Out & About

TexasTVNews

Denise Dufala announced on her Facebook page she is leaving WOIO after 22 years with the station to spend more time with her family. She just celebrated 30 years in the Cleveland TV market. Her first eight years were at WJW before she moved to 19.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/12/15/out-he-door-in-cleveland

Others were cut as well per FTVLive. Starting to wonder if this the beginning of Raycom selling out or a potentially pulling a Hawaii/Toledo and merge news operations (with maybe 3 or 5) within the next few years? If so, poor Jason Nicholas.

• Like 1

Something like this had to happen sooner or later. WOIO has had too many anchors in the "Cleveland 19" era.

But I smell another Robin Swoboda comeback.....she needs a position at WOIO to have worked at EVERY TV STATION in Cleveland!

Only way I see Robin Swoboda coming back is if she is given a salary similar to Romona's. Otherwise, she's not joining the "Reserve Square Horror Show".

• Like 3

Only way I see Robin Swoboda coming back is if she is given a salary similar to Romona's. Otherwise, she's not joining the "Reserve Square Horror Show".

I don't see Robin jumping over to 19, but she did some work with 3 a year ago, and wouldn't be surprise of WKYC/Channel 3 snatch Denise Dufala up. Denise was one of the originals when 19 switch to CBS back in 1994.

I don't see Robin jumping over to 19, but she did some work with 3 a year ago, and wouldn't be surprise of WKYC/Channel 3 snatch Denise Dufala up. Denise was one of the originals when 19 switch to CBS back in 1994.

Unless the plan is for WKYC to launch a 5pm newscast (which they should, and it shocks me that they haven't), where would Denise go?

Robin, outside of the April Fool's Day stunt at WKYC and her "Throwback Thursday" guest appearance at WJW last May (alongside Tim Taylor, Dick Goddard and Tony Rizzo), has mainly been absent from the local airwaves. I was somewhat surprised that she didn't make an on-air cameo during Dick Goddard's "final forecast" last month, given that the two have been friends for decades... (so much so that, when she initially left WJW in 1991 for a New York NBC daytime strip that went nowhere, Dick offered to take a pay cut for her to stay!)

Unless the plan is for WKYC to launch a 5pm newscast (which they should, and it shocks me that they haven't), where would Denise go?

Robin, outside of the April Fool's Day stunt at WKYC and her "Throwback Thursday" guest appearance at WJW last May (alongside Tim Taylor, Dick Goddard and Tony Rizzo), has mainly been absent from the local airwaves. I was somewhat surprised that she didn't make an on-air cameo during Dick Goddard's "final forecast" last month, given that the two have been friends for decades... (so much so that, when she initially left WJW in 1991 for a New York NBC daytime strip that went nowhere, Dick offered to take a pay cut for her to stay!)

Jim Donovan has been anchoring the weeknight 7pm newscast on WKYC solo since Robin left. Perhaps Denise can be his co-anchor or she can become the solo anchor (with Jim strickly on sports). There's also Live on Lakeside at Noon. She could be co-host or a sole host for the show, anchoring the news and conducting interviews.

WEWS still has that opening for Good Morning Cleveland after Jackie Fernandez was fired. Maybe Denise could fill that slot (perhaps with a different co-anchor), or have Corrina Pysa get that gig permanently on GMC, and Denise could join Leon Bibb on the Noon news and maybe she could also take over The Now, freeing up Rob Powers and/or Danita Harris to do just 6pm and 11pm. Denise could even fill-in on GMC, the 5pm news or 6pm news.

WJW is full with anchors as it is, unless they would want to launch an 11pm newscast.

• Like 1

Nichole Vrsansky's bio is also gone from 19's website too.

looks like Raycom's getting ready to the cash register. always thought woio had potential, but raycheap always seems to find a way to screw themselves. (even though there have been some bright spots over the years.) it's been troubled ever since they merged with wuab and mistakenly dumped the management team that led wuab's original ten o'clock news into a market leader, even worse after raycom ate more than they can chew with malrite and started cuts. too bad scripps just can't get it's act together again with wews.i remember ted henry saying in his retirement speech that 5 will be one of only two news departments left in cleveland (with the other possibly fox8?) in a couple years time because of its structure.

• Like 1

It's probably in Raycom's best interests to either sell or trade WOIO/WUAB to someone else. Will they? Who knows.

The consolidation news operations in a market like Cleveland is still a few years away. I don't think that either one of these news departments are in immediate trouble to justify such a move. Should the economy go into recession, though... it's anyone's guess.

• Like 1

It's probably in Raycom's best interests to either sell or trade WOIO/WUAB to someone else. Will they? Who knows.

The consolidation news operations in a market like Cleveland is still a few years away. I don't think that either one of these news departments are in immediate trouble to justify such a move. Should the economy go into recession, though... it's anyone's guess.

The moment that Action News was canned at WOIO/WUAB was the death knell of any competitive spirit at Reserve Square. Raycom was really hands-off when Applegate was there but soon as he retired, WOIO/WUAB was going to suffer being an oblivious Raycom station.

• Like 2

The moment that Action News was canned at WOIO/WUAB was the death knell of any competitive spirit at Reserve Square. Raycom was really hands-off when Applegate was there but soon as he retired, WOIO/WUAB was going to suffer being an oblivious Raycom station.

just like it was when they first brought it with the Hometeam debacle..

• Like 3

WOIO just can't catch a break. Now they had to respond to apparent numerous requests to drop this afternoon's Browns loss to the Bills in favor of the Steelers-Bengals matchup.

[MEDIA=twitter]810496185857359873[/MEDIA]

You could understand the frustration since the Browns haven't won a game all year (and will likely finish 0-16 barring any surprises).

• Like 2

If Raycom were to sell/trade WOIO/WUAB, who would want it? Only taker I could see is Nexstar but only if Nexstar is willing to give up WKRN and WKRG/WFNA to Raycom in exchange.

These two stations may be a good fixer upper for Meredith, but they have the same problem in Atlanta with WGCL as it has never had the chance to compete there.

Which then devolved into the ultra-generic "19 News."

That was right before "Action News" came to the scene on April or May of 2002. Cynthia Tinsley left shortly before the switch took place. She did not want to anchor weekends, and without Jack Marshall, with whom she anchored with on WUAB.

Ironically, WOIO used the generic "19 News" branding back in 1995 when the station first went on the air with its newscast. It only lasted a year in which they switched to "CBS 19 News," which I think they should switch back to.

• Like 1

WOIO just can't catch a break. Now they had to respond to apparent numerous requests to drop this afternoon's Browns loss to the Bills in favor of the Steelers-Bengals matchup.

[MEDIA=twitter]810496185857359873[/MEDIA]

Couldn't WUAB be used as a secondary channel for the games that conflict with the Browns? I do have to wonder if the ratings for the Browns games are a lot lower than last year's or the year the before.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic