Out & About

TexasTVNews

All of us at TVNT offers out prayers and condolences to Howard Caldwell's family and his friends and colleagues at RTV6.

Rest in Peace, Howard and Godspeed.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/indianapolis/howard-caldwell-longtime-indianapolis-journalist-has-died-at-age-92

Sad news indeed. But like I said before, why don't you stick to offering your own condolences. The rest of us can speak for ourselves and never elected you to speak on our behalf.

• Like 5

Does anyone besides WAGA in Atlanta run an hour-long 11pm (10pm CT) newscast on weekdays? It's always been interesting to me that WAGA does it, and at last check it pulls in very respectable ratings.

• Like 1

Does anyone besides WAGA in Atlanta run an hour-long 11pm (10pm CT) newscast on weekdays? It's always been interesting to me that WAGA does it, and at last check it pulls in very respectable ratings.

In terms of 11pm ET or 10pm CT or even 10pm MT...

KSAT San Antonio

KOAT Albuquerque

KRGV Weslaco

WTVT Tampa

KIFI Idaho Falls

Just a few.

I'll be honest, I'm going to really miss KNLC. It's been such a fascinating anachronism since it signed on. No matter when and what I've tuned in over the years, the station seemed like it was at least fifteen years behind the times. Still, Larry Rice always had his heart in the right place (if not his broadcast acumen), and this is $3,750,000 that his ministry can certainly use. Also, Weigel seems a decent owner, so I'm looking forward to what they do with the station.

It's an interesting station that's for sure. As someone who lives in St. Louis, I'm curious to see how they'll revamp Channel 24, because it desperately needs an overhaul.

• Like 2

Looks like this may just be a warm-up for them. If so, then it'll be interesting to see where they strike next.

I'm calling it now. They may end up with KUBE/Houston. MAY.

That's all stuff for the Speculatron, in which I created a new thread about yesterday.

So, how much did Weigel get for the WMLW spectrum? That should give you an idea of how much they have left for acquisitions.

That's all stuff for the Speculatron, in which I created a new thread about yesterday.

So, how much did Weigel get for the WMLW spectrum? That should give you an idea of how much they have left for acquisitions.

I've already posted my two cents in that thread. There's a lot more to come from them.

• Like 2

Per the Memphis Commercial Appeal, former WREG news anchor Richard Ransom has been hired as the new main anchor and managing editor at crosstown rival WATN. His first day on air is September 25th and replaces Brandon Artiles, who will continue to anchor the 9:00 news on sister station WLMT.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/local/suburbs/2017/09/14/richard-ransom-returns-moving-local-24-anchor-desk/664084001/

• Like 4

As a kid growing up in Northern VA, today's a bittersweet day. I was never 100% loyal to any news channel, but when it snowed, I always loved watching Doug Hill, especially because I thought the "ABC7 Snow Machine" was the coolest thing ever.

Best wishes in your retirement, Doug! Feel free to come back and bring Bob Ryan with you when it snows again! :)

• Like 2

As a kid growing up in Northern VA, today's a bittersweet day. I was never 100% loyal to any news channel, but when it snowed, I always loved watching Doug Hill, especially because I thought the "ABC7 Snow Machine" was the coolest thing ever.

Best wishes in your retirement, Doug! Feel free to come back and bring Bob Ryan with you when it snows again! :)

Aw man, the best in the weather business. Seriously. He will be missed.

• Like 2

Beloved KTRK/Houston meteorologist Casey Curry (who famously hurt herself on live TV when she fell off a step hours after the station's new set debuted in 2015) is gone with no explanation. New hire Collin Myers had been expected, but no one knew who he was replacing till now. (Technically, Collin is taking over on weekend mornings for Elita Loresca, who slides into Casey's 11a and 4p timeslots.)

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2017/09/casey-curry-exits-ktrk-abc13.html

Andy Baskin has left WEWS, along with the station's assistant news director.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/9/16/longtime-cleveland-anchors-retire

Andy is asserting that he left by his own volition, having lost his father a few weeks ago. He's cohosted the midday show at WKRK "92.3 The Fan" for six years now, and apparently wants to focus on that.

[MEDIA=twitter]908801917404565505[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]908802443194060800[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]908803101846573056[/MEDIA]

KHBS/KHOG is adding a weekend 5pm newscast on Saturdays and Sundays on their 2nd digital subchannel (also known as Arkansas CW)

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/107324/arkansas-cw-launches-weekend-5-pm-news

It'll launch this Saturday, September 23rd and it'll utilize the award-winning newsgathering resources from local ABC affiliate and sister station 40/29 TV, the 5:00 p.m. weekend newscast on The Arkansas CW will offer local viewers an additional option for coverage. 40/29 Weekend News at 5 p.m. on the Arkansas CW will feature familiar faces, including news anchor Allison Wise, weather with Taylor Pannell and Reese Miller with sports. Teams of field crews from across the entire region will cover important news and weather events from Fort Smith, The River Valley and all of Northwest Arkansas.

Here's the statement from KHBS/KHOG President and General Manager Shaun Oswald:

“We continue to be committed to localism and to serving our community on The Arkansas CW by providing local viewers our award-winning coverage at a time that is important to them, on Sept. 11, we expanded our morning news, 40/29 News Sunrise on The Arkansas CW at 7 am to an hour and we are excited to continue our expansion of our local news product into the weekends for the 5:00 p.m. time period.”

• Like 1

KHBS/KHOG is adding a weekend 5pm newscast on Saturdays and Sundays on their 2nd digital subchannel (also known as Arkansas CW)

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/107324/arkansas-cw-launches-weekend-5-pm-news

It'll launch this Saturday, September 23rd and it'll utilize the award-winning newsgathering resources from local ABC affiliate and sister station 40/29 TV, the 5:00 p.m. weekend newscast...

Basically, with ABC in College Football mode on Saturdays and ABC Sports on Sundays (which could run long), I'm guessing they got tired of the "will it or won't it air", and just is running on the CW, which we all know, is rife with potential program blocking concerns... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

WUSA morning anchor Mike Hydeck joining WVIT effective October. Also leaving the WUSA morning team is Allyson Rae who will be going to WBBH.

Lately I've seen Larry Miller fill in for Mike and it was already announced that Miri Marshall will be taking over for Allyson.

So in the better part of a year or so, the morning team at WUSA has essentially been 100% replaced. Jan Jeffcoat moved to mornings, with Andrea Roane demoted to noon/evening fill-in duties, plus what I mentioned above.

[MEDIA=twitter]907369109893021697[/MEDIA]

Basically, with ABC in College Football mode on Saturdays and ABC Sports on Sundays (which could run long), I'm guessing they got tired of the "will it or won't it air", and just is running on the CW, which we all know, is rife with potential program blocking concerns... :rolleyes:

The CW Plus only has two LLNW's (Live, Local News Windows) every day. Weekdays, 7-8am local time and 10pm ET/9pm CT. Weekends, 6pm ET/5pm CT and 10pm ET/9pm CT.