Out & About

TexasTVNews

Don't be surprised that the terrible ratings of The Meredith Vieira Show will make stations start airing more local newscasts. WPBF 25 (WCVB 5's sister station in Palm Beach) has already done so by adding a 9:00 a.m. hour-long weekday newscast weeks ago while pushing Meredith to 1:05 a.m. and now, it looks like WCVB 5 is doing the same.

I don't know about WBAL because this season they completely cancelled the standard over night rerun (on NBC stations at least) during the fourth hour rerun of Today in favor of Access Hollywood Live.

I still wonder how Doctor Oz may be doing in the ratings over all given the recent scandals.

But it's also worth noting WBAL is looking for an Anchor/Reporter on their website. So maybe there will be some expansion come the New Years (when mid season changes occur).

Also WBAL has been using there Olympic logo for their newscasts, bugs during programming, station ID's and even a give away. Everything except Baltimore appears on air. During Ravens season we have purple Friday's and everything except the Olympic Rings turn to a translucent purple. image.jpeg.175d7d7db94dc7a7b2bd8a2248d2d473.jpeg

Also WBAL has been using there Olympic logo for their newscasts, bugs during programming, station ID's and even a give away. Everything except Baltimore appears on air. During Ravens season we have purple Friday's and everything except the Olympic Rings turn to a translucent purple. [ATTACH=full]2380[/ATTACH]

It's waaaaay too early for the Olympics logo to be tagged on anything.. The fact that NBC's been promoting the hell out of it since the start of the football season bothers me.

• Like 2

It's waaaaay too early for the Olympics logo to be tagged on anything.. The fact that NBC's been promoting the hell out of it since the start of the football season bothers me.

When does that usually start on the network side (logo bug)? Right after the new year?

Probably just trying to get people interested in it early so that when they finally come around they can tune in to see what all the hubbub was about. Plus they're in Brazil this time around, which means we'll be able to see a lot more events live rather than tape delayed; a big criticism of NBC's Olympic coverage.

• Like 1

When does that usually start on the network side (logo bug)? Right after the new year?

Probably just trying to get people interested in it early so that when they finally come around they can tune in to see what all the hubbub was about. Plus they're in Brazil this time around, which means we'll be able to see a lot more events live rather than tape delayed; a big criticism of NBC's Olympic coverage.

From what I recall (and consulting Wikipedia) it's the beginning of the New Year for Summer Olympics and the beginning of the television season for the Winter Olympics. At first I thought it was a mistake when they uploaded their Ravens logo in the name dropper where everything turns purple (save for the Olympics rings) on Purple Friday's. When the logo first appears on screen it starts out with a Ravens helmet, then rotates to the broadcast team badge and finally their purple Ravens logo.

As a side note Ava Marie returns tomorrow from maternity leave.

But will CBS 2.2 be in HD OTA, or just for cable viewers?

Their mux has four subchannels. They did mention the CW subchannel would be available in HD on Time Warner Cable.

This isn't Mexico where you can actually get away with MPEG-4 compression and offer two HD and some SD subs.

Speaking of Spanish, MundoMax outlet KFWD Dallas has been sold to spectrum speculator NRJ for just shy of $10 million. It operates on VHF.

This is long, long overdue. The excuses Granite trotted out for freezing Utica out of CBS became old once Granite stopped marketing to Utica.

I wonder if Heartland will be able to get an LPTV or two to help with the load.

• Like 1

WKTV 2.1 is already in HD and I believe that WKTV 2.2 will be the same. They are currently upgrading for WKTV 2.3 to be broadcast in HD as well, so I think WKTV 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 will be in HD, with 2.4 remaining in SD.

WDAY is similar, except that its 2 in HD and 2 in SD, even though all 4 of WDAY's subchannels are in 16:9.

They are currently upgrading for WKTV 2.3 to be broadcast in HD as well, so I think WKTV 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 will be in HD, with 2.4 remaining in SD.

I thought the article said The CW would be in HD only on cable? 2.3 would still be in SD OTA, with 2.1 and 2.2 in HD.

Why would you have three HD channels OTA (like KBMT Beaumont TX)? That would be a waste of bandwidth.

According to rabbit ears NBC will be 1080i, while CBS will be 720x480, it appears CW and MeTV are 4:3. From the video announcement I kind of got the message that they will be HD on cable/satellite as they talked about HD upgrades.

Now I wonder if they will share newscasts?

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=print_station&facility_id=60654

Edit It appears CW will be launched in HD on TWC.

http://www.wktv.com/news/WKTV_bringing_CBS_affiliation_to_Utica.html

According to rabbit ears NBC will be 1080i, while CBS will be 720x480, it appears CW and MeTV are 4:3. From the video announcement I kind of got the message that they will be HD on cable/satellite as they talked about HD upgrades.

Now I wonder if they will share newscasts?

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=print_station&facility_id=60654

From what I heard in the WKTV interview at 5:30pm from yesterday that's now online, "CBS Utica 2" (a stupid name IMO) will simulcast all WKTV newscasts until there are CBS-specific newscasts for the digital subchannel. It may continue to simulcast WKTV's main news after that, but I'm not really sure about that.

And now, Utica will have all 6 affiliations:

WKTV 2:

- NBC on 2.1

- CBS on 2.2

- CW on 2.3

WUTR 20:

- ABC on 20.1

- MyTV on 20.2 (also WPNY 11)

WFXV 33:

- FOX on 33.1

Don't be surprised that the terrible ratings of The Meredith Vieira Show will make stations start airing more local newscasts. WPBF 25 (WCVB 5's sister station in Palm Beach) has already done so by adding a 9:00 a.m. hour-long weekday newscast weeks ago while pushing Meredith to 1:05 a.m. and now, it looks like WCVB 5 is doing the same.

Or in the case of WSOC/WAXN, dump Meredith completely (for the FAB Life). Really surprised they have yet to launch a 4:00 newscast. I guess WSOC is happy with Dr. Phil at 4.

From what I heard in the WKTV interview at 5:30pm from yesterday that's now online, "CBS Utica 2" (a stupid name IMO) will simulcast all WKTV newscasts until there are CBS-specific newscasts for the digital subchannel. It may continue to simulcast WKTV's main news after that, but I'm not really sure about that.

And now, Utica will have all 6 affiliations:

WKTV 2:

- NBC on 2.1

- CBS on 2.2

- CW on 2.3

WUTR 20:

- ABC on 20.1

- MyTV on 20.2 (also WPNY 11)

WFXV 33:

- FOX on 33.1

One would think that Nexstar was interested in CBS, too. I wonder how much of a premium Heartland is paying CBS for the privilege. Gotta think that Nexstar will get rid of one of their channels in the auction.

One would think that Nexstar was interested in CBS, too. I wonder how much of a premium Heartland is paying CBS for the privilege. Gotta think that Nexstar will get rid of one of their channels in the auction.

And speaking of which, isn't KRON 4 going to be auctioned off?

• Like 1

Or in the case of WSOC/WAXN, dump Meredith completely (for the FAB Life). Really surprised they have yet to launch a 4:00 newscast. I guess WSOC is happy with Dr. Phil at 4.

I'm surprised they haven't done so either, since their sister ABC stations WFTV and WSB air hour-long 4pm newscasts. Plus, they can either move Dr. Phil to WAXN or in WRAL/WRAZ's case, put the 4pm newscast on WAXN.

But I see WSOC/WAXN, just like WFTV/WRDQ, so that may not happen. I can only see WSOC kick out Dr. Phil to WAXN in favor of a new 4pm newscast, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon either.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they haven't done so either, since their sister ABC stations WFTV and WSB air hour-long 4pm newscasts. Plus, they can either move Dr. Phil to WAXN or in WRAL/WRAZ's case, put the 4pm newscast on WAXN.

But I see WSOC/WAXN, just like WFTV/WRDQ, so that may not happen. I can only see WSOC kick out Dr. Phil to WAXN in favor of a new 4pm newscast, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon either.

Don't you think there is a message that stations are sending to the syndication marketplace, basically meaning "Create unique programming that'll bring ratings to us or we'll make it on our own" in creating local news/programming? It appears the marketplace is running out of ideas. How could they be trying it again in a beaten horse genre. Meredith, Jeff Probst, Anderson, Queen Latifah, and now Tyra all have faltered or now faltering. This season's syndie slate is so slim (FABLife, CrazyTalk, Crime Watch Daily)

This could be the point where there's cord-cutting everywhere (sans netflix of course) Locals could invest in local productions, not just news or pay for segment talk shows. (And yes to Spectrum27 from other topic who said bring back game shows. When Steve Harvey basically revitalized 'THE FAMILY FEUD', that says something about where can the game genre go in the future.)

Examples can be found in Puerto Rico, powerhouses like Telemundo (a 2-hr daily variety show, and where the top rated show in the market is a weekly 2-hr comedy/variety show headlining by one of the market's popular comic/host) and WAPA, an indie station, where from 5am-7pm is totally LOCAL (news, variety, talk, games). Univision is dead last because as someone stated in another topic from here that it is 'a comedy of errors' done by management, local and abroad, meaning it is not catering to local (caribbean/american) tastes, as it was formerly Teleonce, rather it is basically a mexican station and you might as well take it off from the signals and clear it full on cable like stateside.

If anything - - - WSOC would move Phil to 3 when FABlife is cut, and then Have a 4 pm newscast. However, right now, I dont know if they have the staff for that, because they just lost quite a few anchors.

• Like 1

I have an idea for a new syndicated show... the UK game show import Fifteen to One from John M. Lewis and introduced by William G. Stewart on Channel 4! A half-hour syndicated show seen on weekdays.

Whoa! Not so fast. Those sort of shows cost one's life savings. Although, if I could put a game show into syndication, it would be, an call me crazy, 1000 Heartbeats, and it IS an adaptation of the UK counterpart. I know, they're going to "American-ize" it. But IF this was my show, I'd not only go to every measure possible to stop THAT from happening. Also, and call me even crazier, but this would be a daily SIXTY-Minute strip for syndication.

Unfortunately, that is really if money Wasn't an issue, and I don't exactly see game shows returning to syndication for another year or so. Even worse, we could see fewer syndie shows in due time and more news, especially on TMJ 4, where they will likely bring back the news at 3.