Out & About

TexasTVNews

http://www.salisburypost.com/article/20130717/SP01/130719747/1016/rss02/salisburys-garner-will-be-leaving-wbtv-for-columbus-ohio?source=RSS

Katie Garner leaving WBTV for the ABC affiliate in Columbus, OH. She wanted something full-time. This opportunity fell into her lap. I will miss her traffic reports and her weather forecasts on the noon news.

A lot of people leaving Charlotte TV stations lately!

Good Luck being in the Sincrap's dungeon. All the best for her.

According to the Express-News, KENS 5's morning traffic reporter Natalie Tejeda is moving on to WIAT in Birmingham. Danielle Saar, most recently of KOMO and also with KABC, KSWB, WTSP, and KKTV in the recent past, will be her replacement.

Yes, while Saar is easy on the eyes, she won't be here for long. I've seen her work. She is too good for San Antonio and has moved around way too much. Her career isn't stable. I like how she says she visited four years ago for a wedding and fell in love. Puh-leeze, S.A.'s a great city, but don't judge it off of a visit you "had" to make and not just visiting to visit. She's trying to sugarcoat the whole thing and won't be here long.

The only stable traffic reporters here are Shelly Miles of WOAI and the police officers on KSAT. KABB and KENS always hire pretty out-of-towners who stay no more than three years. That means turnover. Turnover is bad...

But its traffic reporters. I know on WSVN they have off camera people doing the traffic with WTVJ and WFOR having a dedicated traffic reporter. WPLG is rotating people in and out.

Considering the rest of the WSVN lineup, I was always shocked that they had a guy off camera doing the traffic and not some piece of eye candy like the rest of the news staff.

And WPLG is starting to imitate WSVN in terms of the style of their news coverage as well as the type of news staff they hire. I think that's why there is so much rotation over there.

• The date is set for WFAA News 8 at 4:00pm: Monday, September 9th. Dallas ABC station replaces Katie for its 4pm newscast.
  • CBS 11/TXA 21 Meteorologist Garry Seith is no longer with station, Jeff Jamison is filling in on the weekday morning news until a replacement is found.

The SBG-owned duopoly here announces a new ND, according to Rick Gevers.

A veteran news director returns to Texas today.

Blaise-Labbe-e1374016219996-60x90.jpg

Labbe

BLAISE LABBE, who’s been the ND for KCTV in Kansas City for 3 1/2 years, has been named Director of News for Sinclair’s new duopoly in San Antonio, WOAI-TV and KABB-TV. He’s a former news director for KWTV in Oklahoma City, and spent more than five years at KENS-TV in San Antonio, first as news operations manager and then assistant news director.

He began his career as a studio camera, moved into news photojournalism, even served a stint as a reporter and weatherman in Wichita Falls, TX. He returned to photography in Amarillo and later Houston, where he was later promoted to Special Projects Producer for KHOU-TV before Belo promoted him to San Antonio.

He replaces TOM BELL who left WOAI earlier this summer to become news director for KOVR-TV in Sacramento.

There's a couple things wrong there. He does NOT replace Tom Bell. He is filling a newly created position. From what I understand, the assistant ND position at WOAI is being eliminated and the current asst. ND will become WOAI's new ND. This new guy will oversee both KABB and WOAI's news. Keith McMahan remains KABB's ND and James Keith remains the assistant ND but I think he will be pink-slipped when the consolidation takes place (I hope McMahan gets the axe instead of J. Keith; James is ND material and it would be their loss if he left).

This is one of the first steps towards consolidation. From what I've heard, they still haven't started on the building but I would think that would start up on it in the next month or so... Stay tuned!

If anyone from the KC market sees this, is he a good ND? What kind of product does KCTV put out under him and what should I expect to see in S.A? I'm not familiar with Labbe's work. WOAI has a large emphasis on investigative reports with some crime sprinkled in. KABB, OTOH, is pure blood and guts plus fires and wrecks. They also have some local human interest stories toward the end.

If anyone from the KC market sees this, is he a good ND? What kind of product does KCTV put out under him and what should I expect to see in S.A? I'm not familiar with Labbe's work. WOAI has a large emphasis on investigative reports with some crime sprinkled in. KABB, OTOH, is pure blood and guts plus fires and wrecks. They also have some local human interest stories toward the end.

I'm vaguely familar with the KC market (some of the other guys who live in the market might be able to help me out).

Prior to him taking charge, KCTV's newscasts were similar to what WOAI's sound like (crime-heavy, investigative reports, sensationalism). Once he took charge though, he toned the crime, investigations, and sensationalism down a fair bit but not to the point where it's excessively soft. So kudos to him for that.

Here is an article I found that goes into more detail of how KCTV changed under his rule: http://www.bottomlinecom.com/kctv-has-changed-dramatically-but-old-perceptions-still-remain/

CBS Atlanta has let go Better Mornings Anchor Brandon Rudat. http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/radio-tv-talk/2013/jul/18/brandon-rudat-has-left-cbs-atlanta/

Also, CBS Atlanta has Finally Hired a sports director, former CNN/turner Sports Anchor Larry Smith, http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/radio-tv-talk/2013/jul/18/former-cnn-sports-anchor-larry-smith-named-sports-/

I'm vaguely familar with the KC market (some of the other guys who live in the market might be able to help me out).

Prior to him taking charge, KCTV's newscasts were similar to what WOAI's sound like (crime-heavy, investigative reports, sensationalism). Once he took charge though, he toned the crime, investigations, and sensationalism down a fair bit but not to the point where it's excessively soft. So kudos to him for that.

Here is an article I found that goes into more detail of how KCTV changed under his rule: http://www.bottomlinecom.com/kctv-has-changed-dramatically-but-old-perceptions-still-remain/

Regarding that article you linked to, the way KCTV used to be is how KABB is now, especially during sweeps. WOAI is FAR softer than that. Seems like he'll do a good job here and he really needs to tone KABB down. They are the market's blood and guts station by far (KSAT is fairly similar content-wise but they have definitely toned it down a bit in favor of more substantial news).

I could see Keith McMahan resigning. Keith is not even a news guy. He used to work at channel 4 as their sports EP before leaving to do PR. Blaise's and Keith's styles seem to be completely different. This will be interesting...

CBS Atlanta has let go Better Mornings Anchor Brandon Rudat. http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/radio-tv-talk/2013/jul/18/brandon-rudat-has-left-cbs-atlanta/

Also, CBS Atlanta has Finally Hired a sports director, former CNN/turner Sports Anchor Larry Smith, http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/radio-tv-talk/2013/jul/18/former-cnn-sports-anchor-larry-smith-named-sports-/

CBS Atlanta continues to have their problems... Time to let their idiot GM go. I can't see why the CBS affiliate in the 9th largest DMA does not have a sports department. Meredith isn't a bad company but they really should just give up on WGCL already and cash it out to CBS...

Fresh batch of comings courtesy of TVSpy.

• Just one month on the air, Orlando's WFTV ABC 9 is expanding its 4:00pm Newscast by 30 minutes. In a statement, the station said the new newscast “provided an immediate ratings boost and laid the ground for big wins with key demographics during the June book.” The extended newscast displaces a 4:30 p.m. episode of “Family Fued.” WFTV says the game show will still air on the station at 10:30 a.m. and on sister station WRDQ at 7 and 7:30 p.m.

• And three years after leaving WAVE 3, Meteorologist John Belski is coming back to WLKY 32. Belski began his career at CBS affiliate WLKY in 1979. He left for WAVE in 1987 and worked there until he left to “explore some new possibilities outside of the TV business” in 2010. “It’s great to be back at WLKY, where I started in Louisville years ago,” Belski said. “I’m excited to join Jay, Matt, Susanne and Jared doing what I love most, covering the weather and keeping people informed.”

Cacky Catlett has left Wilmington's WWAY. She has been replaced by morning anchor Makenzi Henderson.

This station is a joke. They can't seem to keep anybody longer than two years at the maximum. The sad thing is that they seem to know that:

Well, it's happening again. A valued member of our WWAY News Team is leaving us to get married and start a new life.

They need to work on trying to keep their primary team longer than a year or two. I can understand the frequent turnover with reporters, but not anchors. WECT is doing something right when they can manage to keep folks twenty years or more and WWAY cannot....

I also predict Makenzi's replacement will come from INN, because they seem to like to hire their female anchors from there (Henderson and Catlett are both former INN anchors).

KSHB has hired Matt Brown as their assistant news director. He comes from KOKI in Tulsa, OK where he was their full news director.

Anyone know what he was like and how he did over at KOKI?

Oh wait now...upon further research I've discovered that Brown was fired after not even 2 years along with their general manager? I'm also getting implications that their news quality isn't the best. This seems to indicate that he didn't do a good job...makes me wonder now KSHB would have hired him.

MidwestTV, can you describe what KCTV is like under Blaise Labbe since he will be coming to WOAI/KABB on Aug 12?

I've heard that he can be somewhat arrogant and dismissive, but then again, those things are probably said about any news director or general manager at a television station. However he really did help to take KCTV away from their infamous days of in-you-face reporting and harassing, almost stalking like investigations. Not to mention that their news product was near TMZ-like and there was so much death on their newscasts you would've sworn it was a cop show and severe weather coverage of storms outside the viewing area. First on, last off. That was KCTV's philosophy.

However once Labbe took over, all of that stopped. They still have that stigma with them, but it's more or less faded now. He managed to calm the station down (significantly to say the least), build up its actual journalistic qualities and bring the station to a respectable position, both ratings and reputation wise.

KSHB has hired Matt Brown as their assistant news director. He comes from KOKI in Tulsa, OK where he was their full news director.

Anyone know what he was like and how he did over at KOKI?

Oh wait now...upon further research I've discovered that Brown was fired after not even 2 years along with their general manager? I'm also getting implications that their news quality isn't the best. This seems to indicate that he didn't do a good job...makes me wonder now KSHB would have hired him.

Cox Media bought the station from Newport and decided to install their own people. I don't know if it's truly a reflection on the job Brown did as the ND. As I can attest, being the FOX affiliate is a tough road at times, and probably moreso in a medium market like Tulsa.

MidwestTV, can you describe what KCTV is like under Blaise Labbe since he will be coming to WOAI/KABB on Aug 12?

I've heard that he can be somewhat arrogant and dismissive, but then again, those things are probably said about any news director or general manager at a television station. However he really did help to take KCTV away from their infamous days of in-you-face reporting and harassing, almost stalking like investigations. Not to mention that their news product was near TMZ-like and there was so much death on their newscasts you would've sworn it was a cop show and severe weather coverage of storms outside the viewing area. First on, last off. That was KCTV's philosophy.

However once Labbe took over, all of that stopped. They still have that stigma with them, but it's more or less faded now. He managed to calm the station down (significantly to say the least), build up its actual journalistic qualities and bring the station to a respectable position, both ratings and reputation wise.

I'm more interested in why Labbe is leaving a station on the rise, in market 32, for a non-winning duopoly in market 37. Family considerations?

It looks like Christine Haas is out at KNSD. The midday news was anchored by Jason Austell and Marianne Kushi with no mention of Christine. The 4pm is being anchored by Mari Payton and Catherine Garcia with no mention of Christine. Her bio is not on the station's website.

It looks like Christine Haas is out at KNSD. The midday news was anchored by Jason Austell and Marianne Kushi with no mention of Christine. The 4pm is being anchored by Mari Payton and Catherine Garcia with no mention of Christine. Her bio is not on the station's website.

Christine has left KNSD. Catherine replied to me in a tweet mentioning that she unfortunately had to leave for family reasons and was going back to Texas. Really surprising, since she had only been there a year and a half.