Out & About

TexasTVNews

Speaking of KIRO 7 reporter Chris Legeros who had been at KIRO since 1983 entered hospice care earlier in September to live out his final days battling pancreatic cancer. Sending Chris his, family, his friends and everyone at KIRO my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

http://www.seatacmedia.com/?s=Chris+Legeros

NBC's jockeying for an O&O in Boston? This could get interesting. From what I've gathered Mr. Ansin is not likely to sell anytime soon...

Perhaps then, the CBS duopoly of WBZ and WSBK could split into two, and 'BZ could be an NBC affiliate again, only this time, as an NBC O&O. IMO, it would Somewhat make sense as currently, John Pleisse is the VoiceOver for WBZ and WSBK. I guess then, WHDH would be a MNTV affiliate.

Wow, not sure where to go from here.

ICYMI, WFXR 27 launched its new in-house local news operation today. The morning newscast has been renamed WFXR News - Good Day Virginia and is now on the air from 5:00-9:00 a.m. weekday mornings. WFXR News - First at 10:00 has always been an hour-long on weeknights, but will soon be an hour on weekends too, starting October 3rd.

And it looks like WFXR 27 is using somewhat different graphics from other Nexstar stations and they've decided to use Extreme by Stephen Arnold Music. You can see a small portion of the 10:00pm news open under this story's video:

http://www.virginiafirst.com/news/local-news/wfxrs-commitment-to-local-news

Perhaps then, the CBS duopoly of WBZ and WSBK could split into two, and 'BZ could be an NBC affiliate again, only this time, as an NBC O&O. IMO, it would Somewhat make sense as currently, John Pleisse is the VoiceOver for WBZ and WSBK. I guess then, WHDH would be a MNTV affiliate.

Wow, not sure where to go from here.

CBS not selling here, especially to be downgraded to WSBK.

• Like 2

ICYMI, WFXR 27 launched its new in-house local news operation today. The morning newscast has been renamed WFXR News - Good Day Virginia and is now on the air from 5:00-9:00 a.m. weekday mornings. WFXR News - First at 10:00 has always been an hour-long on weeknights, but will soon be an hour on weekends too, starting October 3rd.

And it looks like WFXR 27 is using somewhat different graphics from other Nexstar stations and they've decided to use Extreme by Stephen Arnold Music. You can see a small portion of the 10:00pm news open under this story's video:

http://www.virginiafirst.com/news/local-news/wfxrs-commitment-to-local-news

The choice in colors for those graphics remind me a lot of the Scripps package.

Obviously it's not the same package but you can tell they were trying to base the colors of the package off of that one.

So, KFMB is once AGAIN looking for a morning meteorologist. Saw the job posting on their website. Currently, Kimi Evans does the AM weather, she joined the station in early May from XETV. She replaced Natasha Stenbock whom left on maternity leave and decided to stay home taking care of her twins. Not sure why they're looking to fill the AM weather position, but Evans has been out for several weeks now due to some voice/vocal cord problems.

• Like 1

Speaking of KIRO 7 reporter Chris Legeros who had been at KIRO since 1983 entered hospice care earlier in September to live out his final days battling pancreatic cancer. Sending Chris his, family, his friends and everyone at KIRO my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

http://www.seatacmedia.com/?s=Chris+Legeros

Wow! I was just in Seattle visiting and was looking at KIRO's website. I noticed Chris' name and remarked that he's been there "forever". Really sorry to hear about this! Sending thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. Thanks to Chris for 30+ years of solid reporting! We need more journalists as dedicated as him.

• Like 1

To be fair Natasha also got married and 3 boys came with the new husband...so she has her hands full for the foreseeable next 18 years.

Now Kimi being out and sick....

Say it ain't so!

She never really fit in, tbh. She seemed like the odd duck of the group. While there was somewhat good chemistry between her, Dan and Nichelle, something just seemed off.

On a side note, do you know what's up with KFMB's newsroom? Are they remodeling it or did they do something with the area with all the monitors?

It will be interesting to see how similar the efforts are. I'm i'm not mistaken, WHPM is essentially operated out of WGBC in Meridian, which could mean a total simulcast, or even something very much like WHLT has done with their parent station, WJTV in Jackson by inserting local content segments into a newscast fed by the parent station.

This also could explain why there's only an effort to produce a 9pm show as opposed to on at all of the other times for WGBC's .2 (NBC) and WMDN. The last time those stations had news was when WMDN ceased producing it over a decade ago, and a few years prior, they had taken over WGBC's as well by just simulcasting the news on both stations before settling on airing news on just WMDN.

It's a long overdue move that should be an alternative to WTOK for Meridian viewers and that gives both markets a 9pm newscast finally.

I found the new staff on WHPM's website and discovered through research that the newscast for the Meridian station and Hattiesburg station is actually not in-house but is probably going to be recorded. http://www.mygtn.tv/story/11414354/about-us

• Like 1

I found the new staff on WHPM's website and discovered through research that the newscast for the Meridian station and Hattiesburg station is actually not in-house but is probably going to be recorded. http://www.mygtn.tv/story/11414354/about-us

Eeeeek if that's the case Freddie, boy they sure didn't go out of their way to offer anything truly local and compelling for the Meridian market as the newspaper article that promoted the new newscast mostly implied. If you don't have memorable, local faces out in the market every day, does a bond with viewers really happen? Worst/cheapest case I figured they would record or do inserts for the Hattiesburg newscast and possibly their other small markets, and that Meridian would have a decent setup with some kind of promotable commitment to the viewer in place. This is disappointing that the effort seems so micky-mousy and half-ass. It's exactly the reason why nobody has been competitive, by any measure, in the past. Give it a drop of time and they'll be scratching their heads mulling over why ratings are so dismal..... only to rinse and repeat the cycle in the few years.

• Like 1

Eeeeek if that's the case Freddie, boy they sure didn't go out of their way to offer anything truly local and compelling for the Meridian market as the newspaper article that promoted the new newscast mostly implied. If you don't have memorable, local faces out in the market every day, does a bond with viewers really happen? Worst/cheapest case I figured they would record or do inserts for the Hattiesburg newscast and possibly their other small markets, and that Meridian would have a decent setup with some kind of promotable commitment to the viewer in place. This is disappointing that the effort seems so micky-mousy and half-ass. It's exactly the reason why nobody has been competitive, by any measure, in the past. Give it a drop of time and they'll be scratching their heads mulling over why ratings are so dismal..... only to rinse and repeat the cycle in the few years.

Considering they have to go up against 10-ton gorillas in WDAM and WTOK, if they make a weak first impression they will get absolutely nowhere and get virtually no ratings.

• Like 1

To expand further on the above post:

Kristen Sze replaces Cheryl Jennings at 5 pm; Eric Thomas will solo anchor weekend nights. Natasha Zouves and Reggie Aqui will be the New morning anchors.

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2015/10/415-media-exclu-anchor-shuffle-at-kgo.html?m=1

I saw this coming. Natasha subbed for Ama last week, so I knew they were going to find her a spot. Makes sense to promote Sze since she didn't get the top job when Carolyn left for WNBC. Reggie was anchoring evenings in Portland, so I figured he was going to get an anchor position. I wonder who will anchor at 11am? Also, what happens to the person Eric is replacing on weekend (is it Alan?)?

I saw this coming. Natasha subbed for Ama last week, so I knew they were going to find her a spot. Makes sense to promote Sze since she didn't get the top job when Carolyn left for WNBC. Reggie was anchoring evenings in Portland, so I figured he was going to get an anchor position. I wonder who will anchor at 11am? Also, what happens to the person Eric is replacing on weekend (is it Alan?)?

Kristen will continue to anchor at 11am in addition to 5pm. I can see either Natasha or Reggie co-anchoring with Kristen at 11am. No clue what will happen with Alan. Oh and minor correction Carolyn joined KNBC not WNBC.

• Like 1

Musical chairs in the anchor positions at WVEC starting on September 28. VARTV is reporting that Lucy Bustamante replaces Vanessa Coria (who was stepping aside from the anchor desk to do evening reports) on Daybreak and the noon edition of 13 News Now; Regina Mobley and Janet Roach will anchor at 4:00; Mobley will still anchor with David Alan at 5:00, 6:00 and 11:00 while Alan anchors the 5:30 newscast with Roach.

And now it looks like Vanessa Coria is on her way out in about two weeks from now per VARTV

[MEDIA=twitter]651529298906619904[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

WIS Chief Meteorologist John Farley's contract wasn't renewed, yesterday was his last day. They chose a really bad time to do this considering all of the floods they've had recently.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/10/8/raycom-cans-chief-met-in-middle-of-massive-storm

An awkward situation in an unnamed Fox O&Os newsroom

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/10/6/and-this-is-your-news-director

• Like 3

And now it looks like Vanessa Coria is on her way out in about two weeks from now per VARTV

[MEDIA=twitter]651529298906619904[/MEDIA]

And it's apparently it's over money... She responded to a fan in the Facebook page about not only being demoted from anchor to night side reporter, but also taking a paycut as well.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/10/13/11-alives-demarco-morgan-becomes-cbs-news-correspondent/

Unless they pair her with Brenda Wood, I can't see Stephany Fisher at 11 Alive (if the rumors are indeed true, she's still Fox 5-bound)

Demarco Morgan leaving WXIA for CBS News. Is it even official that Stephany going over to FOX 5 or speculation? Stephany team up with Cynne at 5 and do 11pm Edge News if she does go over to WAGA, but her Brenda teaming up on WXIA would be good move for them, but not probably going to happen. WXIA losing too many people.

• Like 2

Demarco Morgan leaving WXIA for CBS News. Is it even official that Stephany going over to FOX 5 or speculation? Stephany team up with Cynne at 5 and do 11pm Edge News if she does go over to WAGA, but her Brenda teaming up on WXIA would be good move for them, but not probably going to happen. WXIA losing too many people.

As for Tom Haynes, he could relinquish the 5:00 and still do News Edge with Stephany (when she joins, but nothing is made official without Mike McClain's declaration).

Meanwhile, over at "Station X"...http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/wsb-tv-names-misti-turnbull-news-director/nn2SJ/