrence, KS, will be shutting down its operations after 45 years. Minnesota cable company Midco is expanding their Midco Sports Network into the market and ending 6 News. Lawrence is technically in the Topeka DMA but receives signals from both Topeka and Kansas City, so both markets cover them equally. A very sad day indeed.

https://www.6lawrence.com/6lawrence/index.php/2017/05/16/midco-sn-expands-lawrence-6-news-operations-end/

Lawrence is in the Kansas City DMA, even though it's slightly closer to Topeka. When I was a kid, the K.C. stations were crystal clear over the air, and the Topeka stations were not (broadcast pattern favored towns west/north of Topeka).

That's too bad, though. "6 News" was a recorded newscast for many years. Their first live broadcast was the 1988 K.U. National Championship parade.

• Like 1

That's a shame, hopefully someone will fill in the hole that 6NEWS left behind for the Lawrence area

Tracey Rogers VP/GM of WMC5/Memphis will head down the road for the same job at WKRN2/Nashville.

Betty Nguyen will move over to PIX11/NYC Morning News.

http://pix11.com/2017/05/16/betty-nguyen-joins-wpix-as-anchor-of-pix11-morning-news/

Newsblues.com has a new owner; Rick Iler former news director at KSHB, KARK and slew of other stations. Here's the article from newsblues.com

NewsBlues has a new owner.

Rick Iler, the former news director at Scripps-owned KSHB-41-NBC in Kansas City (Market #33), Nexstar's KARK-4-NBC in Little Rock (Market #57), Gannett's KCEN-6-NBC in Temple, TX (Market #87), and Nexstar's KSNF-16-NBC in Joplin, MO (Market #151), has acquired the legacy TV news insider website NewsBlues.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed (because it's none of your damn business), but I can tell you (and this is just between us) it was more than an 18-pack of Busch Light and less than a 2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano.

"This is really a dream come true for me," said Iler. "NewsBlues has been a staple of broadcast news for nearly 20 years and I have been reading it since the beginning. Having the opportunity to continue a great media broadcast tradition is an honor."

Iler says his vision for the future is to refresh the site while staying true to its iconic, subversive brand. "I am very excited for some of the changes people will see in the near future with NewsBlues. It will have some of the old mixed in with a new aggressive look, style and feel. I think people are going to love it."

beer-ferrari.jpg

For the immediate future, your Surly Editor® will continue to write and produce the daily newsletter through Friday, May 26, at which point Ilerand his staff will take over production. Initially, the website will remain pretty much the same...sort of a NewsBlues Lite. But, later this summer, the website's look and feel will change dramatically. There are big things ahead.

What does this mean for you? Your current NewsBlues membership will remain in place, and we will soon begin selling extended memberships again of 3-and-6 months. The valuable SourceBook will continue.

Mrs. B's Grammar Yammer will live on in re-runs.

Personally, I look forward to working with Rick and his crew and will continue in an advisory role for the foreseeable future. Good things are ahead. Stay tuned. (You can reach out to Iler at rick@newsblues.com.)

• Like 2

WKYC in Cleveland adds Matt Wintz as the station's new weekend evening meteorologist. He comes from WLTZ in Columbus, Georgia.

http://wkycdirectorscut.blogspot.com/2017/05/wkyc-adds-meteorologist-matt-wintz-to.html

WKYC has also made current reporter Andrew Horansky co-anchor on the Saturday evening newscasts with Hillary Golston. Chris Tye continues to anchor solo on Sunday nights.

Farewell to former KPIX sports anchor Wayne Walker. Walker, also known for his 15 year career as a linebacker for the Detroit Lions and as a longtime commentator on San Francisco 49ers radio broadcasts, passed away at 80

http://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/Walker-Walker-longtime-sports-broadcaster-dies-11159491.php?t=7e9d2e3dde&cmpid=twitter-premium

• Like 1

The Preakness is here and so are WBAL's outside broadcasts and specials.

Here's a peak behind the scenes.

[MEDIA=twitter]865489184634556416[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

WWL's traffic reporter Tamica Lee has bounced from the station and is the new co-host of WGNO's "News With A Twist". LisaMarie Luminais (ugh) is her replacement.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2017/05/tamica_lee_wwl_wgno_05052017.html#incart_river_index

That's what I call a career-killing move to jump from the market's strongest station to a ratings joke...

• Like 1