Out & About

TexasTVNews

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/359fa0fe9fda5312b45f366a6fb86cac-3430.html

http://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/tv/article28032814.html

This week, yet another DFW market veteran decided to call it a day as Bud Gillett leaves the news reporter beat after more than 3 decades in north Texas TV. From 2001 to the present, Gillett reported for KTVT; prior to that he was with KDFW. His career previously brought him to Detroit, Indianapolis, and St. Louis.

This KTVT Facebook post has a video of clips from some of his work over the years in DFW:

https://m.facebook.com/CBSDFW?_rdr#!/story.php?story_fbid=1047827108573758&id=108571612499317

John Coleman is back on KUSI!!!

Doing commercials for Solar Alliance of America,,,a local solar energy company.

I guess after Cheeta's shut down he got bored.

I've seen that commercial a few times on KNSD. He only says about 4-5 words in the whole thing. Guess they're trying to capitalize on his local celebrity status to sell a few more solar panels.

Not confirmed yet but a post on DCRTV mentions that Tom Kierein will be moving to weekend mornings at WRC and Chuck Bell will be taking over Tom's position as morning/11am meteorologist. Not sure what's going on over there or if this is even Tom's choice, but if not, that's gotta be an insult to him... after all those years working in the morning..

WAGA-TV will expand its late news by 30 minutes, going all the way to midnight.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/08/03/fox-5-expanding-news-to-midnight/

This would be a first for an 11pm newscast, but ABC affiliates WEAR and WISN (both in Central Time) have done this for years. If any other station dared to compete like this, it would have to be WSB unless ABC is dead set on airing Jimmy Kimmel in pattern....

This would be a first for an 11pm newscast, but ABC affiliates WEAR and WISN (both in Central Time) have done this for years. If any other station dared to compete like this, it would have to be WSB unless ABC is dead set on airing Jimmy Kimmel in pattern....

WOIO used to air a one-hour 11PM newscast on Saturdays and Sundays but scaled it back due to the abysmal ratings.

Don't most of the ABC O&Os now air an hour long late news on weekends?

KFSN is the only one that doesn't do so.

I see WSB and WFTV and in reality, any other ABC affiliates because ABC doesn't have a strict requirement to air JKL, I think, unlike CBS and NBC, which do have strict requirements to air their late night programming on both networks.

Don't most of the ABC O&Os now air an hour long late news on weekends?

That seems strange....but since they don't have a network show to go to, the time is available.

I think ABC has finally cemented themselves in the late-show game so any affiliate wishing to push aside Kimmel is either going to encounter a brick wall or very strong resistance from ABC that could result in disaffiliation.

It makes me wonder how the 10pm stations with hour-long shows have before ABC forces them to comply.

I see it being virtually impossible with NBC, and with CBS unless the new Late Show absolutely bombs and the affiliates start revolting.....

Sorry for bringing up an old subject, but this morning a KPNX live van drove past me on the freeway, in need of new wraparounds (the truck still had the mention of "azcentral.com" and the pre-2011 Gannett "Globe-G" logo). I know re-wrapping their vans isn't a top priority, even though Gannett/Tegna has been known for cost cutting these past few years.

I also saw a KPHO live truck going the other direction on the freeway. I'm not sure how they're going to consolidate the KPHO and KTVK logos on their fleet, since they're somewhat trying to keep the stations' images separate for the time being.

Sorry for bringing up an old subject, but this morning a KPNX live van drove past me on the freeway, in need of new wraparounds (the truck still had the mention of "azcentral.com" and the pre-2011 Gannett "Globe-G" logo). I know re-wrapping their vans isn't a top priority, even though Gannett/Tegna has been known for cost cutting these past few years.

I also saw a KPHO live truck going the other direction on the freeway. I'm not sure how they're going to consolidate the KPHO and KTVK logos on their fleet, since they're somewhat trying to keep the stations' images separate for the time being.

Just split them down the middle...

One side KPHO, the other side KTVK. Hubcaps on one side...no hubcaps on the other.

That will confuse the hell out of the reporters.

It worked for KCAL/KCBS.

WAGA-TV will expand its late news by 30 minutes, going all the way to midnight.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/08/03/fox-5-expanding-news-to-midnight/

The amazing thing is, WJW is tied with WXIN for the most news output of any standalone station in the US (65 1/2 hours!!!) but has no 11pm newscast whatsoever.

KWTX has hired a new 10pm anchor, Tara Mergener who worked as a freelance correspondent for CBS, CNN and Hearst Television in Washington will join Gordon, Rusty, and Ed on the anchor desk at Ten. Julie Shelton-Hays

who currently anchored the 5:00 & 6:00PM newscasts on KWTX stepped down from the late news in June to have more time with her family.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/KWTX-Announces-New-10-PM-Co-Anchor-320656072.html

And this is from our fiends at The Changing Newscasts Blog, KDBC-TV will be adding more news to its 5:30 & 10PM Newscasts. The El Paso CBS Affiliate will be adding Morning (5-7am) and Midday News starting August 17th.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2015/08/04/kdbc-debut-morning-noon-news/

KTUL has promoted weekend meteorologist Mike Collier to Chief Meteorologist, replacing Jennifer Zeppelin, the first female Chief Meteorologist in Oklahoma, who left the station on Friday for Omaha, Nebraska. Collier has been with Channel 8 for 14 years.

http://www.ktul.com/story/29744263/new-meteorologist-announced-at-ktul

Scott Light (who got the pink slip at WGCL shortly after he won an Emmy) is taking his talents to Columbus...Ohio: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/scott-light-to-join-columbus-cbs-affiliate/153217

As for WAGA expanding their late news to midnight? I think this is part of their plan to snag Stephany Fisher; last year at this time, Fox 5 debuted their new news set while David Chandley was in his six-month hiatus.

Katrina's 10th anniversary is later this month and the Big Four NOLA stations plan to do something (all times Central).

* WWL - an hour long special at 7pm August 20, "Katrina: 10 Days, 10 Years", hosted by Mike Hoss and Karen Swenson. Other programming will air at 6:30 pm August 24-28. Recently retired anchor Dennis Woltering will also do stories for the station August 24-28. The same week, the morning show will go live from a different location during the 8 am hour. The station's Web page has a page dedicated to the storm's anniversary.

* WDSU - They began their anniversary coverage August 3, dubbed "Katrina: 10 Years Forward." A number of two-to-three minute stories are airing during the 5 and 6 pm newscasts. Starting August 24, there will be half-hour specials airing each night at 6:30 pm. A one-hour special will air August 29, "Chronicle: Children of Katrina." The station's Web page does have a page dedicated to the anniversary.

* WVUE - The station actually started coverage of the anniversary in the spring, dubbed "Life Beyond Katrina." Two specials are planned: "Life Beyond Katrina: The Big Comeback", at 10:35 pm August 27. It will be hosted by sports director Juan Kincaid and will show how sports have aided in the area's recovery. On August 28, "Life Beyond Katrina: Stories Of Strength" airs a 6 pm is about the area's recovery in general. It's Web page also has a page dedicated to the anniversary.

* WGNO - Newscast coverage begins August 24. Two specials are planned: "Katrina: Looking Forward" at 10 pm August 28, hosted by Susan Roesgen and Curt Sprang. It will look at where things stand now and where the area is headed in the future. "Katrina Remembered" will air at 6 pm and 10 pm August 29th. It's supposed to highlight the many events across the region that mark the anniversary. Its Web page has no section dedicated to the recovery.

Katrina's 10th anniversary is later this month and the Big Four NOLA stations plan to do something (all times Central).

* WWL - an hour long special at 7pm August 20, "Katrina: 10 Days, 10 Years", hosted by Mike Hoss and Karen Swenson. Other programming will air at 6:30 pm August 24-28. Recently retired anchor Dennis Woltering will also do stories for the station August 24-28. The same week, the morning show will go live from a different location during the 8 am hour. The station's Web page has a page dedicated to the storm's anniversary.

* WDSU - They began their anniversary coverage August 3, dubbed "Katrina: 10 Years Forward." A number of two-to-three minute stories are airing during the 5 and 6 pm newscasts. Starting August 24, there will be half-hour specials airing each night at 6:30 pm. A one-hour special will air August 29, "Chronicle: Children of Katrina." The station's Web page does have a page dedicated to the anniversary.

* WVUE - The station actually started coverage of the anniversary in the spring, dubbed "Life Beyond Katrina." Two specials are planned: "Life Beyond Katrina: The Big Comeback", at 10:35 pm August 27. It will be hosted by sports director Juan Kincaid and will show how sports have aided in the area's recovery. On August 28, "Life Beyond Katrina: Stories Of Strength" airs a 6 pm is about the area's recovery in general. It's Web page also has a page dedicated to the anniversary.

* WGNO - Newscast coverage begins August 24. Two specials are planned: "Katrina: Looking Forward" at 10 pm August 28, hosted by Susan Roesgen and Curt Sprang. It will look at where things stand now and where the area is headed in the future. "Katrina Remembered" will air at 6 pm and 10 pm August 29th. It's supposed to highlight the many events across the region that mark the anniversary. Its Web page has no section dedicated to the recovery.

I'm interested to see what WLOX in Biloxi has in store. They produced two award winning documentaries. One a couple of months after the storm (which I bought the DVD on Amazon when I lived in Biloxi in 2010) and one a year after it. As we all know WLOX is a Market #160 station that looks and acts better than some of their larger New Orleans and Mobile counterparts.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic