Out & About

TexasTVNews

Well, I can't say I didn't nail one prediction in 2016. I said Duane Polman wasn't going to get the 6 and 11pm anchor spot at WCMH. I was right. It's going to be Mike Jackson with Current Weekend Sports Anchor Matt Barns taking over The Morning Show.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2016/01/05/0105-mike-jackson-channel-4.html

• Like 1

Belated congrats (from sometime over the holidays) to David Finfrock, chief meteorologist with KXAS, who has been with them 40 years. Hard to believe. He has been on in DFW longer than any of the current weather or news anchors in the market. The only previous on-air person who served longer was the late/great Harold Taft, who was chief meteorologist at WBAP/KXAS for 42 years (1949-1991) and helped to mentor Finfrock. KXAS only did a very brief on-air mention with a few clips. Happy 40th to David.

Just thinking out loud but WBAL had a listing out for an Anchor/Reporter about a month ago. I don't think anyone is leaving but maybe they were considering / planning a 4PM newscast with Meredith Vieira being canceled?

Speaking of WBAL, I do remember they live stream their news, but I see their news is on demand giving you a video of a different newscast. However Hearst' WCVB was doing live stream. Does BAL still live stream?

Well, I can't say I didn't nail one prediction in 2016. I said Duane Polman wasn't going to get the 6 and 11pm anchor spot at WCMH. I was right. It's going to be Mike Jackson with Current Weekend Sports Anchor Matt Barns taking over The Morning Show.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2016/01/05/0105-mike-jackson-channel-4.html

Mike Jackson and Colleen Marshall make good sense. Mike been with 4 since 1994, and Colleen will celebrate 30 yrs with the station next yr. Ellie & Duane will just do the 5PM News, but many don't like Duane. Also I'm surprise Gabe Spiegel not looking at 4 or 10. He moving back to town. He's a communication director at some company. He no longer on WJW 4pm news.

TVNT would like to take this time wish two stations who are celebrating their 60th Anniversary this month.

WREG-TV Memphis, TN is celebrating its 60th Anniversary. The Mid-South's CBS affiliate went on the air on New Year's Day in 1956.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/marketshare/2016/01/06/wreg-celebrates-its-60th-birthday/

KTXS-TV Abilene/Sweetwater, TX will also be celebrating its 60th Anniversary on January 30th becoming the second TV station to

sign on the air in The Texas Midwest and The Big Country.

• Like 1

David Bernard is well known to many South Floridians from his time at WFOR-TV as chief meteorologist, but most recently he returned to his former stomping grounds -- New Orleans -- where he was the morning meteorologist at WWL-TV prior to moving to WFOR-TV. He has recently been the weekday morning meteorologist for WVUE-TV in New Orleans where he replaced Chris Franklin whose contract was not renewed by WVUE-TV and Raycom Media management. Now David will make another move at the FOX affiliate as Chief Meteorologist. He will be replacing longtime Chief Meteorologist Bob Breck. Bob's retirement is effective beginning March 2, 2016 after 35-years at the station.

Shelby Latino will become FOX 8's new weekday morning meteorologist. She has worked in Greenville, MS and Fresno, CA and is a graduate of Mississippi State University.

Bruce Katz will remain in his current time slots on weekdays and Nicondra Norwood will remain the weekend meteorologist.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/30902123/your-weather-authority-prepares-for-the-end-of-an-era

• Like 1

Speaking of WBAL, I do remember they live stream their news, but I see their news is on demand giving you a video of a different newscast. However Hearst' WCVB was doing live stream. Does BAL still live stream?

As far as I know they still live stream - the different shows all appear in the NewsON app (which takes the streaming feed).

Unrelated to the NBC announcement today, NECN has announced three new hires this afternoon.

Former WHDH Chief Meteorologist Pete Bouchard will be joining NECN's Early Warning Team. His position is effective on Monday.

WFLD anchor/reporter Melody Mendez will anchor its morning newscasts. Her position will start at the end of March.

And WFXT anchor/reporter Joy Lim Nakrin will anchor its afternoon newscasts, and will report for the evening shows. Her position will start in early May.

Unrelated to the NBC announcement today, NECN has announced three new hires this afternoon.

Former WHDH Chief Meteorologist Pete Bouchard will be joining NECN's Early Warning Team. His position is effective on Monday.

WFLD anchor/reporter Melody Mendez will anchor its morning newscasts. Her position will start at the end of March.

And WFXT anchor/reporter Joy Lim Nakrin will anchor its afternoon newscasts, and will report for the evening shows. Her position will start in early May.

But its somewhat relatable because eventually, Pete and those two will show up on NBC Boston as well.

A producer at WFLD told female reporters to not wear hats during live shots because they “look a lot better without hats,” he would make an exception “if it’s 20 below.” Station management have said that it was never a station policy and that the producer would be reprimanded

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/chicago-tv-stations-hats-off-policy-for-female-reporters-didnt-last-very-long.html

A producer at WFLD told female reporters to not wear hats during live shots because they “look a lot better without hats,” he would make an exception “if it’s 20 below.” Station management have said that it was never a station policy and that the producer would be reprimanded

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/chicago-tv-stations-hats-off-policy-for-female-reporters-didnt-last-very-long.html

That would be the Executive Producer, former WOIO News Director, Dan Salamon, according to FTV and TVSpy.

• Like 1

Former WFAA and KTXD anchor/reporter Jeff Brady is heading back to The Alamo City. Brady will be anchoring KENS 5 Eyewitness News at 5, 6 & 10PM

succeeding Jeff Goldblatt. Brady anchored one time in San Antonio over at KSAT 12 with Ursula Pari in the mid/late 90s before coming to WFAA in 2000.

Jeff Brady's first day at KENS 5 and back on the air in San Antonio is this coming Wednesday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/movies-tv/article/KENS-TV-hires-KSAT-ex-as-chief-anchorman-6746537.php

Some consummations & a couple of new M&As tonight.

The KFWD sale from HIC Broadcast, Inc. to NRJ TV (Titan), was consummated on Friday.

Also closed on Friday was Sinclair's acquisition of Corpus Christi's Fox affiliate KUQI from High Maintenance Broadcasting.

Nexstar is exercising it's option to buy White Knight Class A LP station KZUP in Baton Rouge. Nexstar could resell this station in the upcoming auctions in March.

And finally, the final station in the Pappas Liquidating Trust is being sold. WLGA in Opelika, AL is being sold to Cabellero (CNZ Communications SE, LLC) for $500K. This is the same firm that bought Milwaukee station WIWN in the summer of 2014.

Well I guess NRJ will add The Works subchannel for KFWD.

Will KUQI get new website?

• Like 5

And Comet TV (though, my TV can't add KFWD to its channel list for some reason)

At some point, yes

The bigger question is ... will KUQI get a news department of its very own? Or at least partner with another Corpus Christi station -- or a nearby Sinclair station, such as KGBT in Harlingen -- to finally put a 9 p.m. newscast on the air?

• Like 1

The bigger question is ... will KUQI get a news department of its very own? Or at least partner with another Corpus Christi station -- or a nearby Sinclair station, such as KGBT in Harlingen -- to finally put a 9 p.m. newscast on the air?

Sinclair hasn't really created a news department from scratch on any of its stations since the News Central era (KDBC doesn't exactly count since Sinclair opted to beef up the existing resources, partly by hiring additional staff, used by KFOX for its revamped newscasts after the two were folded into the same complex). In fact, the company hasn't made good on his promise to move production of KPTM's newscasts back to Omaha, if that says anything.

A news share agreement is more likely, though KRIS is out of the question, since it already produces newscasts for its CW Plus subchannel, leaving KIII as the only feasible option to produce KUQI's newscasts.

WFOX is finally returning to early evenings. This evening (January 11), the station is adding an hour-long 6:00 p.m. newscast; the first half-hour is a simulcast of CBS sister WJAX's existing 6:00 news (the two stations already simulcast the 5:00-7:00 a.m. block of their morning newscast as well as news updates produced for WJAX to air during CBS This Morning that air during WFOX's continuation of its local newscast), while the second half-hour will be exclusive to WFOX (as WJAX airs the CBS Evening News at 6:30).

As WAWS, WFOX carried an hour-long 4:00 p.m. newscast from 2000 to 2007, when it was cancelled, leaving its 10:00 p.m. show as its only newscast for a time.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/91349/wfox-to-debut-6-and-630-news

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic