Out & About

TexasTVNews

17 hours ago, Breaking News said:

WTMJ Carole Meekins to retire end of the month.

I vaguely remember her BRIEF time in Cleveland at WEWS as primary anchor with Ted Henry between Wilma Smith and Lorna Barrett.  

I think it was something she said on air that sent her back to Milwaukee...

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:49 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

I vaguely remember her BRIEF time in Cleveland at WEWS as primary anchor with Ted Henry between Wilma Smith and Lorna Barrett.  

I think it was something she said on air that sent her back to Milwaukee...

In the 1999 book "Cleveland TV Memories" by Tom Feran and R.D. Heldenfels, it was something she said in a Cleveland Plain Dealer article that WEWS management didn't like.

20231111_112347.jpg

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Added excerpt
  • Haha 4

WWL-TV in New Orleans has dropped the long-standing “Eyewitness News” moniker for “WWL Louisiana”. So now it’s “WWL Louisiana News at XX”. Apparently a new tagline/positioner too?

image.png.94117db52155b7fec8a21d3fc5c9d2a2.png

WWL-TV has in the past used “Louisiana’s News Leader” as a positioner, but “WWL Louisiana” just sounds weird to me.

Any other Tegna stations trying something similar?

Edited by mightynine
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, mightynine said:

WWL-TV in New Orleans has dropped the long-standing “Eyewitness News” moniker for “WWL Louisiana”. So now it’s “WWL Louisiana News at XX”. Apparently a new tagline/positioner too?

image.png.94117db52155b7fec8a21d3fc5c9d2a2.png

WWL-TV has in the past used “Louisiana’s News Leader” as a positioner, but “WWL Louisiana” just sounds weird to me.

Any other Tegna stations trying something similar?

Are they still trying to work in the WUPL branding on the WWL shows (on the bug), even though the only common denominator is the 7-9am newscast that ended up there because CBS forced them to carry CBS This Morning once and for all?

Maybe it’s been mentioned but I didn’t know realize it until now, Bloomberg previously had 2 channels a FAST simulcast called Bloomberg UHD+ and then recently the HD feed went to the same layout. I thought they were just downscaling the UHD feed, however almost all the content save for the indices are different they both have the TV schedule pop up but HD seemed more detailed on interview guests than UHD. The news on UHD is more of a paragraph contrasted to the HD which has bullet points 

11 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Are they still trying to work in the WUPL branding on the WWL shows (on the bug), even though the only common denominator is the 7-9am newscast that ended up there because CBS forced them to carry CBS This Morning once and for all?

In the newscasts, no. The bug just cycles through the logo in my post and the WWLTV.com logo, even when the morning news moves to WUPL. (AFAIK, WUPL still has a 6:30pm newscast too.)

Also, the morning traffic anchor confirmed WWL also received new theme music exclusive to them. There's definitely more jazzy horn elements.

Here's this morning's open - they started with the wrong bug in the L3s but corrected quickly.

https://www.wwltv.com/video/news/live_stream/wwl-louisiana-morning-news-at-430-am/289-c9822f51-4e97-441f-9f26-a4e4abe98d0f

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, FiveNews said:

@TheRob I believe you are working in the KC market. What happened to Megan Dillard at Fox4? Is she out of the business? Enjoyed watching her on weekends.

She is out of the business. She went into P.R. for a school district and sued the TV station for discrimination (moved to federal court, not sure where it stands now).

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 10:38 AM, mightynine said:

Also, the morning traffic anchor confirmed WWL also received new theme music exclusive to them. There's definitely more jazzy horn elements.

They should've had that music a lot sooner than they did; it's a bop that works for the area and the time of day.

On 11/20/2023 at 2:43 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Wendell Edwards out at WFSB... What gets me is he just loves to move all over the country.. I can easily count 6 stations he's been at over the past 20 years...

KOCO was one, WBMA was another.

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast

37 minutes ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Lemme ask you something. Who in their right mind even has the HARD-WORKING HANDS to leave a news station to be a person in a school?

I can think of at least half a dozen friends from my 15 years in news who have jumped to school district communications jobs. 

Holidays off, stable hours outside of the occasional evening school board meeting, an employer who won't be going anywhere any time soon, government benefits, and storytelling about the good things schools are doing rather than covering the crime of the day. 

And the school district gets a trusted person in the community to serve as the face and voice of the district in their internal communication channels and external earned media opportunities. 

No job outside of news is perfect, but this is a regular escape route for people who get out.

• Like 11