Out & About

TexasTVNews

Nexstar names Larry Cottrill GM & VP of Richmond's WRIC. Most recently, he was GM & VP of WBOY in Clarksburg, WV.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/101375/nexstar-names-larry-cottrill-gm-of-wric

KMGH (Denver) VP & GM Byron Grandy joins WNCN in Raleigh.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/101498/byron-grandy-tapped-as-gm-of-wncn

• Like 1

WXIX Fox 19 in Cincinnati is finding huge success in the late news slots as its #1 in the 25-54 demo.

http://wvxu.org/post/wxix-tv-entering-sweeps-roll

Fox 19 also has more viewers in both the 18-49 and 25-54 demos than any of the 11pm newscasts in Cincy.

Whatever they're doing at 10pm seems to be working.

Remember when I said that it'll be a sad day in Atlanta when the Julianne Moore/Emma Stone of investigative reporters, Jodie Fleischer, leaves WSB for bigger and better things?

Well...the time has come. (at least we still have some great lookers over at Fox 5!)

Did you like Jodie for her looks or her good investigation stories? She clearly has done well in both areas, but she seem to come off with her hard shell.. 11Alive has some gals doing great investigation stories. Rebecca Lindstrom.

Did you like Jodie for her looks or her good investigation stories? She clearly has done well in both areas, but she seem to come off with her hard shell.. 11Alive has some gals doing great investigation stories. Rebecca Lindstrom.

Both; I met her -- and Erica Byfield, who's now at WNBC -- once at the Atlanta Auto Show in 2015 and like I said on Twitter, she was extremely gorgeous in person.

As for her investigations? They were the only ones I've been watching on WSB, though she had been asking softball questions which seemed to turn off some viewers, which is why 11Alive w/Lindstrom (and Brendan Keefe) has been doing them a whole lot better than Channel 2 lately.

For many of Jodie's (male) fans, this is the second devastating loss to have hit Atlanta this year after the Falcons and the Super Bowl, though we do have plenty of company (i.e., eye candy). WRC should be lucky to have her.

• Like 7

WUAB in Cleveland has sold its transmitter, but will remain on the air. The station will move to WOIO's transmitter.

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2017/02/channel_43_will_remain_on_the_air_only_its_transmitter_was_sold.html#incart_river_index

There have been rumors that 43 was going to go off the air. Not actually the case, but it will be interesting how the station will remain off the air.

BTW, 19 is now billing its 11pm newscast as "Tucker and Tanaka at 11" with its new team in that slot. There's a new opening too.

Programming Changes are happening at Orlando's CBS station WKMG.

The Orlando Sentinel stated that the station decided to move Let's Make A Deal from 10am to 3pm (after The Talk). The station hope this show would lead viewers to its 4pm newscasts.

Rachael Ray will move from 9am to 10am, and Crime Watch Daily will move from 3pm to 9am.

#MeanwhileOn9....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-et-wftv-switching-steve-harvey-td-jakes-20170216-story.html

Can't believe they're switching in the middle of the sweep period (the books is halfway done). Maybe 9 is worried about the shift in ratings because of 6's LMAD move, so there doing this out of desperation? And why they didn't put Harvey on at 3pm in the first place?

I'm not a fan of moving LMAD to 3pm, because that breaks the Game Show block with Price at 11am. But in the areas west of the eastern time zone (unless that station airs it after CTM at 9am), you don't really have a choice. You're stuck airing it after The Talk at 2pm.

Unrelated to this, there a big shift coming for one San Antonio station.

On Monday, March 27, KSAT 12 will be adding a new (Ugh!) 9am newscast. They're shifting Live with Kelly & The View to 10 & 11am, respectively. The Chew (which aired at 11am, on a 23-hour delay, like WFAA currently does) moves to 2pm (airing same-day shows; albeit on a two-hour delay). General Hospital (which was already airing on an hour delay at 2pm) moves to 3pm. The station says this was the "original" timeslot for GH on Channel 12 (I wonder how long they'd aired it on that timeslot).

T.D. Jakes (which currently airs at 3pm) will be off the daytime schedule. No word if will be placed in the overnight periods or if it would be completely off the schedule. I thought this was a Tegna show. KENS 5 couldn't clear it on their air?

• 9am - KSAT 12 News Good Morning San Antonio @ 9am
  • 10am - Live With Kelly (might as well say 1 hour delay, even though its not a network show)

• 11am - The View (1 hour delay)

• 12pm - KSAT 12 News @ Noon
  • 1pm - SA Live
  • 2pm - The Chew (2 hour delay)

• 3pm - General Hospital (2 hour delay)
  • 4pm - Inside Edition
  • 4:30pm - Entertainment Tonight
  • 5pm - KSAT 12 News @ 5pm
  • 5:30pm - ABC's World News Tonight
  • 6pm - KSAT 12 6 O'Clock News (Full Hour)

Also to point out is that they air Jimmy Kimmel at 11:05pm (instead of 10:35pm) because its 10pm broadcast is 65 minutes at length each weeknight.

I'm sure ABC is loving KSAT 12 airing its entire daytime lineup completely out-of-pattern. :rolleyes: But I guess since they're the top station in the market, I guess the network has no problem with this new lineup.

• Like 1

• 10am - Live With Kelly (might as well say 1 hour delay, even though its not a network show)

More like a two-hour delay (Live with Kelly goes out live at 9:00 am Eastern (which is 8:00 am Central), though it mostly airs at 9:00 am everywhere regardless of time zone).

• Like 1

More like a two-hour delay (Live with Kelly goes out live at 9:00 am Eastern (which is 8:00 am Central), though it mostly airs at 9:00 am everywhere regardless of time zone).

I know Live goes live at 9am/ET. I should've clarified more, "one hour later than most stations in the central time zone". That's what I meant when I said one hour delay on that.

I doubt any of the central stations air Live at the early hour of 8am.

Taking a page from their Denver cohorts, WCSH/WLBZ are about to launch "NewsCenter Now" in a reformatting of their 5PM newscast. Apparently a lot of selfie sticks are involved...are they experiencing some ratings softness with that wonderful T.D. Jakes lead-in?

• Like 2

Can't believe they're switching in the middle of the sweep period (the books is halfway done). Maybe 9 is worried about the shift in ratings because of 6's LMAD move, so there doing this out of desperation? And why they didn't put Harvey on at 3pm in the first place?

I'm not a fan of moving LMAD to 3pm, because that breaks the Game Show block with Price at 11am. But in the areas west of the eastern time zone (unless that station airs it after CTM at 9am), you don't really have a choice. You're stuck airing it after The Talk at 2pm.

Unrelated to this, there a big shift coming for one San Antonio station.

On Monday, March 27, KSAT 12 will be adding a new (Ugh!) 9am newscast. They're shifting Live with Kelly & The View to 10 & 11am, respectively. The Chew (which aired at 11am, on a 23-hour delay, like WFAA currently does) moves to 2pm (airing same-day shows; albeit on a two-hour delay). General Hospital (which was already airing on an hour delay at 2pm) moves to 3pm. The station says this was the "original" timeslot for GH on Channel 12 (I wonder how long they'd aired it on that timeslot).

T.D. Jakes (which currently airs at 3pm) will be off the daytime schedule. No word if will be placed in the overnight periods or if it would be completely off the schedule. I thought this was a Tegna show. KENS 5 couldn't clear it on their air?

• 9am - KSAT 12 News Good Morning San Antonio @ 9am

• 11am - The View (1 hour delay)

• 12pm - KSAT 12 News @ Noon
  • 1pm - SA Live
  • 2pm - The Chew (2 hour delay)

• 3pm - General Hospital (2 hour delay)
  • 4pm - Inside Edition
  • 4:30pm - Entertainment Tonight
  • 5pm - KSAT 12 News @ 5pm
  • 5:30pm - ABC's World News Tonight
  • 6pm - KSAT 12 6 O'Clock News (Full Hour)

Also to point out is that they air Jimmy Kimmel at 11:05pm (instead of 10:35pm) because its 10pm broadcast is 65 minutes at length each weeknight.

I'm sure ABC is loving KSAT 12 airing its entire daytime lineup completely out-of-pattern. :rolleyes: But I guess since they're the top station in the market, I guess the network has no problem with this new lineup.

They also air an hour-long church service at 11am on Sundays, preempting the 11:30 edition of NBA Countdown (although the game itself is still shown). No NBA games on ABC today or next Sunday, but we'll see come March 5. BTW, any other Big 3 Central Time stations air church services at 11am?

• Like 1

J.C. Monahan is leaving Chronicle and WCVB altogether after 15 years. First mentioned by the Boston Herald and later confirmed by J.C. on her twitter page @jcmonahan

To add to this, morning anchor Emily Riemer is moving to JC's current 5pm spot, while noon anchor/morning breaking news anchor Antoinette Antionio will become the new morning anchor while continuing on the noon with Erika Tarantal. The morning breaking news anchor position could possibly be filled by Katie Thompson, who is joining the station from sister station WMTW.

I mentioned this in the shoutbox curious as to what would cause a video to appear to update from top to bottom rather than every other line. I saw this while looking at the NASA pool feed on MSNBC of the SpaceX launch. Beginning at around :45 seconds in the video below as the camera pans to the right I noticed some distortion of the vehicle assembly building as starts to move out of the frame. The movement isn't fluid and as I mentioned the video was updating from the top down.

Focus on the right side of the building and the logo.

Flash forward to Raycom taking over, flooding WUAB with third-rate court and talk shows like all of the other MyNetworkTV stations. They had a chance to keep their dominance, but gradually pared down their more expensive programming, only to have WBNX pick it up. In the process, they became one of the top WB affiliates in the country, and won the chance to get the CW affiliation. The stigma of Ernest Angley and mild swear words being bleeped out disappeared because WBNX was more willing to run a better station than WUAB was.

And to make matters worse, WUAB will live on as a subchannel on WOIO's anemic, abysmal VHF frequency. A signal so terrible that they had to sign on an LD in Akron just to cover most of the market decently.

Not helping was the garbage '43 The Block' branding (combined with an awful 'graffiti' logo), which basically screamed 'this is where your unemployed loser self watches Jerry and Maury and lousy lawyer and for-profit college ads, along with bad sitcoms'. I still remember Gaylord running these dominant regional superstations that either benefited well from the 1994 affiliate switches, or just got bungled into badly run stations when Gaylord abandoned them for the hotel business. WVTV in Milwaukee is finally recovering after being a red-headed stepchild for years over WCGV, for instance.

The only issue likely would have been if "The Chew" was on a one-day delay; at least this addresses that. As long as GH and The Chew aren't broken apart it still all works and it gets that programming out of the noon-2pm CT 'pre-emption zone' that Washington loves to throw their big news conferences into; only an advertiser on SA Live is going to be sad if their gutter demonstration has to be called off a day.

• Like 1

WFAA Dallas still airs The Chew on a one-day delay; everything else is in pattern.

WBAY does it too, but ABC was strict in the past about 'carry it at 1/noon central' or do so the next day', which made time-sensitive episodes look out-of-date; ABC has thankfully waived that requirement since last season and now same-day tape delay is allowed.

J.C. Monahan is leaving Chronicle and WCVB altogether after 15 years. First mentioned by the Boston Herald and later confirmed by J.C. on her twitter page @jcmonahan

rumor has it she will be going to nbc boston now they can send those promos that she and Phil grew up together to them

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic