Out & About

TexasTVNews

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wdbj-news-director-leaving-after-34-years/169427

The News Director @ WDBJ7 is leaving the station after 34 years at the station and of course was part of a brave management team (including the GM Jeff Marks) who have left the station in the light of the recent buyout of WDBJ from Schurz to Gray

• Like 1

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wdbj-news-director-leaving-after-34-years/169427

The News Director @ WDBJ7 is leaving the station after 34 years at the station and of course was part of a brave management team (including the GM Jeff Marks) who have left the station in the light of the recent buyout of WDBJ from Schurz to Gray

Brave?

Back to the future at WTKR? (Haven't seen anything elsewhere other than VARTV)

[MEDIA=twitter]725266327015968768[/MEDIA]

It's only verbal at the moment... I've been watching some of the live streams. Anchors and reporters are saying "News 3" now. Expect a big change soon.

It's only verbal at the moment... I've been watching some of the live streams. Anchors and reporters are saying "News 3" now. Expect a big change soon.

Probably waiting for the new set (and presumably new graphics) to debut ...

• Like 1

WBOC got a new helicopter in the past month an R44 Newscopter. They nicknamed it Chomper 16 because of the the teeth painted onto its hull. It's an HD bird replacing their Bell 206.

http://www.delmarvalife.com/delmarvalife/wboc-big-secret-reveal-thats-going-to-blow-you-away/

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154072505169539

• Like 2

WBOC got a new helicopter in the past month an R44 Newscopter. They nicknamed it Chomper 16 because of the the teeth painted onto its hull. It's an HD bird replacing their Bell 206.

http://www.delmarvalife.com/delmarvalife/wboc-big-secret-reveal-thats-going-to-blow-you-away/

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154072505169539

That paint job is pretty bad ass!

Think of all the fun the promo people will have with that.

"We don't break news...we take a bite out of it."

It's really what I kinda hoped they would do in San Diego.

• Like 2

Yeah I get the newscasts airing on KICU, but really? KTVU Plus? If you're going to do that, move it to 2.2! Would not put it past them to do the same thing with WMYT in Charlotte.

In fact, why donsn't Fox do the same thing with all their MyNetworkTV stations?

As bad as the My[#] branding is it does hold some value. That branding has been around for nearly a decade now on all the MNT O&OS. And, although it hasn't been an O&O long I'm pretty sure WMYT has had the My[#] for the same length of time.

I'm not sure any other Fox O&O could pull off the "[Call Letter] Plus" branding. Fox for pretty much it'sentire history has de-emphasized Call Letters in favor of "Fox [#]" branding. If they tried a "KSAZ Plus" or 'KRIV Plus" I think you'd have a ton of people wondering what KSAZ and KRIV is. Viewers don't know or associate those stations with their call letters. I don't see it happening but if push came to shove you'd see likey see a "FOX[#] Plus" branding. But, the fact that the KTVU calls still hold value and that Fox apparently sees that kind of speaks volumes to the KTVU brand.

Can they move it to 2.2 later if they wish?

Do the rules allow or prohibit that kind of simulcast on a sub channel?

Yes, The PSIP standard/FCC rules would allow them to do so. Without writing a long post I'll just direct you to a couple previous posts here, here, here and here if you'd like all the details.

WUSA simulcasts their 7pm news on their Bounce subchannel and also will air regular CBS programming over there in the event of longform breaking news coverage or when a Nats baseball game is on the main channel.

Doesn't Hearst do the same thing on their Me-TV subchannels?

I know WBAL has a 10pm show on their MeTV affiliate and while not Hearst owned, WBTV in Charlotte has an 8pm newscast on their Bounce as well.

There are a small number of Diginets (MeTV, Bounce and CoziTV being the main ones) that allow limited network preemption (usually 1-2 hrs./day) for newscasts.

I think KMSP already does it with MyTV/WFTC 29 on KMSP 9.2

Small nitpick. But, WFTC isn't simulcast on KMSP. 9.2 is the "primary stream" for WFTC and it still originates from the WFTC transmitter. In fact, 9.1, 9.2 & 9.3 all originate from WFTC. 9.9, which is KMSP's "primary stream", and 9.4 orignate from KMSP. The only simulcast amongst them is on 9.1 which duplicates KMSP's "primary stream".

Then at why doesn't any of the fox O&O stations at least use their mynet stations for overflow of news, or on the occasion that any program (more than likely a football game that starts at about 8 colonial time, 7 central time) that flows into the time period where their (mynet stations) senior partners would normally air their newscasts?

A lot of them do. WFTC has historically picked up news programming in October during the World Series, etc. But, it all depends on contracts with syndicators, etc. Some agreements require shows to be clears and certian timeslots. And, some don't allow much wiggle room for shows to be bumped...usually only containing exceptions for breaking news or severe weather.

I'm not sure any other Fox O&O could pull off the "[Call Letter] Plus" branding. Fox for pretty much it'sentire history has de-emphasized Call Letters in favor of "Fox [#]" branding. If they tried a "KSAZ Plus" or 'KRIV Plus" I think you'd have a ton of people wondering what KSAZ and KRIV is. Viewers don't know or associate those stations with their call letters.

Yeah, it's been about 20 years since KSAZ has used its calls for anything significant. You have to go back to the Spirit of Arizona package that was carried until 1996/97 for that. A lot of people in saleable demos in Phoenix weren't around then.

I hope that involves the hiring of a well-known Voice Over, like either Bill Ratner, or maybe Scott Chapin.

Doubt it... I don't think either of them are picking up new clients. I think they'll retain the current voice guy, but if they do switch, my guess is Brian Lee because that's who WTVR uses.

• Like 1

This is amusing: two longtime Wichita anchors both announced their departures at the same time. Both will leave on the same day. Cindy Klose of KWCH and Susan Peters of KAKE are both leaving their stations on May 25 (last day of the May book).

This is amusing: two longtime Wichita anchors both announced their departures at the same time. Both will leave on the same day. Cindy Klose of KWCH and Susan Peters of KAKE are both leaving their stations on May 25 (last day of the May book).

What is the over/under that one of them ends up being the spokeshole for one of the local heath care systems/hospitals in the area?

Cuz that seems to be where most of them end up.

I hope that involves the hiring of a well-known Voice Over, like either Bill Ratner, or maybe Scott Chapin.

Really doubt WTKR is going to get Ratner or Chapin.

I don't mind Matt Tacka. But heck maybe we can get Ntropolis to do the voiceovers?

• Like 1

Really doubt WTKR is going to get Ratner or Chapin.

I don't mind Matt Tacka. But heck maybe we can get Ntropolis to do the voiceovers?

:oops::D

Matt Tacka's voice is still on the opens, but they have this different guy doing promos and the WGNT opens.

KXAN (36) continues to dominate the ratings in Austin in the April ratings against 2nd place KVUE (24) and last place KEYE (42), KTBC (7) continues

to struggle in third place.

http://tvradio.blog.austin360.com/2016/04/29/april-tv-ratings-kxan-widens-its-lead/

For how much longer though? Could Nexstar screw that one up?

Oh god it sounds awful

Lol....standby for more spots that reference "swarming".... from high above in Sky Action News Jax, we swarm to cover breaking news in your neighborhood every day, then swarm to another neighborhood across town to cover more late-breaking important details. Aaaaaaction News Jax is EVERYWHERE. Local Coverage You Can Count On!

• Like 3

Lol....standby for more spots that reference "swarming".... from high above in Sky Action News Jax, we swarm to cover breaking news in your neighborhood every day, then swarm to another neighborhood across town to cover more late-breaking important details. Aaaaaaction News Jax is EVERYWHERE. Local Coverage You Can Count On!

They need to send the WBOC News Chomper down to sink some teeth into the coverage...

That's The Facts...Jax!1755335096_WBOC16Chomper.jpg.ff39a2b1ff69db27538afbf744f1b0ba.jpg

• Like 2