Out & About

TexasTVNews

VARTV.com's Twitter reports that WRIC meteorologist Tim Pandajis is leaving the station after four years to join Norfolk's WVEC. He will be the new meteorologist for [I]13 News Now Daybreak[/I]. He replaces Craig Moeller who left the station for KSDK recently. [B]EDIT (8/29): [/B]Dang it! I mean [I]KSDK[/I], not [I]KMOV. [/I]Changed it (thanks for the correction, @WAVY 10 )!

Also from Bob's (VARTV) twitter files, Phillip Townsend returns to WVEC from WFAA to take over weekend anchor from longtime weekend anchor Brian Farrell. Phillip left WVEC in 2014 to take a reporting gig at WFAA.

Farrell is stepping down from the anchor chair to take over as Director of Content for the station.

VARTV.com's Twitter reports that WRIC meteorologist Tim Pandajis is leaving the station after four years to join Norfolk's WVEC. He will be the new meteorologist for 13 News Now Daybreak. He replaces Craig Moeller who left the station for KMOV recently.

I think the station Moeller went to was KSDK (the NBC station at the Gateway to the West).

Coming back to VARTV; it's been noted that WAVY's been running "Welcome Back" promos for their "The Hampton Roads Show" (set to have a new co-host launching starting September 12). Seems almost like the station is suggesting one of their former reporters might be returning for this job (since Liana Munoz's departure; former WAVY personnel Nicole Livas and Kerri Furey have made guest stops)

[MEDIA=twitter]769894410381328384[/MEDIA]

WMTV 15.2 in Madison is taking over the CW on September 12th. According my guide they will be running a newscast from 7am to 9am starting on the 12th (don't know if its a rebroadcast of .1's 5-7am newscast or live) WMTV has hired an anchor for a 9pm newscast but won't be debuting it on the 12th. WBUW will be an independent most likely producing more local programming and sports.

Tribune just announced the sale of Tribune Tower to a firm called CIM Group Acquisitions

Why the big rush to sell off those assets? Is this just plain quick fast greed selling off real estate like the WGN studios, KTLA lot etc?

The (mild) bloodbath continues at WAGA!!

First Lisa Rayam; then Gurvir Dhindsa, and now...Karen Graham is calling it quits on Good Day Atlanta (she announced it in sign language, though she's not deaf herself)! And this comes just as Alyse Eady has made herself home!

I wouldn't be surprised if Fox 5 still has Amanda Davis's number somewhere (maybe Russ Spencer); she was one of Good Day's first hosts in 1992. After all, WVUE's longtime 10:00 anchor John Snell has been demoted to mornings.

• Like 1

Sorry to double post, but here are other stories I've made...

• WBRE 28 has expanded to 4:30am.
  • KFDA 10 is expanding to 5:00am.
  • WHNS 21 has expanded to 4:00am.
  • WALB 10 is adding a half-hour 4:00pm newscast.
  • KVLY 11 will add a 9:00pm nightly newscast for KXJB-LD 30.2 (The CW; CBS on 30.1)
  • WPLG 10 is coming back to 9:00am.
  • WMC 5 is shortening the noon newscast to a half-hour, again.
  • KCPQ 13 is adding weekend morning news (6:00-10:00am) on KZJO 22 - JOE TV.
  • KSDK 5 is expanding the noon newscast again to a full hour.
  • WSFX 26 is adding a half-hour 7:00pm newscast.

All of these have either debuted this week or is scheduled to debut next week or in less than two weeks. I've done so many stories that I don't wanna post those tweets, but just list them instead. Just check out my blog for more details and again, I always let this forum be the first to know.

• Like 1

First Lisa Rayam; then Gurvir Dhindsa, and now...Karen Graham is calling it quits on Good Day Atlanta (she announced it in sign language, though she's not deaf herself)! And this comes just as Alyse Eady has made herself home!

I wouldn't be surprised if Fox 5 still has Amanda Davis's number somewhere (maybe Russ Spencer); she was one of Good Day's first hosts in 1992. After all, WVUE's longtime 10:00 anchor John Snell has been demoted to mornings.

That's not the only departure(s) in the Atlanta news market...

Erica Byfield is leaving WSB to head to the Big Apple. Jovita Moore announced the news live on air. Neither said whether or not she was hired at one of the stations up there.

Sports Anchor David Wilkerson is out at WXIA after 2 years with the station.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/29/sports-anchor-david-wilkinson-leaves-11-alive-after-two-years/

a.) Not to sound like an ageist, but Amanda is in her 60s now and is probably focusing on her sobriety.

b.) Karen going to go work for the deaf community.

c.) Sounds like FOX O&O is trying to streamline as much as it can with WAGA being a powerful O&O outlet.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/waga-morning-anchor-leaving/177306

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/31/good-day-atlanta-host-karen-graham-leaving-fox-5-after-16-years/

That's not the only departure(s) in the Atlanta news market...

Erica Byfield is leaving WSB to head to the Big Apple. Jovita Moore announced the news live on air. Neither said whether or not she was hired at one of the stations up there.

Sports Anchor David Wilkerson is out at WXIA after 2 years with the station.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/29/sports-anchor-david-wilkinson-leaves-11-alive-after-two-years/

Erica's getting married and going to work for WNBC/ 4 New York.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/31/investigative-reporter-erica-byfield-leaving-wsb-tvchannel-2-action-news-after-five-years/

And it'll be an even sadder day in Atlanta (at least for us guys) if Jodie Fleischer -- the Julianne Moore of investigative reporters -- decides to leave next.

I don't know exactly what year newsrooms became "pussyland", but I think it was right about the time they outlawed indoor smoking..

Fights and flying objects were common things in local newsrooms. Maybe it's because there was also ample booze dispersed from producer's and assignment desk.

News Directors were also much skinnier and moved quicker because they didn't want to be targets. They also tended to last more then 2 years at a time.

That sounds like a perfect screwball comedy that needs to be made.

Coming back to VARTV; it's been noted that WAVY's been running "Welcome Back" promos for their "The Hampton Roads Show" (set to have a new co-host launching starting September 12). Seems almost like the station is suggesting one of their former reporters might be returning for this job (since Liana Munoz's departure; former WAVY personnel Nicole Livas and Kerri Furey have made guest stops)

Per WAVY's news release; the co-host will be Kerri Furey

http://www.vartv.com/pdf/WAVY_2016_09_01.pdf

DCRTV reports that Leon Harris will be leaving WJLA/NC8 in October after 13 years.

EDIT:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">13 great yrs at ABC7 are not enough, but will have to be. Thanks for the support, all! Not my choice, but it's now my challenge. Much love!</p>— Leon Harris (@LeonABC7) <a href="[MEDIA=twitter]771730256998854656[/MEDIA]">September 2, 2016</a></blockquote>

(sorry if this is jumbled up, I'm not familiar with HTML.)

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic