Out & About

TexasTVNews

WDJT's morning anchor Jennifer Tomazic is on her way to Pittsburgh. Her last day is today. Not sure what she'll be doing in Pittsburgh, though.

Talk about a mass exodus from Milwaukee from all four stations. Shelly Walcott, Jen Lada, Dario Melendez, Jennifer Tomazic, all in the past 3 months.

Happy news to report, WESH 2 anchor Martha Sugalski made a big announcement Monday: Sugalski and her husband, Rob Reich, are expecting triplets! “I’m going to be leaving you guys this summer for a little bit,” she said on-air. She then placed three small pairs of shoes on the anchor desk for two boys and one girl. She made the announcement on WESH 2 News at 5 p.m., which she anchors alongside Jim Payne. Sugalski has three children from her previous marriage -- two sons and a daughter. She joined WESH 2 News in 2006.

http://www.wesh.com/tv/about/WESH-2-s-Martha-Sugalski-pregnant-with-triplets/-/11789786/18308580/-/awnwj7z/-/index.html

Former WREG news anchor Pam McKelvy is returning to Memphis television after an 8 year absence, most of which was spent being a full-time mother. McKelvy will officially begin work today as the new 4pm co-anchor at rival station, WMC-TV, alongside Jarvis Greer. Former 4pm co-anchor, Lindsey Brown, was recently moved to the weekday morning shift a few weeks back, where she now shares co-anchor duties with Kym Clark and Andrew Douglas.

WAVY's Alveta Ewell announced her retirement during tonight's 6pm newscast. Her last newscast will be February 26th at 6pm. No word on who will be replacing her (I'd expect Nicole Livas, but who knows)

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/alveta-ewell-announces-retirement

Congratulations on her retirement, though it will be VERY strange not seeing her in the evenings on WAVY.

And I'd agree Nicole Livas is likely to replace her.

WAVY's Alveta Ewell announced her retirement during tonight's 6pm newscast. Her last newscast will be February 26th at 6pm. No word on who will be replacing her (I'd expect Nicole Livas, but who knows)

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/alveta-ewell-announces-retirement

Follow up...

Nicole Livas replaces Ewell as co-anchor at 6 and 11.

Anita Blanton has become the 5:30 co-anchor with Stephanie Harris.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/weekday-evening-anchors-announced

Looks like WVEC has given longtime traffic reporter Benita Adams the boot.

Quote from WVEC on their Facebook (response to a comment asking where she was):

Benita is still in the area, but she is no longer with WVEC. It was a management decision. Thanks for asking! Have a wonderful day!

VARTV reports Ashley Smith, winner of the Miss United States two years ago, is expected to replace her.

• 2 weeks later...

VARTV reports that Matt Lincoln is now the new sports director for WPEC-CBS 12 in West Palm Beach, Florida. March 1st was Lincoln's last day at WWBT-NBC 12 in Richmond, VA. He takes over for Pat Murphy, who is retiring after almost 30 years (Murphy worked at WPEC and before that, WPTV).

Amanda Meadows is now the new traffic reporter for WJLA-ABC 7 in Washington, DC beginning March 18th. Tuesday (March 12) was her last day at WTVR-CBS 6 in Richmond.

When was there a branding change at WNCN-NBC 17 in Raleigh/Durham/Goldsboro? The station is now going by "WNCN", with no peacock in sight.

http://www.wncn.com

Very recently... last month I think. It's only online right now. They're still using NBC17 on-air.

2034685_G.jpg

If that's a preview of what's to come, I like it. Kinda looks like the Scripps graphics.

I like the absence of the peacock... seems like every station wants to put it in their logo nowadays. This looks clean.

A lot of coming and goings in their market.

• Earl Arms has joined Milwaukee CBS affiliate WDJT as sports anchor and reporter. Arms comes to WDJT from WEYI in Flint, MI. Before WEYI he worked at WKOW in Madison, WI, and Time Warner Cable Sports 32 in Milwaukee.
  • Kristy Davis is joining WLWT as a weekday morning anchor and reporter. She comes from WBRZ in Baton Rouge, where she has worked since 2007.
  • Pat Walker has joined Little Rock NBC affiliate KARK as weekend meteorologist. Walker previously worked at WCBI in Columbus, MS, KSAN in San Angelo, TX, KSWO in Lawton, TX, KLJB in Davenport, IA, andKPTM in Omaha, NE.
  • Former WFRV Sports Director/Anchor Larry McCarren is joining WGBA, the NBC affiliate in Green Bay, as sports director. McCarren begins at WGBA on April 1.
  • Sheena Parveen has been named the weekday 11pm meteorologist at WCAU in Philadelphia, in addition to her afternoon duties.
  • Deborah Takahara has been named a primary evening anchor at KDVR in Denver, where she has worked since 2006.
  • Britt Moreno joins KCNC in Denver as a weekday morning anchor from weekend morning anchor at KSAZ in Phoenix.
  • Stephanie Watson joins WPEC in West Palm Beach as a Monday through Friday afternoon anchor/reporter. She previously worked at KDKA in Pittsburgh.

•  
    Al Terzi has been named the weekday 5:00 p.m. anchor for WTIC in Connecticut. Al joined the station last year from WFSB.

Two big names in Dallas, TX and Cleveland, OH are saying farewell in April and May.

• After 34 years at WFAA Channel 8, Brad Watson has announced his departure from the Dallas-Fort Worth ABC affiliate. Watson, who is a political reporter and anchor of the weekly “Inside Texas Politics,” announced on Twitter that he has accepted a job as the director of communications for Texas-based Luminant Power.
    “There is no better job in local TV news than being a reporter at WFAA and informing the people of this great state. It has been an honor,” Watson tweeted Monday. In 2011, Watson made national headlines during an interview with President Obama when the President chided the veteran reporter to “let me finish my answers next time we do an interview.” Watson will bid adieu to WFAA in Mid-April.

• WJW FOX 8 anchor Wilma Smith is leaving the Cleveland Fox affiliate, she announced on Monday evening’s newscasts.
    “ I've loved every second I've worked here at Fox 8, and I've been in your homes for more than 20 years now, but I have decided that I want to spend more time with my gift from God, my husband Tom,” Smith said. “So I have decided to retire from the station at the end of May.”
    Smith’s departure will cap off a 35-year career, all of it spent anchoring in Cleveland. She worked at ABC affiliate WEWS for 17 years before joining WJW in 1994. During her years at Channel 5, she was the co-host of "Afternoon Exchange" and "Live On 5." In 1983, she began co-anchoring the 11 p.m. newscast with Ted Henry. For the past eight years, Smith has anchored the 6 p.m. newscast alongside Lou Maglio. The station has not yet decided on a replacement for Smith.

41 Action News adds 4pm to its news offerings.

The Kansas City Star states that, Scripps-owned NBC affiliate KSHB 41 will extend its early evening newscast to 4pm on April 8. This will give Channel 41 90 minutes of news until the NBC Nightly News at 5:30pm.

The new 4pm news will compete with Meredith's CBS station KCTV 5's 4pm news program.

Three Richmond stations are having signal issues.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch states Young Broadcasting's ABC station WRIC 8, Sinclair's Fox station WRLH 35 and PBS station WCVE are operating at reduced power because of a broken antenna exciter, which isn't bringing the signals properly. They stated that it isn't affecting everybody since most folks have cable & satellite, but for the folks in the outlying areas, who rely on an over-the-air signal is greatly affected.

WRIC weekend meteorologist Jason Myers announced on his Facebook page yesterday that this Thursday (Mar. 28th) will be his last day with the station. He will be joining ABC 36 (WTVQ) in Lexington, Kentucky as their new Chief Meteorologist.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic