Out & About

TexasTVNews

Still surprised that KSWB hasn't gotten a chopper from ACA/Welk. Makes perfect sense, but I guess no money with all of the live trucks they are purchasing. Maybe KNSD would get one since they are moving to Kearny Mesa close to Montgomery Field.

Still surprised that KSWB hasn't gotten a chopper from ACA/Welk. Makes perfect sense, but I guess no money with all of the live trucks they are purchasing. Maybe KNSD would get one since they are moving to Kearny Mesa close to Montgomery Field.

Why do they need more [new] live trucks? It's not like they have a big staff of reporters anyway. When Corsini took over at GM, I thought that he would give them a chopper. Maybe down the line?? but they would really have Southern California covered if KSWB had its own bird...

Re. KNSD: Several weeks ago, I stumbled across one of the social media pages of a photog at 7, and he had posted a pic of the former newschopper 7/39. Reminiscing about the good ol' days, I suppose, but no indication that they would be getting their own chopper back.

Do you know anything about the helicopter sharing agreement? like for example, can a station get out of the agreement at any time or do they have to give an X-Amount of time notice, or are they bound by to stay for a certain amount of time (i.e. one year, two years, six months, etc.)?

Same goes with DISH and TEGNA......

http://static.11alive.com/dish/ (pretty much the same for all of their other stations)

They make it sound like they've entered into some special partnership (with the banner reading....ATTENTION DISH CUSTOMERS....CLICK HERE FOR A SPECIAL MESSAGE!)

But it's another pissing match. I give Media General props for at least providing a few weeks' notice rather than THREE DAYS.....

Why do they need more [new] live trucks? It's not like they have a big staff of reporters anyway. When Corsini took over at GM, I thought that he would give them a chopper. Maybe down the line?? but they would really have Southern California covered if KSWB had its own bird...

Re. KNSD: Several weeks ago, I stumbled across one of the social media pages of a photog at 7, and he had posted a pic of the former newschopper 7/39. Reminiscing about the good ol' days, I suppose, but no indication that they would be getting their own chopper back.

Do you know anything about the helicopter sharing agreement? like for example, can a station get out of the agreement at any time or do they have to give an X-Amount of time notice, or are they bound by to stay for a certain amount of time (i.e. one year, two years, six months, etc.)?

Yeah they already have 6 or so live trucks, plus the lil' Subaru car, so it's a waste of money to get more especially since they are using Dejero most of the time.

I don't know much about the helicopter sharing agreement, wish I knew more though. I would think they are in a contract, but I'm not positively sure on that. All of the SD stations are using 8's feed, right? If I were to guess any station that would drop the feed, it would probably be KUSI since they can't afford a new set and are spending money left and right fixing news trucks and buying new ones. Unrelated, but I still remember from 5 years ago when they showed a picture on the screen of their "SkyEye" chopper. It was a random picture of some random white Bell 206 helicopter with the works KUSI SkyEye Chopper put on the side in like Microsoft Paint or something lol. Just had to mention that.

Yeah they already have 6 or so live trucks, plus the lil' Subaru car, so it's a waste of money to get more especially since they are using Dejero most of the time.

I don't know much about the helicopter sharing agreement, wish I knew more though. I would think they are in a contract, but I'm not positively sure on that. All of the SD stations are using 8's feed, right? If I were to guess any station that would drop the feed, it would probably be KUSI since they can't afford a new set and are spending money left and right fixing news trucks and buying new ones. Unrelated, but I still remember from 5 years ago when they showed a picture on the screen of their "SkyEye" chopper. It was a random picture of some random white Bell 206 helicopter with the works KUSI SkyEye Chopper put on the side in like Microsoft Paint or something lol. Just had to mention that.

I see. I don't know what KNSD's budgetary situation will be once they move into their new building. They did drop a nice chunk of change for the building itself ($9-10 million), not including the renovations and new equipment needed. So who knows if they'll be able to afford to get their own chopper back.

For old time's sake, here's NewsChopper 7/39...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153202399624484

Re: KUSI. They can afford to get a new set, they just choose not to. Hasn't that been McKinnon's M.O.? Look how long it took them to get new computers and equipment... The only reason that they're investing in vehicles is because they had no choice. Those mid 90s Astros vans just couldn't hold on any longer. McKinnon must be making pretty good money if he's getting constant offers to sell the station. Also can't forget that nice chunk of change that he got a few years ago when they sold off their Texas cluster.

TTN contracts with National for X many flight hours, pilot, reporter and maintenance.

Total Traffic Network (TTN) provides traffic reports and news video to KFMB in exchange for avails that TTN sells on their own for whatever they can get. The rest of that part of the contract is confidental.

KFMB then makes the video during the agreed upon flight hours available to the subscribers. It may be cash, trade, exchanges etc. The terms of those contracts are also confidential and can be based on different formulas.

You pretty much get video only...no sound. KFMB decides when to launch when it's breaking news. It fly's pretty much along the lines of the KFMB daytime newscast. Subscribers have very little input on deployment.

It's a crappy bird, and the stations really only get "barely acceptable" coverage due to the limitations of the platform and pilots with low hours in media craft and they only make about $15 per hour. There are 2 shifts and a little office/hanger at Gillespie field. There is a broadcast audio line for traffic reports when the bird is grounded.

Chopper 8 is missing one very important piece of news gathering equipment that every other real ENG copter usually has.....

No police/fire scanner.

jeez!

The KTLA bird has 2 of them!

Why doesn't Cox, Graham, or even Raycom buy KUSI? Also, KNSD seems to be NBCUniversal's red headed stepchild despite being close to KNBC (since San Diego is geographically LA's neighbor).

Because Dan McKinnon has not been offered enough money. He know who to call if he want's to sell.

KNSD could care less if KNBC payed attention to them. KNBC is one big pain in the ass. When the news crews from KNBC come to town they clog the toilets at the station. They always want video and free tickets to the zoo and Seaworld. If KNSD calls and ask for any favors they say "we are too busy right now Kim Kardashian just sat on her baby".

KNSD don't need anything from KNBC. Way back when it was KCST-39 KNBC was still one giant pain in the ass to old channel 39. Borrowing a sat truck is like pulling teeth as is just about any assistance in resources.

TTN contracts with National for X many flight hours, pilot, reporter and maintenance.

Total Traffic Network (TTN) provides traffic reports and news video to KFMB in exchange for avails that TTN sells on their own for whatever they can get. The rest of that part of the contract is confidental.

KFMB then makes the video during the agreed upon flight hours available to the subscribers. It may be cash, trade, exchanges etc. The terms of those contracts are also confidential and can be based on different formulas.

You pretty much get video only...no sound. KFMB decides when to launch when it's breaking news. It fly's pretty much along the lines of the KFMB daytime newscast. Subscribers have very little input on deployment.

It's a crappy bird, and the stations really only get "barely acceptable" coverage due to the limitations of the platform and pilots with low hours in media craft and they only make about $15 per hour. There are 2 shifts and a little office/hanger at Gillespie field. There is a broadcast audio line for traffic reports when the bird is grounded.

Chopper 8 is missing one very important piece of news gathering equipment that every other real ENG copter usually has.....

No police/fire scanner.

jeez!

The KTLA bird has 2 of them!

I see. Thanks for the info. So in reality KFMB gets a nice return for minimum investment. Which would explain why they haven't done anything to force TTN or National to remedy the constant issues plaguing Chopper 8. I thought the chopper had a scanner. So with any breaking news or something pertinent coming in over the scanner, they have to defer to the assignment desk for info?

Because Dan McKinnon has not been offered enough money. He know who to call if he want's to sell.

KNSD could care less if KNBC payed attention to them. KNBC is one big pain in the ass. When the news crews from KNBC come to town they clog the toilets at the station. They always want video and free tickets to the zoo and Seaworld. If KNSD calls and ask for any favors they say "we are too busy right now Kim Kardashian just sat on her baby".

KNSD don't need anything from KNBC. Way back when it was KCST-39 KNBC was still one giant pain in the ass to old channel 39. Borrowing a sat truck is like pulling teeth as is just about any assistance in resources.

Didn't KFMB's owners try several years ago to buy KUSI? Who would you see being a suitor for them? I'm still a bit surprised that Elizabeth Kimmel is still holding on to 8 with all these M&A's going on in the industry.

Well, I guess KNSD won't have any more plugged toilets when they get their new building... I'm surprised that Staab/NBC haven't forced more of a cooperation/synergy betweens at the O&O's, it sure would save them some travel expenses if they relied more on each other. To each their own, I suppose. Then again, i'm not sure that any other NBC O&O coming in town would want to use KNSD's crappy equipment. Feel bad for the folks at KNSD.

Is WNBC a pain in the ass to WCAU and WVIT in a similar or even the same way?
Well, I guess KNSD won't have any more plugged toilets when they get their new building... I'm surprised that Staab/NBC haven't forced more of a cooperation/synergy betweens at the O&O's, it sure would save them some travel expenses if they relied more on each other. To each their own, I suppose. Then again, i'm not sure that any other NBC O&O coming in town would want to use KNSD's crappy equipment. Feel bad for the folks at KNSD.
I feel sorry for them too. At least KOVR and KPIX have better synergy with each other than KNBC and KNSD do. And by the way, why doesn't NBC renovate KNSD's equipment and recycle their old equipment? Or will that come with KNSD's movement?

I wonder why Tegna didn't acquire KUSI and KTXD?

It doesn't really make sense for a company to own a standalone independent (who lags in revenue behind the top 4) unless it's part of duopoly.

It doesn't really make sense for a company to own a standalone independent (who lags in revenue behind the top 4) unless it's part of duopoly.

KTXD would've been a part of a duopoly if they hadn't been exempted, except, why were KTXD and KCEB exempted?

Also, I was looking at WSFL's website, and it seems that NewsFix is expanding to SFL.

http://sflcw.com/2015/09/22/news-fix-starting-monday-10p/

Cynitha Demos at CBS4 in Miami gave her 2 weeks notice....

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/9/29/another-one-out-the-door-in-miami

Jasmine Huda out at KMOV 4 in STL

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/9/29/passed-over-in-st-louis

Seems to me like they're both leaving for the same reason. They both have been troopers and played along, but both were passed over (in Cynthia's case twice) for the top job. They could have easily given Cynthia noon and 6pm with Elliot (he's a bore to watch). Good luck to both of them!

• Like 1

Cynitha Demos at CBS4 in Miami gave her 2 weeks notice....

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/9/29/another-one-out-the-door-in-miami

Had a feeling this would happen. After being denied the top job, AGAIN, she knew she didn't like what management did there and just couldn't take it anymore. The result... resignation. If you ask me, if WFOR 4 really did the right thing, then they would've had Cynthia and Rick at 5 and 11pm. Cynthia was there since 2007, longer than both Lauren Pastrana (2012) and Rudabeh Shahbazi (August 2015) and even Rick Folbaum (2014). But I now I know why they have such exodus at the station, when it comes to talent.

CBS 4 News... Where The News is Rated Last.

• Like 1

I see. Thanks for the info. So in reality KFMB gets a nice return for minimum investment. Which would explain why they haven't done anything to force TTN or National to remedy the constant issues plaguing Chopper 8. I thought the chopper had a scanner. So with any breaking news or something pertinent coming in over the scanner, they have to defer to the assignment desk for info?

Channel 8 pretty much found a way to get the expensive chopper wars under control They get a promotional edge and that's about it. There is no longer any competition nor is there masssive spending. In the old days the helo was for getting that first video back from the rural areas. Sky 10 used to find lost kids in the Laguna Mtns, Newschopper 39 found kids lost in the desert. The pilots were Vietnam trained and were all kinda crazy. It was expensive, but you only flew for the good stuff, not the crap they fly on now.

Will FOX 5 get a chopper???

If they can get a ton of money or a sponsor to fund an AirENG operation it could happen.

Bring in an A-star, a hot chopper chick, and fly more hours than Chopper 8. Set the tone for some real chopper wars by out-flying KFMB to every stupid story. Do some serious promotion...land at schools, churches and go catch El Chapo. Put floats on the damm thing and go rescue whales. If you were 1000% serious about it, you could send the Chopper 8 and KFMB into a crazy auto-rotation.

Didn't KFMB's owners try several years ago to buy KUSI? Who would you see being a suitor for them? I'm still a bit surprised that Elizabeth Kimmel is still holding on to 8 with all these M&A's going on in the industry.

M&A's may be great for publicly held companies, but private held TV stations don't need to react to those things because they are not driven on the daily stock price of the company. Kimmel and Mc Kinnon are under no obligation to sell...nor in any rush from what we all know.

I don't know a thing about a KUSI / KFMB deal in the past since it was never on my radar.

I don't see KUSI selling anytime soon. San Diego likes it's local flavors...

KFMB and KUSI ARE Sooooo San Diego. FOX 5 has not earned "Local" status by any means yet.

Well, I guess KNSD won't have any more plugged toilets when they get their new building...

Things won't change because big egos have big union turds.

I'm surprised that Staab/NBC haven't forced more of a cooperation/synergy betweens at the O&O's, it sure would save them some travel expenses if they relied more on each other. To each their own, I suppose. Then again, i'm not sure that any other NBC O&O coming in town would want to use KNSD's crappy equipment. Feel bad for the folks at KNSD.

The best synergys just happen, you can't force them. KNSD will continue to kiss LA's ass just because some KNSD folks would like jobs at KNBC.

Wanna know who was the all-time worst NBC station in the entire network to deal with?????

KRON

I swear the network news division had a going away party for KRON at Los Arcos restaurant in Burbank....but they forgot to invite anyone from KRON.

Sorry...

I completely messed up the quotes so it's hard to tell what I wrote.

I will learn one of these days..

• Like 1

Had a feeling this would happen. After being denied the top job, AGAIN, she knew she didn't like what management did there and just couldn't take it anymore. The result... resignation. If you ask me, if WFOR 4 really did the right thing, then they would've had Cynthia and Rick at 5 and 11pm. Cynthia was there since 2007, longer than both Lauren Pastrana (2012) and Rudabeh Shahbazi (August 2015) and even Rick Folbaum (2014). But I now I know why they have such exodus at the station, when it comes to talent.

CBS 4 News... Where The News is Rated Last.

Seniority has nothing to weather someone gets a main anchor spot or not. Lots of stations bring in talent from elsewhere to be main anchors while overlooking people who have been with said station for years longer. A couple of examples in Seattle NBC station KING hired Amanda Grace to co-anchor the 4 & 9 pm newscasts instead of promoting within. WNBC in NYC hired Sibila Vargas to be main anchor rather then keeping Shiba Russell or promoting Pat Battle to that spot.

• Like 1

Seniority has nothing to weather someone gets a main anchor spot or not. Lots of stations bring in talent from elsewhere to be main anchors while overlooking people who have been with said station for years longer. A couple of examples in Seattle NBC station KING hired Amanda Grace to co-anchor the 4 & 9 pm newscasts instead of promoting within. WNBC in NYC hired Sibila Vargas to be main anchor rather then keeping Shiba Russell or promoting Pat Battle to that spot.

This is true. But in Cynthia's case, she was used as the main gap filler until Irika was brought in after Shannon Hori left. I get bringing someone else in for the top job, but if you're going to use someone in that role (gap filler) for an extended period of time who's been a team player at the station, some type of a lesser promotion would have been a nice consolation (like having her co-anchor with Elliot at Noon and 6pm, or giving her mornings with the latest moves). WNBC situation is different because Shiba wasn't doing it at 11pm for the station, hence why they brought someone else in. She was not used as gap filler, but rather was demoted (or if you believe the other side of the story, she chose to switch up her hours because of family). Also, as much as I like Pat Battle, no way in hell she would ever get the top job at WNBC nor was she ever considered.

Pretty sure KUSI is at or near the top of billing for San Diego TV stations. They have a ton more time for sale, and they get to keep all the local and national billing. They are usually booked solid. The KUSI financials are private and closely held.

Just because they don't re-invest in a new set or an "Uber5100" ride sharing breaking news tracker does not mean they are not making tons of money.