Out & About

TexasTVNews

What an upgrade for KTVK. Also, that's the first time that the Spirit signature has been used in Phoenix—and Belo has owned KTVK for 14 years. 3 is coming a long way.

The Spirit is not a Belo mandate. KENS has never used the Spirit signature, neither has KVUE...

Another sad announcement just in to TVNT, this one out of Houston. Former KTRK, KMOL, KEYE, KTRK and KIAH anchor Alan Hemberger has died today. Cause of death is unknown for right now. Hemberger was 65 years old. All of us at TVNT sent our prayers and condolences to the Hemberger family. Rest In Peace, Alan.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2013/10/alan-hemberger-has-died.html

That's a total shock, wow. Definitely gone way too soon. RIP Alan. :(

I think I might be sick... KVIA has recently debuted new graphics for their new newscasts. Like the last graphics package (which was good), it was done in house.

http://www.kvia.com/video/ABC-7-at-9-on-the-CW-10-22-13/-/421452/22579300/-/gqpf5g/-/index.html

They kept High Velocity V2

They must have gotten the ABC World News treatment.

Well late-night deadness at work boredom as revealed to me that 1) JD Rudd was essentially pushed out of KSN early and even made him take his last scheduled day off

and

2) KSN is FINALLY preparing themselves for HD news. Only their weather segments are in HD. They will be by far the last station in the Wichita market to make the conversion, but it will still be several months yet before they do. That being said, KSNW will fully launch in HD sometime in 2014.

Lots of comings, goings, movings and shakings in America's Finest City:

KSWB - Reporter Chris Biele moves down the state from sister Tribune Station KXTL in Sacramento. Salvador Rivera, formerly of KGTV, is also working as a reporter. Matt Johnson, who had been a morning reporter since the station's launch in 2008, moves up to KATU in Portland to become a weekend anchor.

XETV - Reporter John Carroll joins from KGTV

KNSD - Monica Dean takes the 4pm/5pm anchor slot vacated by Christine Haas. Megan Tevrizian moves from reporting in the mornings to reporting in the evenings. Sherene Tagharobi takes her spot in the mornings. Candace Nguyen, formerly of XETV, is their newest reporter, per her twitter.

KFMB - Reporter Abbie Alford arrives from KOKI in Tulsa.

KUSI - Weatherman John Coleman is still dancin' the night away.

KGTV - The revolving door keeps on spinning: Former XETV anchor Maria Arcega-Dunn joins as an anchor-reporter from KCPQ in Seattle. Rielle Creighton also signs on as an anchor-reporter, arriving from WDJT in Milwaukee. Reporter Kandiss Crone joins from KMTV in Omaha, taking over for Janet Kwak, who left the station after just 5 months.

And KSWB Weather gal Aloha Taylor barely edges out KUSI Anchor-reporter Brandi Williams to defend her title of "Hottest San Diego News Chick" in the annual poll from radio station Channel 933. It's her second straight victory.

52589813.jpg

Lots of comings, goings, movings and shakings in America's Finest City:

KSWB - Reporter Chris Biele moves down the state from sister Tribune Station KXTL in Sacramento. Salvador Rivera, formerly of KGTV, is also working as a reporter. Matt Johnson, who had been a morning reporter since the station's launch in 2008, moves up to KATU in Portland to become a weekend anchor.

XETV - Reporter John Carroll joins from KGTV

KNSD - Monica Dean takes the 4pm/5pm anchor slot vacated by Christine Haas. Megan Tevrizian moves from reporting in the mornings to reporting in the evenings. Sherene Tagharobi takes her spot in the mornings. Candace Nguyen, formerly of XETV, is their newest reporter, per her twitter.

KFMB - Reporter Abbie Alford arrives from KOKI in Tulsa.

KUSI - Weatherman John Coleman is still dancin' the night away.

KGTV - The revolving door keeps on spinning: Former XETV anchor Maria Arcega-Dunn joins as an anchor-reporter from KCPQ in Seattle. Rielle Creighton also signs on as an anchor-reporter, arriving from WDJT in Milwaukee. Reporter Kandiss Crone joins from KMTV in Omaha, taking over for Janet Kwak, who left the station after just 5 months.

And KSWB Weather gal Aloha Taylor barely edges out KUSI Anchor-reporter Brandi Williams to defend her title of "Hottest San Diego News Chick" in the annual poll from radio station Channel 933. It's her second straight victory.

52589813.jpg

Just to add that Alexis Del Chiaro decided not to renew her contract with KUSI, to explore her "options". No word on where she is going. That adds another problem to KUSI's already short staffed operation. On KGTV, it seems like Maria Arcega-Dunn is taking over weekend morning anchoring duties from Chris Murphy.

In Denver Jodi Brooks departs KCNC tonight to become the regional sales director for a business-to-business insurance company.

Jacki Jing is leaving KWGN/KDVR for a morning anchor job in Cincy at Fox 19.

Melody Mendez is also leaving KWGN/KDVR today no announcement on where she's going yet.

Just to add that Alexis Del Chiaro decided not to renew her contract with KUSI, to explore her "options". No word on where she is going. That adds another problem to KUSI's already short staffed operation. On KGTV, it seems like Maria Arcega-Dunn is taking over weekend morning anchoring duties from Chris Murphy.

There aren't too many options in SD after working at KUSI, but I wouldn't be surprised if she wound up at KSWB. Speaking of which, a very tan Paul Bloom is back there anchoring on the weekends. That spot had been filled by Dan Plante, who somehow ended up back at KUSI anchoring on weekend mornings. Guess the bridges he torched on the way out the first time didn't quite burn to the ground.

There aren't too many options in SD after working at KUSI, but I wouldn't be surprised if she wound up at KSWB. Speaking of which, a very tan Paul Bloom is back there anchoring on the weekends. That spot had been filled by Dan Plante, who somehow ended up back at KUSI anchoring on weekend mornings. Guess the bridges he torched on the way out the first time didn't quite burn to the ground.

KUSI must have very desperate to take him back. Let's see how long this stint lasts. I'm not sure where Alexis winds up, she gave no indication that she was staying- or going. Either way, she'd would make a nice addition to KSWB. Speaking of which, it's interesting that Paul did not say that Susan had the night off, both yesterday and today. It may just be me, but the timing of her absence sure is coincidental to Dan Plante's resurfacing at KUSI.

In Denver Jodi Brooks departs KCNC tonight to become the regional sales director for a business-to-business insurance company.

Jacki Jing is leaving KWGN/KDVR for a morning anchor job in Cincy at Fox 19.

Melody Mendez is also leaving KWGN/KDVR today no announcement on where she's going yet.

Melody is off to WFLD's Good Day Chicago, according to NewsBlues.

Long time KMBC anchor Larry Moore is retiring at the end of the November sweeps.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/kmbc-9-news-anchor-larry-moore-makes-special-announcement/-/11664182/22718222/-/cvcrlw/-/index.html?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=kmbc%2B9%2Bnews

Correction: not retiring, simply becoming "Anchor Emeritus."

WOAI-TV anchor leaving in December

By Jeanne Jakle : October 30, 2013 : Updated: October 30, 2013 7:26pm

WOAI-TV's main anchorwoman, Elsa Ramon, announced Wednesday that she's leaving the NBC affiliate and San Antonio in December.

Ramon, who has co-anchored WOAI's 6, 6:30 and 10 p.m. news for five years and has entertained viewers with fun promos alongside co-anchor Randy Beamer that included a spoof of telenovelas, said her move is in support of her husband, Jordan Mandelberg, who's taking his “dream” job in Los Angeles.

“I cannot even describe how bittersweet this is. My husband made a sacrifice for me to come to San Antonio, and now it's time for me to exercise the give-and-take of marriage and let him follow his dream,” Ramon, a mother of two, stated in a WOAI news release.

She is looking forward to joining her husband as he begins a new position with the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, she said. “This is just an opportunity he could not turn down. It's a perfect combination of his passion for politics and love for Israel,” Ramon said.

Her last day at WOAI will be Dec. 20.

John Seabers, WOAI general manager, said: “We are saddened to lose such a quality professional as Elsa. ... Sinclair Broadcast Group believes family comes first, and we feel Elsa is doing the right thing for her family.”

Ramon said she will leave with a heavy heart and will greatly miss co-anchor Beamer, anchor Delaine Mathieu, sportscaster Don Harris and meteorologist John Gerard. “Each and every day I came to work was a joy,” Ramon added. “I will miss what became my family away from home.”

jjakle@express-news.net

John Seabers, WOAI general manager, said: “We are saddened to lose such a quality professional as Elsa. ... Sinclair Broadcast Group believes family comes first, and we feel Elsa is doing the right thing for her family.”

Interesting.

sanewsguy, on 31 Oct 2013 - 2:42 PM, said:snapback.png

Interesting.

If they believe in family values, then why do so many of their stations run those confrontational ("trash") talk shows?

Yep. KNBN is the only other news operation in Rapid Falls, because the CBS affiliate is a KELO satellite.

No, there's also KEVN.

KEVN was in the news recently when a few of its employees got stuck at the station during a snowstorm.

Rapid City is one of the smallest markets out there. For a few years after KEVN switched to FOX, viewers needed cable to get NBC (from KUSA in Denver).

KUSI must have very desperate to take him back. Let's see how long this stint lasts. I'm not sure where Alexis winds up, she gave no indication that she was staying- or going. Either way, she'd would make a nice addition to KSWB. Speaking of which, it's interesting that Paul did not say that Susan had the night off, both yesterday and today. It may just be me, but the timing of her absence sure is coincidental to Dan Plante's resurfacing at KUSI.

Well it seems there is a new weekday anchor at KSWB, Andrew Luria. So I guess Walter is going back to weekends.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic