Out & About

TexasTVNews

I've been waiting for them to do this, since this is similar to KTLA. I wonder why only until 6 and not until 7. Also, I wonder if Brad will do weather from 430-6?

It's basically the same layout that WGN has. 4-6am, and 6-10am. Audiencial and Murphy are newbies to the AM news viewers, so why cannibalize their morning ratings by having Raoul and Shally not start until 7am? Plus, 6am is very competitive, and i'm guessing they're trying to get those viewers that have to leave for work at 7am. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they start the AM News at 4am in the near future

A cute little story at the end of KXAS's late newscast. A five year old boy is obsessed with the Texas Thunder Truck that they made him his own out of one of those little battery power cars young kids can drive around in. It has a tornado on the hood, the NBC 5 logo on the sides, lightning bolts throughout and mud on the tires. They plan on making a little satellite to put on back. I say the real Texas Thunder Truck needs to pay the boy a visit.

• Like 1

The senior member of the Milwaukee anchors, Kathy Mykelby, is beginning a slow transition towards retirement at WISN. As a first step, she has announced she will be leaving the 10:00 newscast, but remaining with the 6:00 show. She will transition to doing special in-depth reporting that will appear on newscasts throughout the day.

Longtime West Texas chief forecaster Horace Brown is moving to news. The Midland-Odessa's ABC affiliate KMID announced that Horace Brown will take

the helm as the evening anchor Local 2 News at 5 & 10PM next Wednesday. Morning meteorologist John Mayer (No relation to the singer) has been promoted

to Chief Meteorologist.

http://www.yourbasin.com/news/horace-brown-named-evening-news-anchor-at-kmid

I'm slightly confused about the use of the green screen for these promo shoots 11 is doing? Would they be shooting straight into the green screen, keying it out and keying it over a better shot of the same location?

[MEDIA=instagram]BLkX13kgkHk[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Some changing faces at WMC-TV...

- Jessica Holley has joined as a reporter and the 4PM Alert Center anchor, replacing Jason Miles, who left recently for KHOU-TV

- Crystal Howard is the latest new reporter, as one of the current ones will likely have to move to mornings while Jerica Phillips is on maternity leave

- Matt Stark, former WHBQ-TV sports director, has replaced Carrie Anderson, who departed the station last night for a position at FedEx

I'm slightly confused about the use of the green screen for these promo shoots 11 is doing? Would they be shooting straight into the green screen, keying it out and keying it over a better shot of the same location?

[MEDIA=instagram]BLkX13kgkHk[/MEDIA]

Yes...

You are correct in your guess...and the 500 other guesses you may have would also be correct.

I will let you in on the secret if you promise NOT to tell.

...It's gonna be a real cool effect/ shot (they hope)...and judging from the picture I have zero clue what the end result will be....except they hope it looks cool.

Or they just might be "removing" those ugly cars with a pre-production element/shot....or just making a funky looking transition box for a stand-up.

This could also be a trick....a giant green 'black hole" that unsuspecting viewers get tossed into and spun into social media hell...only to be tossed out naked during a commercial break.

It's anybodys guess, but if you find out let me know cuz I'm curious also.

• Like 1

I could maybe see doing this if it were a scene filmed for a movie, but a local TV news setup? Sorry, I don't get it. If TV stations are getting their budgets cut, wouldn't this kind of arrangement add expense and complication for a news department? Plus, didn't I hear that technology for TV stations is available (or coming along) and more advanced than what green-screens do and offer?

Yes...

You are correct in your guess...and the 500 other guesses you may have would also be correct.

I will let you in on the secret if you promise NOT to tell.

...It's gonna be a real cool effect/ shot (they hope)...and judging from the picture I have zero clue what the end result will be....except they hope it looks cool.

Or they just might be "removing" those ugly cars with a pre-production element/shot....or just making a funky looking transition box for a stand-up.

This could also be a trick....a giant green 'black hole" that unsuspecting viewers get tossed into and spun into social media hell...only to be tossed out naked during a commercial break.

It's anybodys guess, but if you find out let me know cuz I'm curious also.

It turns out in the promo the talent will be in slow motion and the background will be "super fast mo".

I could maybe see doing this if it were a scene filmed for a movie, but a local TV news setup? Sorry, I don't get it. If TV stations are getting their budgets cut, wouldn't this kind of arrangement add expense and complication for a news department? Plus, didn't I hear that technology for TV stations is available (or coming along) and more advanced than what green-screens do and offer?

It's a green screen on some c-stands. They already have the c-stands and I bought a greenscreen off Amazon on Prime Day for $20. The expense is negligible.

• Like 1

I don't think they're hurting for money - they wouldn't have hired two new anchors/reporters to fill shifts that for years were presented by a single person.

Some changing faces at WMC-TV...

- Matt Stark, former WHBQ-TV sports director, has replaced Carrie Anderson, who departed the station last night for a position at FedEx

Good to see Matt Stark back on the air.

Speaking of changes, WHBQ will be adding a 6PM newscast starting next Monday. It marks the first time in almost 21 years that they will be competing directly against the other stations in that time slot.

• Like 2

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic