Out & About

TexasTVNews

certain CBS stations air the price is right at 11AM instead of 10AM. majority of the O&Os in the west coast have 10PM slot. KCNC however decided to keep lets make a deal at 2PM due to CBS this morning at 9AM where as other CBS O&Os show lets make a deal at 9AM. this is probably the same case for CBS affiliates not owned by CBS like Nexstar, Sinclair or Hearst for example.

From Monday's Newsblues.com

Drew Soicher, the longtime sports anchor at Tegna's top-rated KUSA-9-NBC in Denver (Market #17) who left the station at the end of December when his contract wasn't renewed, has reportedly landed at Tegna's KPNX-12-NBC in Phoenix (Market #12), although his bio has not yet appeared on the station website.

Drew Soicher, the longtime sports anchor at Tegna's top-rated KUSA-9-NBC in Denver (Market #17) who left the station at the end of December when his contract wasn't renewed, has reportedly landed at Tegna's KPNX-12-NBC in Phoenix (Market #12), although his bio has not yet appeared on the station website.

I wonder if Tegna offered him that as somewhat of an apology/or if they gave him an internal transfer to start up at KPNX

cap_20170220_165741_wcvb_00_02_53_01.thumb.jpg.80396ae8e05ce2eeadf2d1d9c4ada329.jpg

To add to this, morning anchor Emily Riemer is moving to JC's current 5pm spot, while noon anchor/morning breaking news anchor Antoinette Antionio will become the new morning anchor while continuing on the noon with Erika Tarantal. The morning breaking news anchor position could possibly be filled by Katie Thompson, who is joining the station from sister station WMTW.

Saw a Katie live shot on WCVB's 12p news today. Kinda rough, but she'll get up to speed quickly.

• Like 1

A very recent piece from the Denver alternative paper mentions this too. I can't find it right now but it's there.

• Like 1

Since WUAB broadcasts on Channel 28, it would command more value to cash in since it's UHF. Since it's also "in the zone" for repacking, it could be the future home for a going concern that wants to stay on the air and currently exists above channel 30 or 31..whatever that is...

WBNX is on Channel 30. Maybe they move to 28?

Missing for at least three weeks now is WRC's Barbara Harrison. Ironically, there's been no posts to her twitter account since around Christmas. Also, during the 11am hour when there's a link to "Watch News4 Midday" it now has a generic NBC4 photo instead of Barbara's picture. Might she be a goner, or just taking extended time off?

So Barbara's twitter description now lists her as a "Special Projects Anchor". Surprised nobody picked up on this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nbcbarbara?lang=en

Not helping was the garbage '43 The Block' branding (combined with an awful 'graffiti' logo), which basically screamed 'this is where your unemployed loser self watches Jerry and Maury and lousy lawyer and for-profit college ads, along with bad sitcoms'.

Not to forget, they used the "block" branding in two separate instances - the first circa 2002 with filmed comic sketches in between the early-evening sitcoms (that stunt didn't last long) then as "My43 The Block" with a near-identical logo to the 2002 disaster.

CLE43 is still a bad brand, but it's nowhere as horrific as either "block."

• Like 1

FTVLive is reporting that Sinclair and Meredith are interested in buying Tribune's stations, contingent on cap space opening up.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/2/23/are-the-tribune-stations-in-trouble

Great, that's all we need, Sinclair in New York City,Los Angeles, and Chicago.

Also, I'm too lazy to look the other potential markets they may have to sell, but even with the cap raised, they would have to at least divest stations in St. Louis* and Greensboro.

* Although Meredith also would have to divest a station in the market

• Like 1

FTVLive is reporting that Sinclair and Meredith are interested in buying Tribune's stations, contingent on cap space opening up.

Conflicts they would have:

Meredith - Kansas City, Hartford/New Haven, Portland

Sinclair - Des Moines, Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, St. Louis, Greensboro/Triad, Oklahoma City, Portland, Harrisburg et. al., Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Salt Lake City, Richmond, Seattle, Milwaukee

Meredith could actually acquire a lot of the assets straight up (under the cap that exists now), if they want to pass on the big superstations and the duopoly bait.

Really, I think the small CW stations outside of the top 3 markets should just be sold now as duopoly bait.

• Like 1

What companies like Sinclair really want is access to New York (WPIX), Los Angeles (KTLA) and Chicago (WGN)-- mostly WGN.

I warned about it when Liguori started complaining about the stock price (i.e., the investors want their money). Tribune sold real estate. They sold Gracenote. They offered buyouts. Liguori is leaving. Station sales are next. If no company can be formed to buy the whole lot, then Tribune will have to smash itself with a hammer.

• Like 1

Oh god no. If Sinclair buys the major ones, say goodbye to WPIX, KTLA and WGN as we know it. Sinclair ruins everything and these stations will be no different.

If Tribune goes away, these stations are ruined.

Absolutely right.

On the topic of Tribune...I've thought this for a long time, now I'll say it:

If something comes of these rumors, it's going to be a big step towards the cold reality I think is coming: Canada-level consolidation within the next 5 to 10 years, of the sort that will probably destroy the "local" image of the stations here as much as it has there.

Brace yourselves.

• Like 3

I mentioned it in the chatbox...

KSWL-LD 17 is the new CBS affiliate for Lake Charles. Signed on air on Feb. 15th and is in 1080i HD. Owned by Wayport Media, which also owns WPBI-LD 16 (FOX/NBC) in Lafayette, IN.

It hopes to carry local news in the future, which is also true for WPBI-LD. This now leaves ABC as the only TV network left without its own dedicated Lake Charles TV affiliate, since all others are available including PBS.

I mentioned it in the chatbox...

KSWL-LD 17 is the new CBS affiliate for Lake Charles. Signed on air on Feb. 15th and is in 1080i HD. Owned by Wayport Media, which also owns WPBI-LD 16 (FOX/NBC) in Lafayette, IN.

It hopes to carry local news in the future, which is also true for WPBI-LD. This now leaves ABC as the only TV network left without its own dedicated Lake Charles TV affiliate, since all others are available including PBS.

Does KPLC have a space on its transmitter for an ABC affiliate on DT2?

Not without Bounce on DT2 but if anything, they can as long as Bounce goes to DT3 and gets rid of Grit.

Since Raycom loves to fill holes and have multi-network operations, I think if they talked to ABC they could do that on 7.2 easily and make a lot more money than they work with Bounce or Grit. Tegna might complain, but KBMT is not licensed to serve Lake Charles.