Out & About

TexasTVNews

And look at here. Another Hearst station adding a 9pm show on its Me-TV sub. This time, it's KOCO.

KOCO is also adding a hourly 9am show on its main channel. These shows go in effect next Monday.

It's interesting Hearst is all of a sudden launching prime time newscasts on their MeTV subchannels in markets where it doesn't operate a duopoly. The only problem though is, the 10:00/9:00c time slot only accomodates newscasts in that slot Sunday through Fridays, since Me airs half-hour sitcoms during that hour on those nights. On Saturdays, the slot is occupied by the two-hour-long "Svengoolie". Maybe the network should shift that to 11:00/10:00c, so as to prevent stations that air nightly newscasts from joining it in progress, unless they offer a tape-delayed feed of the show to affiliates.

It's interesting Hearst is all of a sudden launching prime time newscasts on their MeTV subchannels in markets where it doesn't operate a duopoly. The only problem though is, the 10:00/9:00c time slot only accomodates newscasts in that slot Sunday through Fridays, since Me airs half-hour sitcoms during that hour on those nights. On Saturdays, the slot is occupied by the two-hour-long "Svengoolie". Maybe the network should shift that to 11:00/10:00c, so as to prevent stations that air nightly newscasts from joining it in progress, unless they offer a tape-delayed feed of the show to affiliates.

Only a few don't offer it on MeTV now like WAPT and only a few don't offer primetime news at all because they carry a different network.

Jon Brady is the new ND for XETV-6 CW San Diego. Jon comes from KING-5 .

I have no clue what to he did at KING.

EatNews: He was Executive Producer at KING 5 and was also the news director at Q13 in Seattle. Great pickup by XETV

I agree. I see Carr being picked up by WXYZ, and maybe an anchor chair. Since Jeff Vaughn gone to LA who anchoring the 5pm news on 7 nowadays?

5pm is Carolyn Clifford and Glenda Lewis

530pm is Glenda and Curtis Jackson.

Dave Manney is a decent News Director and an atrocious scheduler...

30 minutes shifts on 60 minute broadcasts bugs the crap out of me. Are they separately-branded broadcasts (not that that makes it any better)?

• Like 1

30 minutes shifts on 60 minute broadcasts bugs the crap out of me. Are they separately-branded broadcasts (not that that makes it any better)?

Why do you hate the different anchor on a 30 minute newscast. I like don't care for having the same anchor team doing all (3 or 4) newscast M-F? A newscast should have some variety of talent on the evening news.

Why do you hate the different anchor on a 30 minute newscast. I like don't care for having the same anchor team doing all (3 or 4) newscast M-F? A newscast should have some variety of talent on the evening news.

No, no. I like multiple teams on an evening slate of broadcasts; my station of choice mixes and matches 6 evening anchors across 5 broadcasts. However, I think if a station airs a full hour at 4, 5, 6, whenever, the same 2 anchors should carry the whole program, and not switch one or both out halfway through.

• Like 1

According to the guide, WCVB airs Svengoolie on a delay, from 11pm-1am. KCCI & KETV also delays it one hour.

The copy calls it "Action News At 5". The teaser banners say "New at 5" and "New at 530". Every open says "You're watching 7 Action News, Always taking action for you". So while WJBK and WDIV use two anchor teams during the 5pm hour and brand as two distinct half hours with times in their opens, Channel 7 has elected not to do that despite the recent changes to that hour.

Even 10+ years ago when they had times in their opens the 530 one said "7 Action News At 5"...

They implemented this new anchor lineup last June by the way... This is the first time Channel 7 has tried two different anchor teams for 5 and 530. It's also the only hour in Detroit TV with only black anchors.

It's also arguably one of the weakest newscasts Channel 7 has... It's a shame because this was their powerhouse hour for almost 25 years...

Guest NewsHound
Morris has a new website layout. WXXV, WTVQ, WDEF, WCBI, WWAY and WMGT have made the switch and, in all honesty, it is a nice layout.

It's WordPress, and not even the VIP version most broadcasters who use WordPress use. It's the standard free WordPress.org.

I will say whoever did the layout though also branded the backend, which means that Morris hired a designer who knows what they're doing.

• Like 1

But the anchors need those breaks to take their naps...and drink their juice boxes. Some use that time to make little finger paintings that the nice weather lady shows later on tv.

• Like 4

They should reorganize the pairings:

Noon & 5pm: Joanne Purtan & Glenda Lewis

4pm & 10pm: Curtis Jackson & Heather Catallo

6pm, 7pm, & 11pm: Stephen Clark & Carolyn Clifford

And if they decide to bring in Jason Carr, put him on the morning show and send Malcom back to weekend mornings.

They should reorganize the pairings:

Noon & 5pm: Joanne Purtan & Glenda Lewis

4pm & 10pm: Curtis Jackson & Heather Catallo

6pm, 7pm, & 11pm: Stephen Clark & Carolyn Clifford

And if they decide to bring in Jason Carr, put him on the morning show and send Malcom back to weekend mornings.

That would work better though I would kick Glenda to weekends and put Malcolm on the 5 with Purtan. Glenda is awful at reading copy.

http://www.ftvlive.com/ftvlivegmailcom/2016/3/30/breaking-pittsburgh-anchor-is-fired-for-facebook-post

Wendy Bell Fired at WTAE/Pittsburgh

Look she has a family not a fan of what she did, but I remember she was the rising star and other sites bashed her, because Michelle Wright & Sally Wiggin was pushed back for Wendy. Hopefully, she'll get another gig, and stations/on-air talent have to make sure what's right to place on social media.

• Like 2

KRON is adding a 10pm- 11:15pm newscast beginning in May. This according to Rich Lieberman.

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/

Is he late or what?

His story about this is today, March 30th.

FTVLive and I (with credit from FTVLive) posted stories about this on March 10th, 20 days ago:

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2016/03/10/kron-getting-back-into-1000-pm-news-7-days-a-week-1100-pm-news-shortened/

EDIT: 1,000th post.

• Like 1

Is he late or what?

His story about this is today, March 30th.

FTVLive and I (with credit from FTVLive) posted stories about this on March 10th, 20 days ago:

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2016/03/10/kron-getting-back-into-1000-pm-news-7-days-a-week-1100-pm-news-shortened/

EDIT: 1,000th post.

Not to mention, the 10:00 p.m. news addition at KRON was already posted on this thread... tagging Roly (WSVNFan)'s blog post as a reference.

KRON will soon be competing against KTVU at 10:00 p.m. for the first time since the failed "Early Prime" experiment involving it and KPIX in the early 1990s. As reported by FTV Live and relayed by Roly Ortega's Changing Newscasts Blog, the station will debut a nightly, hour-long 10:00 p.m. newscast in May. However, oddly, the addition of the program will result in the existing 11:00 p.m. newscast being slashed by 15 minutes to 15 minutes in length.

Not to mention, the 10:00 p.m. news addition at KRON was already posted on this thread... tagging Roly (WSVNFan)'s blog post as a reference.

Yep!!!

Rich Liberman is stupid for posting it as an "EXCLUSIVE" when I already knew about this, 20 days ago!

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black. You often post things as "first on the blog" that have been posted elsewhere.

If it ain't on TVSpy, TVNewsCheck, FTVLive or anywhere, then I put it as that, with credit to somebody else if needed.

For example, the KCWI thing... I was first because I beat TVSpy, TVNewsCheck and FTVLive to the story, even though I gave credit to The Des Moines Register for actually being first on it. Plus, I used some of their information for my report.

If it ain't on TVSpy, TVNewsCheck, FTVLive or anywhere, then I put it as that, with credit to somebody else if needed.

For example, the KCWI thing... I was first because I beat TVSpy, TVNewsCheck and FTVLive to the story, even though I gave credit to The Des Moines Register for actually being first on it. Plus, I used some of their information for my report.

Your second paragraph says it all. You're not first if you're quoting someone else!!!

And I believe there has been an instance where you reported something after another one of those websites reported it, but still classified it as "first".

• Like 5

Your second paragraph says it all. You're not first if you're quoting someone else!!!

And I believe there has been an instance where you reported something after another one of those websites reported it, but still classified it as "first".

I did with KOCO but later took that out after realizing it.

I guess I'll start doing that next time if I see any website with it before I do.