Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 summer 2013 intern, anchor/mmj, digital account executive, director of new media, executive producer, investigative photographer, meteorologist, mmj, news producer, production technician I, web producer

2 sports reporter/anchor

4 account executive

But given that this is KSHB, the station that took almost six months to find a replacement GM, ND and 6pm anchor, as well as around 4 months or so to find a new meteorologist, it wouldn't surprise me if all of these are real. They also just lost a sports man. I read (from a somewhat unreliable source) that their EP just got fired.

Also, Brian Bracco is trying hard to tactfully purge that station while also getting people to stay there.

Standard Scripps procedure? KNXV had a dozen or so openings last year, including General Sales Manager and News Director (eventually, the GM hired an old cohort from KPNX to be GSM, but I'm not sure if he's still in that position).

Standard Scripps procedure? KNXV had a dozen or so openings last year, including General Sales Manager and News Director (eventually, the GM hired an old cohort from KPNX to be GSM, but I'm not sure if he's still in that position).

WEWS and WCPO have also seen high amounts of job openings. If you ask me, it's proof that Scripps's stations are worse off than corporate either imagines or tries to make them out to be.

WXXV has finally released shots of their new news team for their newscasts that according to their Chief Meteorologist Ashley Feaster, is launching "Late September". It looks to me like it's a typical cheap looking Morris Network production just like sister station WMGT in Macon, GA. I mean look at their MS Paint quality logo!! :rofl!: Their news set looks pretty much like it's just a desk in front of a green screen. It's funny to see that some viewers think they will compete with market giant WLOX. They have a Facebook for their station, one for their news department, and one for their weather department.

https://www.facebook.com/wxxv25

https://www.facebook.com/pages/WXXV-News-25/414850728619179

https://www.facebook.com/News25WeatherEdge

What some of their Facebook friends are saying:

Luke Gray congratulations to all the new news crew now let's make wlox cry lmao

1 · 9 hours ago via mobile

Ollie Nolen Pavolini I'll be glad when ya'll start--Put WLOX to shame

9 hours ago

Kirt Quist Looks like you have to be younger than 30 to be a part of the WXXV crew.

9 hours ago via mobile

I don't think they have a chance against WLOX. Man, looking at their Facebook makes me cringe. All of the grammatical mistakes and run-on sentences and childish jokes that their cameras look like R2D2. Yeah, I probably wouldn't watch if I was in Biloxi. I'm also perplexed as to why Ashley Feaster is their Chief Met. Russ Pappas looks more experienced. I probably would've swapped the two.

Interesting news day (Tues 20).

First, Nexstar's Team 20 in Little Rock announces some new hires, coming a day after they lost Jessica Dean to KYW.

KARK Adds Husband and Wife Anchor Duo

By Kevin Eck on August 20, 2013 4:38 PM

ketz_nolan.jpg

KARK, the Nexstar owned NBC affiliate for Little Rock, AR, has announced the addition of two anchors who are also married to each other.

Starting in September, Ashley Ketz will join Bob Clausen on the 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00 p.m. newscast. Ketz replaces Jessica Dean who was recently named anchor at KYW in Philadelphia. Also joining the station in September is Ketz’s husband, Aaron Nolan, who returns to KARK as co-anchor of “Arkansas Today,” the station’s noon newscast. He will anchor alongside Mallory Hardin.

“We couldn’t be more excited about welcoming Ashley home to Arkansas,” said KARK news director Austin Kellerman. “Ashley has done a standout job since joining Nexstar Broadcasting’s station in Springfield. It’s a natural transition for her to return home and help lead our team in Little Rock.”

Nolan is currently an anchor at Nexstar’s KOZL in Springfield, MO, while Ketz anchors for sister station KOLR.

“We truly enjoyed our time in Springfield, but Arkansas is home,” added Ketz. “We look forward to working with such a trusted and talented team and telling the stories that matter to Arkansans.”

Nolan will also report for both KARK and FOX affiliate KLRT.

He started his career at KARK and has also worked at KNWA in Fayetteville, AR. Ketz began her career at KFSM in Fort Smith, AR.

Also,

WLNE Names Nicole Moye News Director

By Merrill Knox on August 20, 2013 3:44 PM

Nicole Moye has been named news director at WLNE, the ABC affiliate in Providence. Her appointment is effective August 21.

Moye comes from WPMT in Harrisburg, Penn., where she was the assistant news director. She has previously worked at KOLD in Bend, Ore., KCOY-KKFX in Santa Barbara, KRON in San Francisco and KPTV in Portland, Ore.

“Nicole has over 20 years of experience in local broadcast news as a producer and news director. I am confident that she is the ideal person to continue to build on WLNE’s recent success and bring us to the next level in making this station a competitor in the TV market,” vice president and general manager Chris Tzianabos said in a statement.

Moye replaces Robert Rockstroh, who resigned earlier this summer.

Has anyone noticed that all three of their news directors under Citadel have come from Tribune stations? (the previous two from WTIC)

But what I'm even more excited about is that a certain rogue reporter is leaving WLNE.

According to her twitter account, she'll

0556.png

Actually, crap. Why would WVIT hire her? She is not that great of a reporter. I have a gut feeling she'll do this two years and then mommy will get her a job at WFAA. I will cringe if that happens. I will stop watching WFAA if they hire Abbey...

At least WVIT is the third place station in CT so not too many people will have to be exposed to her amateurish reporting...

And finally,

Atlanta Gunman Ordered School Employee to Call WSB

By Merrill Knox on August 20, 2013 4:37 PM

During the school shooting in Atlanta Tuesday afternoon, the gunman ordered a school employee to call WSB, the ABC affiliate in Atlanta.

After the school employee placed the call, she was connected to an assignment editor, Lacey Lecroy, who talked about the conversation during the station’s continuing coverage of the incident. “All my time doing this I’ve never experienced anything like this … she said, ‘he wants me to give a message to Channel 2. He wants Channel 2 to come here,” she said (video can be found on WSB's site).

“I never heard him, just her. I asked her why and he said he wanted us to start filming as police die … I was so worried for her,” Lecroy said.

That's just sad and scary and prayers out to all those affected in Atlanta. Thankfully no injuries.

And that's the way it was on Tuesday. All above courtesy TVSpy.

What some of their Facebook friends are saying:

I don't think they have a chance against WLOX. Man, looking at their Facebook makes me cringe. All of the grammatical mistakes and run-on sentences and childish jokes that their cameras look like R2D2. Yeah, I probably wouldn't watch if I was in Biloxi. I'm also perplexed as to why Ashley Feaster is their Chief Met. Russ Pappas looks more experienced. I probably would've swapped the two.

For a very small market, WLOX is about as top-notch as it gets, and is in many ways as high quality as large market stations. I agree that WXXV's news operation is doomed for failure (as would anyone else trying to enter the market). A market of Biloxi's size can really only support one news operation if it is high quality like WLOX is. Few stations in sub-150 markets win Peabody awards like they did after Katrina.

At least WVIT is the third place station in CT so not too many people will have to be exposed to her amateurish reporting...

WVIT may be in 3rd place but WVIT actually has more Facebook likes and Twitter followers than WFSB, WTNH or WTIC-TV.

But what I'm even more excited about is that a certain rogue reporter is leaving WLNE.

According to her twitter account, she'll

0556.png

Actually, crap. Why would WVIT hire her? She is not that great of a reporter. I have a gut feeling she'll do this two years and then mommy will get her a job at WFAA. I will cringe if that happens. I will stop watching WFAA if they hire Abbey...

WVIT may be in 3rd place but WVIT actually has more Facebook likes and Twitter followers than WFSB, WTNH or WTIC-TV.

WVIT did very well during the Newtown, CT school shooting. They won a Peabody for their coverage.

Even more news out of WPMI (and even WJTC...their sister station) as reported by Mobile's Lagniappe newspaper

• Sports Director Lance Crawford's contract is not being renewed, leaving Clement Townsend as the sole sports anchor/reporter. Weekend anchor Andrea Ramey will take over his spot on the station's "Law Call" program on Sunday evenings.

• In addition to Kelly Jones being hired to replace Tami Brehse, insiders claim that Deitra Tate will now be the morning meteorologist, and current morning meteorologist Kelly Foster will be moving to weekends. Deitra has been filling in this week with Pat Greenwood, minus Tami. They will also be adding a 4:30am newscast, becoming the 2nd Mobile station (and third since WEAR added one last month) to do so. No start date was indicated.

• WJTC UTV 44 (referred in the article as UPN 44...even though they've been independent since UPN went away) is also ADDING a 6:30pm newscast. Sister station WFGX (run by WEAR) added a 9pm show last week. Like the 4:30 show, no start date was indicated as well.

Here's the story: http://classic.lagniappemobile.com/article.asp?articleID=6703&sid=18

DAMN!?!? 232,741 likes on FB and 35,687 followers on Twitter (@NBCConnecticut)? Wow. I guess a lot of people like poor quality reporting and the worst weather people. The best news channel in CT, hands down, is WTNH News 8. WFSB is also pretty good.

WVIT just became amateur hour with the hiring of this reporter.

The other stations

@WFSBnews-205,681 FB likes; 25,832 Twitter followers

@WTNH-60,403 FB likes; 32,416 Twitter followers

@foxct (WTIC)-22,505 FB likes; 13,753 Twitter followers

I'm almost certain the WFSB and WVIT FB likes were bought. WTNH and WTIC have way more realistic numbers of likes. WVIT made a huge mistake, just when they were starting to gain traction in the market, the viewers will be disappointed to see an amateur doing their news reports so they will turn away in droves. Watch WVIT's ratings drop when Niezgoda debuts on the air.

WVIT did very well during the Newtown, CT school shooting. They won a Peabody for their coverage.

I will give you that. They did a good job. WTNH was my turn-to station though during the Newtown shooting. Still will be if I want to know what's going on there and WVIT has given me a reason not to watch by using poor judgment when hiring someone. Did they not see how poorly Abbey handled the dogs-getting-sicced-on-her thing. She was absolutely unprofessional (yes, it was wrong for that lady to do that, but Abbey and her photog provoked it) and she is suitable to work for lowbrow owners like Nexstar, Citadel, Sinclair, Pappas, Brian Brady, etc. But not for an NBC O&O. They're the big time. They need to review their hiring practices in the future and not hire people like her again. I will not watch them or consider them a legit news source until she leaves.

My reasons sound absurd, I know. But I do not like Niezgoda (as a reporter, as a person she seems really nice), people should not have to be exposed to that amateur.

I just hope what I said doesn't sound as bad as James "Jimmy" Cieloha... :)

• In addition to Kelly Jones being hired to replace Tami Brehse, insiders claim that Deitra Tate will now be the morning meteorologist, and current morning meteorologist Kelly Foster will be moving to weekends. Deitra has been filling in this week with Pat Greenwood, minus Tami. They will also be adding a 4:30am newscast, becoming the 2nd Mobile station (and third since WEAR added one last month) to do so. No start date was indicated.

What? No more Tami Brehse? This is sad. They let go of a local gal and brought in a friend of the GM basically. She wasn't well liked at KCTV (according to other posts on here). If Totsch ever leaves as WPMI's GM, then Jones will follow too.

I hope Tami lands on her feet elsewhere, maybe at WKRG 5?

Even more news out of WPMI (and even WJTC...their sister station) as reported by Mobile's Lagniappe newspaper

• Sports Director Lance Crawford's contract is not being renewed, leaving Clement Townsend as the sole sports anchor/reporter. Weekend anchor Andrea Ramey will take over his spot on the station's "Law Call" program on Sunday evenings.

• WJTC UTV 44 (referred in the article as UPN 44...even though they've been independent since UPN went away) is also ADDING a 6:30pm newscast. Sister station WFGX (run by WEAR) added a 9pm show last week. Like the 4:30 show, no start date was indicated as well.

Here's the story: http://classic.lagniappemobile.com/article.asp?articleID=6703&sid=18

Ha. I doubt Kelly Jones will be there for too long.

DAMN!?!? 232,741 likes on FB and 35,687 followers on Twitter (@NBCConnecticut)? Wow. I guess a lot of people like poor quality reporting and the worst weather people. The best news channel in CT, hands down, is WTNH News 8. WFSB is also pretty good.

WVIT just became amateur hour with the hiring of this reporter.

The other stations

@WFSBnews-205,681 FB likes; 25,832 Twitter followers

@WTNH-60,403 FB likes; 32,416 Twitter followers

@foxct (WTIC)-22,505 FB likes; 13,753 Twitter followers

I'm sure KNXV has the most social media followers in the Phoenix market, but they're in last place where it really counts. It's strange how that works.

What? No more Tami Brehse? This is sad. They let go of a local gal and brought in a friend of the GM basically. She wasn't well liked at KCTV (according to other posts on here). If Totsch ever leaves as WPMI's GM, then Jones will follow too.

I hope Tami lands on her feet elsewhere, maybe at WKRG 5?

The article didn't specify her status with WPMI...she may just be leaving the morning show and going back to reporting. She took over the spot when Angela Martin abruptly left last year, so it may have been an interim move all along. She was back on the air this morning as well.

Ha. I doubt Kelly Jones will be there for too long.

The morning show (and the station in general) has had A LOT of turnover over the past 7 years. Pat Greenwood moved up from being the longtime sports director to the morning anchor in 2007 when Scott Walker departed for WESH. Kym Thurman was promoted to primary anchor after the primary anchor they hired (Raquel Eatmon) left after three months, rumored to be backlash from the Peter Albrecht-Drexel Gilbert-Kim McCrea purge that happened several months before. Varion Walton took over and lasted until 2010, when she was let go and replaced by Angela Martin.

Through it all, Kelly Foster has remained the constant, until now.

One of the things that stood out was the quote that Lance Crawford made his time in Mobile. He claimed that "I’ve done 15 years in the Mobile market — 10 years at Channel 10 and five years hear. It looks like my Mobile TV career may be ending,” Could it be a typo? or something that slipped through the spell checker? Add to the fact the reporter obviously had no clue that UPN hasn't existed since 2006 and that WJTC is referred to as UTV 44 (but was UPN 44 until 2006)

Back to San Diego, lots of moving and shaking with syndicated tv shows in the market.

KGTV 10 (ABC): has picked up LIVE with Kelly and Michael, it will air at 9am after GMA starting 9/2. The show moves over from KFMB 8 (CBS) were it has aired for the past two years. Also, Right This Minute, which currently airs at 9am will move to 4pm also on 9/2 and occupy the slot being occupied by Katie. No word on what happens to the Katie show, if it has been dropped or moved to another timeslot.

KFMB is moving Let's Make a Deal into the former Kelly and Michael slot at 9a. Not sure what is moving into the 2p slot left vacant.

KFMB is moving Let's Make a Deal into the former Kelly and Michael slot at 9a. Not sure what is moving into the 2p slot left vacant.

KCBS will move LMAD to 9am as well. KPIX is already airing it at 9am (unsure when it moved into that time slot). Could be a CBS mandate to have the show air at that time.

KCBS will move LMAD to 9am as well. KPIX is already airing it at 9am (unsure when it moved into that time slot). Could be a CBS mandate to have the show air at that time.

It makes sense to build a game show block with LMAD and Price is Right. It always seemed weird how the shows were aired here in San Diego.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic