Out & About

TexasTVNews

Corrie Harding, news director at WCNC, is leaving for a job at NBC News in New York. More from Mark Washburn: http://charlottemediascene.blogspot.com/2014/01/wcnc-news-director-leaving-for-nbc-job.html

Their GM left at the end of the year, I wonder if that's related to this? (I know the article said that it wasn't due to new owner, but who knows). Could be some changes there in the future.

Veteran Austin news anchor work worked at ABC 24 KVUE and currently at CBS 42 KEYE is calling it quits at the end of May. Judy Maggio who worked in Austin TV for over 30 years has

announced that she will be retiring. We wish Judy the best wishes on her retirement.

http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/keye-tvs-judy-maggio-retire-15941.shtml

Of course, it's WSYX. Just a week after they came up with

Hey don't be knockin' Channel 6. Kendrick was a little stiff at first, but now he's eased into his role. You can tell he's loose and enjoys being there. Kendrick was a great hire. IMO. I didn't think so at first, but he grows on you. Kelly and Adam what's his name are also great hires. They actually have real meteorologists and a real weather staff there now.

By the way, I was at the Chipotle in Grandview one evening. Kendrick was sitting at one of the window seats eating dinner with his laptop. I didn't want to bother him, but I was tempted to say something nice about the work he does.

It's happening again...! WTHR is expanding their morning news to 4am. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wthr-expands-morning-newscast_b114401

I remember when KSHB attempted this. It failed miserably. I can't imagine that WTHR's morning crew will be too happy about this.

Maybe not, but they already have the resources so why not be Indy's 24-hour news channel (at least in the off-hours)? Radio isn't there anymore and mid-market newspapers are a shell of their former selves, so why not play to your strengths? Better to have 'round the clock news than Jerry Springer and Rikki Lake as filler, IMO.

In fact, I wonder why more stations don't use one of their subchannels and just run news 24/7. All you have to do is run it on a loop, with live weather maybe.

Never in a million years did I think this would happen, but:

Fargo’s KVRR Transitions to HD

By Merrill Knox on February 7, 2014 11:30 AM

kvrr-set.jpg

Fargo Fox affiliate KVRR made the transition to high definition this week, the Forum News Service reports:

In Fargo, ABC affiliate WDAY was the first station to switch to HD, according to the Forum News Service. KVLY-KXJB also broadcast in HD.

The switch required purchasing high-definition gear, a studio redesign and a lot of work, said Kathy Lau, general manager of KVRR and chief operating officer of Red River Broadcast and Red Rock Radio. “From a management point of view, it’s been almost like building a station from the ground up,” Lau said. “It’s been no simple task, but we’re very excited. We’re looking to give our viewers the best product possible.”

Now, remember, this station did not have a website until 2011. And 50 cents bets that they are still using the 1998 Fox Affiliate Theme music.

KGWN and KCWY have new Gray websites. KGNS still does not. I feel that KGNS is going to rebrand as soon as the ABC subchannel launches; at that point, a new site will come out.

EDIT: I could be right about KGNS. Look under "Raw Registrar Data".

Now, remember, KVRR did not have a website until 2011. And 50 cents bets that they are still using the 1998 Fox Affiliate Theme music.

Their sister KDLT has also gone HD.

Hey don't be knockin' Channel 6. Kendrick was a little stiff at first, but now he's eased into his role. You can tell he's loose and enjoys being there. Kendrick was a great hire. IMO. I didn't think so at first, but he grows on you. Kelly and Adam what's his name are also great hires. They actually have real meteorologists and a real weather staff there now.

By the way, I was at the Chipotle in Grandview one evening. Kendrick was sitting at one of the window seats eating dinner with his laptop. I didn't want to bother him, but I was tempted to say something nice about the work he does.

You should of talked with him, but from his background of working at WFTS, KUSA he does a good job, but he still seems to be uptight and stiff. Bill Kelly he ok not a fan of his and I do like the re-hiring of Adam Slinger who worked there and moved to Phoenix and moved back. Some of these new hires there ok, but there nothing but for window dressing.

Now, remember, this station did not have a website until 2011. And 50 cents bets that they are still using the 1998 Fox Affiliate Theme music.

And WCNC in Charlotte STILL doesn't have HD.

They may have a good relationship with NBC, but their history is tumultuous. They were owned by Ted Turner back in the 70's; he then sold them to Group W, who promptly ran the station into the ground. Eventually other guys came, rescued the station and got it back off life support. Unfortunately, they've been saddled with owners who just don't know what to do with them; and with the fact that Gannett has many other, more successful stations in that region, means that WCNC keeps getting screwed over.

They may have a good relationship with NBC, but their history is tumultuous. They were owned by Ted Turner back in the 70's; he then sold them to Group W, who promptly ran the station into the ground. Eventually other guys came, rescued the station and got it back off life support. Unfortunately, they've been saddled with owners who just don't know what to do with them; and with the fact that Gannett has many other, more successful stations in that region, means that WCNC keeps getting screwed over.

Their contract with NBC running til like 2021 and the NBC News Channel headquarters might have been the only two things keeping WCCB from stealing NBC away from them last year when Fox went to WJZY.

BREAKING NEWS: After 32 years at KDFW FOX 4, Meteorologist Ron Jackson is officially retiring. Jackson made the announcement on tonight's FOX 4 News at 9. On behalf myself and all of us at TVNT, we want to wish Ron Jackson all the best wishes in his retirement, Ron you irreplaceable and you are a hall of famer in my book. We wish all the best in retirement.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/24676965/fox-4s-ron-jackson-announces-retirement

So, this will happen this week (Feb. 10-14) at WRAL in Raleigh...

http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/asset_gallery/13377255/

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/74017/wral-raleigh-to-go-live-with-google-glass

WRAL Raleigh, N.C. (DMA 24), this week will give viewers a live, behind-the-scenes glimpse of what goes into putting its morning newscast on air with the help of Google Glass.

Beginning today and continuing each day through Friday, a different person associated with the newscast will wear the glasses between 6:30 and 7 a.m.

First up is Bill Leslie, one of the station’s morning anchors, who will wear the Google Glass in the studio so viewers can see what he sees as he delivers the newscast. Throughout the rest of the week other people working on the newscast, including news producer Kianey Carter, studio crew chief Stuart Todd and traffic anchor Brian Shrader, will each wear the glasses.

Robin Swoboda is leaving Cleveland television......yet again!

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/2014/02/11/robin-swoboda-to-leave-wkyc-tv/5401773/

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2014/02/robin_swoboda_leaving_channel_3.html

I've lost track on how many times she has "left" Cleveland television...

She first left her primary anchor gig at WJW in 1991 to follow her husband (former Browns player Bryan Wagner) to New England when the Browns cut him and he signed with the Patriots.

She returned to Cleveland and WJW in 1996 to re-assume her old job anchoring the 6pm news.

She left WJW in 1998 to take a job at WEWS, in their last incarnation of "The Morning Exchange". When it was cancelled in 1999, she became the 11pm anchor alongside WEWS veteran Ted Henry.

The first departure to "spend time with her family" came in 2000, when she left WEWS. After spending a couple years as a radio show host for a Christian station leaving in 2005, she returned to WJW for a THIRD time in 2007. This time, she had her own talk show called "That's Life" and later "The Robin Swoboda Show".

She left WJW in 2011 after management wanted to reformat her show into a paid segment show....which is now "New Day Cleveland"....and WKYC hired her soon after to anchor their 7pm show. It is said that in order to be able to afford her salary, several longtime staffers either were offered lower salaries and/or shown the door.

I can only wonder how long this departure is going to last....will she be working for WOIO by May?

WOIO/WUAB General Manager Bill Applegate, the man responsible for bringing "Action News" to Cleveland....is retiring...

http://www.ohio.com/the330entertainment/heldenfels/robin-swoboda-announces-wkyc-exit-woio-wuab-general-manager-retiring-1.465913

Details in the 2nd half of the article after their account of Robin Swoboda leaving WKYC....

...and in more WOIO news....they are giving away their anchor desk to one of their facebook fans! It will be autographed by the anchor team.

Seems like an interesting idea....

Which means....a set refresh is definitely on its way....stay tuned! Whoops! See the next thread. I've been out of Cleveland too long it seems. WOIO seems to be headed to oblivion in my book with them getting the cookie-cutter Raycom stuff and now Bill Applegate retiring.....

...and in more WOIO news....they are giving away their anchor desk to one of their facebook fans! It will be autographed by the anchor team.

Seems like an interesting idea....

Which means....a set refresh is definitely on its way....stay tuned!

Might have missed this then: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/13505-woio-new-news-set/

As promised, the new website for KGNS is up and running. (I don't think KGNS has even announced it yet!)

They literally ported everything over from old to new. One of the reporters listed on the station page isn't there anymore. And who the hell uses myspace anymore?

Having said that I'm glad Gray owns channel 8 now. they will definitely invest in upgrading their infrastructure. The live truck they have is from the 80's. That alone tells you they should be lucky to have Gray as owners. HD in six months is my prediction.