Out & About

TexasTVNews

Will Thomas exits FOX5/WTTG after 19 years (via FTV Live)

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/3/11/well-would-you-loo

Note to "Young Will"...

Now is a good time to remember what you have been told over and over again...

"You will see many of the same people going down...that you did while going up..."

Learn to be humble.

• Like 1

first FOX then CBS now NBC. they are starting to use their Logos for prime time TV shows and nightly news in the Corner instead of the Safe Zone. however CBS didn't quite exactly put theirs in the corner. but it does happen during PGA Tour broadcasts and some CBS events. the only stations that are still doing the Safe Zone is The CW, ABC and CBS (Daytime Shows). Local IDs are still shown in the Safe Zone.

• Like 2

first FOX then CBS now NBC. they are starting to use their Logos for prime time TV shows and nightly news in the Corner instead of the Safe Zone. however CBS didn't quite exactly put theirs in the corner. but it does happen during PGA Tour broadcasts and some CBS events. the only stations that are still doing the Safe Zone is The CW, ABC and CBS (Daytime Shows). Local IDs are still shown in the Safe Zone.

CBS Primetime is still in the safe zone.

According to DCRTV former WMAR anchor turned WBAL Radio host Mary Beth Marsden has been let go from the station which has been suffering lowering ratings. She spent the past five years at the station after taking a buy out from WMAR.

I think I way to increase WBAL-AM's ratings would be to merge the news departments or make them much closer than they already are. Maybe bring them back to sharing a news director.

That's a good summary. KSAZ has the market's longest-running anchor team (15 years or so at 9pm, three of the four going back to the 90s or earlier), stability all around, and a flashy, custom Fox look (they use a custom open with a theme that still isn't in the NMSA 2.5 years later) with some annoying right-wing skews (their Flashpoint segment, The Americans with Charlie LeDuff, a few network pieces) and ever-present technical problems.

They're so hard to describe because they are a combination of Big Three station with Fox presentation approaches — and honestly have been ever since about 1997.

Good point. KSAZ does have a stable anchor team in the evenings. I just wish they would find a higher profile role for Linda Williams. She seems so underused on the station.

KPNX has gone downhill dramatically over the past decade. They seriously underuse Brahm Resnick, one of the better journalists at the station.

KTVK has improved over the years. GMAZ is newsier than it was a decade ago, when it was virtually unwatchable. Nicole Crites, Brandon Lee, and Heather Moore are solid in the evenings (although I bet the ratings are still not great).

KPHO is still trying to find itself in the mornings with Wake-Up Arizona, which is fluffier than GMAZ if that is possible. Sean and Kris are decent in the evenings. I'm surprised that there is still overlap in the newscast times between KTVK and KPHO, which leads to some pre-recorded reports on the newscast's top stories (a single reporter can't do two live shots at the exact same time).

KNXV has a generally appealing newscast. I just wish they would tone down the hype a bit. It just gets annoying after a while. They tend to very newsy but overly sensational.

CBS Primetime is still in the safe zone.

According to DCRTV former WMAR anchor turned WBAL Radio host Mary Beth Marsden has been let go from the station which has been suffering lowering ratings. She spent the past five years at the station after taking a buy out from WMAR.

I think I way to increase WBAL-AM's ratings would be to merge the news departments or make them much closer than they already are. Maybe bring them back to sharing a news director.

oh yeah that's right. primetime too. also TNT does it as well.

Good point. KSAZ does have a stable anchor team in the evenings. I just wish they would find a higher profile role for Linda Williams. She seems so underused on the station.

KPNX has gone downhill dramatically over the past decade. They seriously underuse Brahm Resnick, one of the better journalists at the station.

KTVK has improved over the years. GMAZ is newsier than it was a decade ago, when it was virtually unwatchable. Nicole Crites, Brandon Lee, and Heather Moore are solid in the evenings (although I bet the ratings are still not great).

KPHO is still trying to find itself in the mornings with Wake-Up Arizona, which is fluffier than GMAZ if that is possible. Sean and Kris are decent in the evenings. I'm surprised that there is still overlap in the newscast times between KTVK and KPHO, which leads to some pre-recorded reports on the newscast's top stories (a single reporter can't do two live shots at the exact same time).

KNXV has a generally appealing newscast. I just wish they would tone down the hype a bit. It just gets annoying after a while. They tend to very newsy but overly sensational.

I have no idea who's #1 in Phoenix since it sounds like 3/5ths (KPNX and KTVK/KPHO) of the TV market is a mess.

KPNX is not entirely a lost cause. Besides Resnick, they have one of the best sportscasters in town in Bruce Cooper. He's right up there with Jude LaCava. As for Linda Williams, I believe real estate might be her day job (she had been co-hosting a weekend real estate show on the radio).

I have no idea who's #1 in Phoenix since it sounds like 3/5ths (KPNX and KTVK/KPHO) of the TV market is a mess.

The Spanish stations KTVW and KTAZ tend to do better demo-wise then the English-language stations. There's no dominant station here (KTVK tends to own mornings; KSAZ early evenings and 9pm, and 10pm usually goes to KPHO just due to the laziness of viewers who won't change the channel after CBS primetime).

The Spanish stations KTVW and KTAZ tend to do better demo-wise then the English-language stations. There's no dominant station here (KTVK tends to own mornings; KSAZ early evenings and 9pm, and 10pm usually goes to KPHO just due to the laziness of viewers who won't change the channel after CBS primetime).

In other words, the Phoenix market is just as competitive (or just as bad) as the Pittsburgh television market, with all stations claiming wins. The only exception I see is that Phoenix has no dominant and KDKA is the dominant in Pittsburgh. But I think KSAZ is the dominant one in Phoenix.

In other words, the Phoenix market is just as competitive (or just as bad) as the Pittsburgh television market, with all stations claiming wins. The only exception I see is that Phoenix has no dominant and KDKA is the dominant in Pittsburgh. But I think KSAZ is the dominant one in Phoenix.

I've seen ads on both KTVW and KTAZ claiming ratings victories, but nothing on other stations (I don't pay attention to KTVK or KPHO, by the way, but KPHO seems to claim they're the "most watched station" from sign-on to sign-off).

If the reports are correct, I don't think KPNX wins any time slot these days. Fifteen years ago, it wasn't uncommon for them to flaunt their ratings dominance in press releases.

• Like 1

I've seen ads on both KTVW and KTAZ claiming ratings victories, but nothing on other stations (I don't pay attention to KTVK or KPHO, by the way, but KPHO seems to claim they're the "most watched station" from sign-on to sign-off).

If the reports are correct, I don't think KPNX wins any time slot these days.

I could easily see both KTVW and KTAZ claim ratings victories as there's a large Spanish speaking community in Phoenix. When there are only two main stations that produce Spanish language news the audience is going to be bigger unlike the English stations which are fragmented. Look at how WSCV has dominated their time slots the past few cycles.

If the reports are correct, I don't think KPNX wins any time slot these days. Fifteen years ago, it wasn't uncommon for them to flaunt their ratings dominance in press releases.

KPNX was very dominant from about 1996 to maybe the late 2000s.

As to the Spanish stations, KTVW dominated for a very long time because it was a giant with no full-power competition for its first 27 years on air. But KTAZ is very competitive these days and has put some ratings wins together of late. Keep in mind that the effective DMA for both stations is Phoenix + Tucson, and I wonder how they rate in each segment of the combined market.

Meanwhile in Orlando, Old Man Treanor is officially out of retirement. Danny Treanor, who was former weatherman at WFTV and News 13, was recently freelancing at WKMG; effective this weekend, he'll be sticking around the station for a while (specifically weekends at 6/6:30 and 11).

Also, Madeline Evans, who has been working behind the scenes as a weather producer will handle weekend morning duties starting next weekend.

As for Elizabeth Hart, she has departed the station "to pursue other tv opportunities".

KMAX CW 31 now launches CBS 13 KOVR's News Coverage at 6:30PM. CBS programming on KOVR is Delayed due to March Madness Games.

CBS 13 News at 6:30 on CW 31 with Adrienne Moore and Dave Baker. This is a regular newscast, not just a temporary thing. KOVR 13 already does 11:00pm news for KMAX 31.

The Department of Justice has filed suit to block Tribune Publishing for acquiring the newspapers owned by Freedom Communications.

Tribune Publishing owns the LA Times while Freedom owns Orange County Register & Riverside County Press-Enterprise.

Tribune recently won (at a bankruptcy auction) to acquire the remaining assets of Freedom early Thursday Morning, when the DOJ filed suit hours later. The DOJ fear that should the deal go through, Tribune would have a monopoly in print media in the OC & in Riverside. Tribune stated that it will defend the legality of the sale.

Freedom previously own several television stations prior to the end of 2011, when it sold its broadcasting arm to Sinclair.