Out & About

TexasTVNews

The Department of Justice has filed suit to block Tribune Publishing for acquiring the newspapers owned by Freedom Communications.

Tribune Publishing owns the LA Times while Freedom owns Orange County Register & Riverside County Press-Enterprise.

Tribune recently won (at a bankruptcy auction) to acquire the remaining assets of Freedom early Thursday Morning, when the DOJ filed suit hours later. The DOJ fear that should the deal go through, Tribune would have a monopoly in print media in the OC & in Riverside. Tribune stated that it will defend the legality of the sale.

Freedom previously own several television stations prior to the end of 2011, when it sold its broadcasting arm to Sinclair.

God forbid Tribune gets a monopoly on something nobody reads.

• Like 1

Boston ABC affiliate WCVB cutting it's hour long 10 pm newscasts on MeTv to 30 minutes after its launch 3 weeks ago

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/3/21/that-didnt-take

I think they were a bit overly ambitious with launching new 4 & 7PM newscasts this year. Let the audience find their way (and where MeTV Boston is) and give it a while.

Surprising to see a station as strong as WCVB make such a knee-jerk decision.

I will add that I'm surprised they did not have a 10pm newscast long before this. Most Hearst stations have had them for ages either on their sister station or subchannel.

• Like 1

Surprising to see a station as strong as WCVB make such a knee-jerk decision.

The newscast should have been 30 minutes from the start. In a market which already has 3 stations on for a full hour at 10 (plus WBIN), a half hour newscast has its advantages.

Also, being on a subchannel has its disadvantages especially in terms of being less visible and lack of carriage on satellite.

• Like 1

Guest NewsHound
WTKR's supposed to be getting a new set soon

[MEDIA=twitter]712250026706210816[/MEDIA]

Is it too much to hope they'll get the WTTV graphics?

Guest NewsHound
As I predicted before... I have a feeling they will go the WREG way and use WREG graphics.

Isn't it the same package though but with more red than orange?

So a big follow-up.

Since the Feds were recently granted the its request to block the sale, Freedom changed course and accepted a $52M bid from runner-up bidder Digital First Media. The bankrupt court approved that sale on Monday.

how come it is just now coming out?

It's not. It was out last year. I see you got it from the "On the Move 3/22/16" post. The "On the Move" post tend to sometimes have months old info on there, similar to FTVLive's "Changing Jobs". They must be press releases that are send out by agents on a quarterly basis.

• Like 1

It's not. It was out last year. I see you got it from the "On the Move 3/22/16" post. The "On the Move" post tend to sometimes have months old info on there, similar to FTVLive's "Changing Jobs". They must be press releases that are send out by agents on a quarterly basis.

so when is mike on now? Mornings, Night, Weekens?