Out & About

TexasTVNews

"Kristyn Hartman, who began as a college intern at WBBM-Channel 2 and later came back to the CBS-owned station as a general assignment reporter, is leaving again. She’s expected to sign off in April, news director Jeff Kiernan announced Tuesday. No word yet on her next move. “There are certain things I want to get out of life, and I’m pursuing them,” Hartman told me. “We all come to these points in our careers where we have to make really tough decisions. I couldn’t be more thankful for the opportunity I’ve had here.” Hartman, who grew up in southwest suburban Hickory Hills and graduated from Northwestern University, rejoined CBS 2 in 2004 and served for a time as morning news anchor on weekdays and weekends. She previously worked at WCCB-TV in Charlotte, North Carolina, and KTVK-TV in Phoenix."

-Robert Feder (TimeOutChicago.com)

WHO anchor John Bachman, who has been with the Des Moines NBC-affiliate since 1987, will retire at the end of November.

“I’ve been so fortunate to anchor at WHO-HD for a quarter of a century,” Bachman said, announcing his retirement. “Now it’s time for my wife Barb and me to visit the grandchildren during the Iowa winters, while viewers will get the opportunity to enjoy Winters–Dan, that is.”

Dan Winters, an anchor and reporter for WHO for the past eight years, will succeed Bachman at the anchor desk.

“John Bachman will forever be a part of the heritage and tradition of WHO,” president and general manager Dale Woods said.

“Not only the consummate professional, but also a proficient journalist and a warm caring person,” Woods added. “While we’re excited about the future, this is a time to remember and celebrate John’s accomplishments over four decades.”

Bachman’s son John is an anchor at WSB in Atlanta.

WWL Sports Director Jim Henderson will give his final 5, 6 and 10 pm sportscasts today. The Times-Picayune did two features in today's paper.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2012/01/jim_henderson_reflects_on_the.html

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2012/01/jim_henderson_concludes_three-.html#incart_mce

WFAA Ramblings...

- Longtime, much beloved, and very outspoken sports director Dale Hansen, who has been with Belo’s flagship ever since cross-town rival KDFW fired him in 1982, has resigned for 3 more years with Channel 8. That would move his 2013 contract expiration back to 2016, at which time, Hansen would be age 68. Fans of Hansen - myself included - can rest easier knowing the annual “Thank God For Kids” segments - half video Christmas Card, half very poignant and personal op-ed, will be around for another four Christmases. Btw, this last year’s one was the absolute best ever.

- And the dynamic duo of Gloria Campos and John McCaa are hopeful to resign with Channel 8. Both John and Gloria, who are due for contract expirations later this year, have been employed with the powerhouse Dallas ABC station since 1984. They have been the permanent anchors of The News 8 Update, 8’s late-night news, since 2002. In recent years, Channel 8 has had knock-down/drag-out fights in the 10pm ratings race for 1st place with KTVT.

Imho, 8 would be mucho smart to keep John and Gloria around. They’re too good at what they do, and too respected in the Dallas-Fort Worth/North Texas market for another station in town not to snap them up the day after their no-compete clauses expired. Plus, as stated above, both have been with Channel 8 quite literally since I was in diapers. I can’t imagine turning on Channel 8 at Ten O’clock and seeing anyone else behind that glass desk. I can’t; and frankly, I don’t want to. And plus, both are of the old-school brand of journalism that has made Channel 8 the bastion of hardcore, serious news reporting that it is. John and Gloria belong there. And hopefully, they will stay there.

A face familiar to North Texans may be on her way back. Uncle Barky reports that former KTVT weekday morning meteorologist Julie Bologna, who served as former chief met at WPXI Pittsburgh, is now in talks with KDFW in Dallas.

Due to Fiona Gorostiza's new contract with Channel 4 NOT including weathercasting duties (instead, she will instead be a full-time general assignment reporter), KDFW is looking for Fiona's early morning replacement.

Scary event on KUSA's morning show in Denver today. This morning 9News was doing an interview with the dog's owner. Long story short the dog fell into a icy pond after going after a Coyote yesterday. Anyway they had the dog and his owner on the morning show so the owner can talk about the ice rescue. Kyle Dyer morning anchor at 9News decided to try and give the dog a kiss and the dog bit Kyle in the face. No word as of yet of the extent of her injuries but she is in the hospital.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Toledo Fox-affiliate WUPW will reportedly lay off 63 employees when the station changes ownership this spring.

The Toledo Blade reports that Ohio state officials have been informed of planned layoffs at WUPW when a deal for the station between American Spirit Media and LIN Media is finalized in the coming months. American Spirit, a Charlotte-based company run by Thomas Henson, who owns a handful of stations across the country, is buying WUPW from LIN for $22 million. LIN has owned and operated the station since 2002.

While WUPW and American Spirit could re-hire at least some of the laid-off employees, it appears the company plans to operate the station under a shared services agreement with Raycom Media, which owns Toledo CBS-affiliate WTOL. As the Toledo Blade points out, Henson already operates at least three stations with Raycom, including WXTX in Columbus, GA, WSFX in Wilmington, and WUPV in Richmond.

Austin NBC-affiliate KXAN introduced Robert Maxwell to viewers this morning, announcing that Maxwell would join the morning anchor desk on March 12.

Maxwell comes to KXAN from KTVX in Salt Lake City, where he served as the station’s primary evening anchor. In addition to co-anchoring KXAN’s morning newscast, Maxwell will work as an investigative reporter. “I’m pleased to welcome a journalist of Robert’s caliber to the KXAN team,” KXAN news director Michael Fabac said this week. “Robert’s personality will help engage the a.m. news audience and serve as a terrific compliment to anchor Sally Hernandez.”

Maxwell is taking over Chris Willis‘s seat alongside Hernandez. KXAN recently announced that Willis had been tapped to lead its investigative team. A native of Canada who began his TV career in Toronto, Maxwell worked as a weekend anchor and reporter at WFTV in Orlando before joining Salt Lake City’s KTVX.

Sinclair Broadcast Group flagship WBFF in Baltimore will expand its early evening news offerings starting on April 9, by adding an additional half-hour newscast at 5 p.m. Jeff Barnd and Jennifer Gilbert, who anchor the 5:30, 10 and 11 p.m. newscasts on weeknights, will anchor the newscast. Judge Judy, which currently airs in the 5 p.m. timeslot will move back one hour to 4 p.m. with the change.

Side note: Out of the 17 Fox affiliates that Sinclair owns and/or operates, WBFF is currently the only one with early evening newscasts (its existing 5:30 p.m. newscast, which will continue with the expansion, and be treated as a separate newscast despite having the same anchor team according to WBFF/WNUV general manager Bill Fanshawe, began in January 2005); all other Fox stations owned/managed by Sinclair carry only weekday morning and/or nightly late evening newscasts (especially the three other in-house news operations among the group's Fox affiliates: KOKH/Oklahoma City, WZTV/Nashville and KABB/San Antonio).

After 23 years at WXYZ, sports director Don Shane has announced his retirement from the Detroit ABC-affiliate.

On yesterday’s 6 p.m. newscast, Shane called his tenure at WXYZ “the best 23 years of my professional life.”

“I wanted to thank everyone — at this television station, for one, and everybody out there who watched us faithfully each night from wherever, your living room, your dining room, your family room, your kitchen,” Shane said. Shane’s final sportscast was on last night’s 11 p.m. newscast. He will return to the station on March 20 for a “formal goodbye.”

February sweeps news here in Milwaukee. The usual top two were WISN and WTMJ, with WISN coming out on top this time. In a surprising development that seems to show HD does make a difference to viewers, WDJT beat out WITI for third place for the first time ever. The numbers were:

WISN- 8.4

WTMJ- 8.0

WDJT- 6.7

WITI- 5.9

February sweeps news here in Milwaukee. The usual top two were WISN and WTMJ, with WISN coming out on top this time. In a surprising development that seems to show HD does make a difference to viewers, WDJT beat out WITI for third place for the first time ever. The numbers were:

WISN- 8.4

WTMJ- 8.0

WDJT- 6.7

WITI- 5.9

Welp.

Can't say I'm really surprised. WDJT's new set and HD news have completely overhauled their appearance and they no longer look like a college newscast with slightly more money. Meanwhile, WITI continues to decline with increasingly half-assed promos and graphics (They recently debut a new live truck wrap that can only be described as "retro" and looks like a small town truck wrap from the early 80's. This is featured in a long promo that's extremely boring...), undertrained or poorly trained Viz artists, a revolving door of reporters, technical errors that plague every newscast, and an overall decrease in the quality of content. The morning newscast is a mess, Shaun Patrick is one of the worst readers in the market and frequently employs the use of "boring monotone" to deliver the news.

Things are going to need to change there or they are going to become the next WDJT.

Welp.

Can't say I'm really surprised. WDJT's new set and HD news have completely overhauled their appearance and they no longer look like a college newscast with slightly more money. Meanwhile, WITI continues to decline with increasingly half-assed promos and graphics (They recently debut a new live truck wrap that can only be described as "retro" and looks like a small town truck wrap from the early 80's. This is featured in a long promo that's extremely boring...), undertrained or poorly trained Viz artists, a revolving door of reporters, technical errors that plague every newscast, and an overall decrease in the quality of content. The morning newscast is a mess, Shaun Patrick is one of the worst readers in the market and frequently employs the use of "boring monotone" to deliver the news.

Things are going to need to change there or they are going to become the next WDJT.

I agree with you on most parts. Unfortunately, from the conversations I have had with their GM, he loves everything the way it is and isn't inclined to change anything. I wonder if these ratings will change his mind?

KTVT CBS 11 News is #1 at 6 & 10pm!

10 P.M. Total Viewers

CBS11 -- 230,997 (minus 6,554)

WFAA8 -- 188,997 (minus 25,700)

NBC5 -- 146,321 (minus 21,281)

Fox4 -- 121,934 (minus 19,350)

25-to-54-Year-Olds

CBS11 -- 81,853 (minus 5,135)

WFAA8 -- 80,348 (minus 1,980)

NBC5 --- 78,844 (plus 1,487)

Fox4 -- 64,399 (minus 13,890)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

6 P.M. - Total Viewers

CBS11 -- 137,514 (minus 60,561)

WFAA8 -- 132,772 (minus 37,600)

Fox4 -- 115,160 (minus 33,050)

NBC5 -- 113,805 (minus 17,783)

25-to-54-Year-Olds

Fox4 -- 54,769 (minus 15,442)

WFAA8 -- 43,936 (minus 21,615)

NBC5 -- 40,626 (plus 3,656)

CBS11 -- 26,181 (minus 28,808)

Welp.

WITI also debuted a new promo last night (that aired again tonight) touting how they did everything "right" in February. It's safe to say they didn't expect the ratings they got.

Connecticut's Al Terzi left WFSB last Friday (3/2/12): http://nhregister.co...wmode=fullstory

KARE's Mike Pomeranz is leaving on March 23rd to become a broadcaster for the San Diego Pardes: http://www.kare11.co...leaving-KARE-11

WVUE's Lee Zurik's picture is being used for target practice by the Sheriff's Office: http://www.fox8live....55HW_-Hdw.email

KARE's Mike Pomeranz is leaving on March 23rd to become a broadcaster for the San Diego Pardes: http://www.kare11.co...leaving-KARE-11

Just to expand a bit on this. Pomeranz isn't exactly going to be a broadcaster (or play by play guy) for the Padres (that job belongs to former CBS broadcaster Dick Enberg), instead Pomeranz will handle Pre and Post-Game shows for the newly created (and soon to be launched) FOX Sports San Diego. Rumors are flying that Pomeranz could eventually move into the booth to call games, but that is pure speculation as Dick Enberg still has several years on his contract with the Padres. More from U-T San Diego.

http://www.utsandieg...es-studio-host/

Scary event on KUSA's morning show in Denver today. This morning 9News was doing an interview with the dog's owner. Long story short the dog fell into a icy pond after going after a Coyote yesterday. Anyway they had the dog and his owner on the morning show so the owner can talk about the ice rescue. Kyle Dyer morning anchor at 9News decided to try and give the dog a kiss and the dog bit Kyle in the face. No word as of yet of the extent of her injuries but she is in the hospital.

KDVR's news director called the other Denver stations "wimps" for not airing that footage of the bite.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kdvr-news-director-on-decision-to-air-kusa-dog-bite-footage-the-other-stations-are-wimps_b39607#more-39607

WISN- 8.4

WTMJ- 8.0

WDJT- 6.7

WITI- 5.9

WDJT has pulled off third place sweeps wins before.

According to Uncle Barky, KOCO-TV ABC OKC may be trying to sweet-talk WFAA's Shelly Slater into signing on with them. And KOCO's lead female anchor, Jessica Schambach, has expressed interest in the Dallas-Fort Worth market. Time to break out the popcorn, sit back and watch what happens...

It may be a longshot, but prediction >> If Shelly does move to KOCO, WFAA may well trade for Jessica and make her the 5pm anchor. And, thus, Debbie Denmon, who unsuccessfully sued WFAA for discrimination after Shelly got the 5pm over her, may get stiffed again. Damn shame. Imho, Debbie deserves the 5pm. If and when Shelly leaves for KOCO, if Debbie puts in for it and does not get it, might she (Debbie) be tempted to leave WFAA and say "To hell with it, I'll go somewhere else..."?

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic