Out & About

TexasTVNews

they've also launched something similar at WXIA called "The late feed"

God that was painful to watch. The first 15 seconds seemed like a poor spoof of a rap video or a slam poetry reading in some late night coffee shop. Then he's holding his script (?) on game show-sized cards like he's the host. He walks out onto set and starts talking like Dr. Phil or something. He also seems, no offense, a bit old to be doing a BuzzFeed/Snapchat-esque news show.

It's crap like this that no one like watching local news anymore, then they wonder why these new formats result in plunging ratings. All of these things make The Now look better and better.

• Like 2

WVEC launched a new, more dramatic format for their 11pm newscast last night, "Now at Eleven".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h=1;id=P4tevoFeHE4;m=3;s=55

It's becoming more evident that Philip Townsend is being groomed to take over for whenever David Alan retires...

Well, I just found out apparently, it was a one-time thing. Or at least that what their Facebook Page says.

If they want to do a more laid back newscast (maybe tieless) for Friday's fine. But not with any of these formats. Keep it the same but maybe a little "looser" with music perhaps?

I thought the format was OK, just some of the production was wayyyyyy off. The music playing throughout was probably the worst element of it. It overpowered everything during the news blocks. The weird camera angles were weird too.

• Like 2

Here's a Baltimore Sun article about the effort of one woman to digitize the WJZ library. She made a pitch to the station that she'd digitize them if they give her the licensing rights.

I am already in love with her.

People will pay to see the old stuff, it's really just a matter of finding someone to do it in each market.

When you consider that in 1960 most tv stations only did about 1 hour of news daily at the most, so it's really not such a giant effort to clear a bankers box of old a/b rolls in a day or less.

Just time and money...like everything else.

...and someone that actually cares about local history.

Thanks RKO for posting that.

• Like 4

I am already in love with her.

People will pay to see the old stuff, it's really just a matter of finding someone to do it in each market.

When you consider that in 1960 most tv stations only did about 1 hour of news daily at the most, so it's really not such a giant effort to clear a bankers box of old a/b rolls in a day or less.

Just time and money...like everything else.

...and someone that actually cares about local history.

Thanks RKO for posting that.

I like that too. But all that video is useless unless they have the correct data to catalog it. Hopefully those reels have some proper information on it otherwise it's useless. I doubt this non profit has the man power to watch all the video.

Sounds like they have all the footage from the beginning but I wonder what's the cut off date?

I like that too. But all that video is useless unless they have the correct data to catalog it. Hopefully those reels have some proper information on it otherwise it's useless. I doubt this non profit has the man power to watch all the video.

Sounds like they have all the footage from the beginning but I wonder what's the cut off date?

It's a lot easier now with the net to cross reference with newspapers and air checks. Most stations made a daily aircheck starting with the 1/2in and U-Matic formats....so you can cross reference much easier with the net and even some crowd sourcing.

The fun part is you become a video detective. If there is no info in the film can then you have to go with what you see. it's pretty simple because the 1950's thru the 1980's there was not a huge amount of film or tape that made air...there was a lot less filmed and taped(edited) content. Plus you only have to log and transfer the local events because the network stuff was not saved locally in most cases.

It's like those retired detectives that return from retirement to work "cold" cases.

A serious news viewer in a market for the last 30-40 years would find it to be a cakewalk since they know who all the local "players" big stories have been over the years.

• Like 1

It's a lot easier now with the net to cross reference with newspapers and air checks. Most stations made a daily aircheck starting with the 1/2in and U-Matic formats....so you can cross reference much easier with the net and even some crowd sourcing.

The fun part is you become a video detective. If there is no info in the film can then you have to go with what you see. it's pretty simple because the 1950's thru the 1980's there was not a huge amount of film or tape that made air...there was a lot less filmed and taped(edited) content. Plus you only have to log and transfer the local events because the network stuff was not saved locally in most cases.

It's like those retired detectives that return from retirement to work "cold" cases.

A serious news viewer in a market for the last 30-40 years would find it to be a cakewalk since they know who all the local "players" big stories have been over the years.

I remember reading a Broadcast Engineering (remember them?) article about the efforts to digitize WSB's library. I believe everything was donated but the digitizations of 40,000 hours was done by WSB. They even used software called Nexida Dialogue automatically generate the words to the video.

For the past 2 years, WUSA has been claiming that they have the most accurate forecast, with a WeatheRate seal of approval, and they also now have a 3 degree guarantee as of 2015. Any opinions?

No response yet. Feel free to respond--maybe they are trying to copy WMAR (which also has a WeatheRate seal of approval, and a 2 degree guarantee).

More changes at WMC Memphis:

Meteorologist Andrew Kozak has seemed to indicate that he will be leaving the station by the end of the month. No additional details yet, however. Kozak was moved to weekends from the weekday 12/4PM shift a while back. Here is his Twitter post (see replies as well):

[MEDIA=twitter]910996747996008448[/MEDIA]

A follow up on this one, Kozak's final day at WMC-TV was September 24th. Replacing him on weekends is former WTOK weatherman Nick Gunter, who was recently hired by the station.

• Like 1

A follow up on this one, Kozak's final day at WMC-TV was September 24th. Replacing him on weekends is former WTOK weatherman Nick Gunter, who was recently hired by the station.

And whatever was going on behind the scenes with this seems to have been messy. Not long after posting it, Kozak removed his farewell Facebook Live video (in which he confirmed that it wasn't his decision to leave), and for all intents and purposes it appears the station management did not let him come back for his scheduled final newscasts at 5 and 10PM on the 24th.

• Like 1

WTSP News Director Bob Clinkingbeard (which used to work here in Milwaukee at WITI) is out as of October 5.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/9/28/1st-on-ftvlive-news-director-out-in-tegans-tampa-station

And Ian Reitz's last day was yesterday. On Facebook he teased that he would reveal his next move soon.