Out & About

TexasTVNews

3 hours ago, DENDude said:

KUSA / KTVD Sports director Rod Mackey announced  that he is signing off today after 23 years at KUSA. He is not saying what his future plans are just yet.

No one has been named Sports director yet. 

He is the 4th longest tenured on air person currently at KUSA. 

I saw his (kind of) cryptic tweet (Xeet?) before he made the announcement. It all seemed rather abrupt. I’m assuming he has another gig lined up, but we shall see…

6 hours ago, Recovering Producer said:

Anne Trujillo has been there forever, through the CBS-ABC switch and then some. Congrats Anne! She must be one of the last pre-affiliation switch personalities on any Denver station. I wonder if she ever got letters from C-Band viewers?

13 hours ago, KRAP-TV said:

I saw his (kind of) cryptic tweet (Xeet?) before he made the announcement. It all seemed rather abrupt. I’m assuming he has another gig lined up, but we shall see…

Down five channels and a few blocks north... 

Edited by Recovering Producer
Trigger happy before pasting in tweet
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 12:36 PM, mrschimpf said:

The inevitable has happened; RNN Associates, which turned several major market stations into zombies carrying ShopHQ programming, has purchased ShopHQ's parent company out of (duh) Chapter 11 bankruptcy...

Not anymore. The sale to RNN is off. ShopHQ's new white knight is a company owned by the founder of 5-Hour Energy. More from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

And this guy is just getting started. It looks like he's looking to be a major-minor player in broadcast media.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
Added link to related article
  • Thought-Provoking 1

In Charlotte, QC talk show hostess Cheryl Brayboy has left WBTV, where she was regular talent on the morning and afternoon talk shows. The afternoon show may be cut to half an hour as Gray is adding an investigative news show in September. I always wanted to see WBTV promote her to the anchor desk, as she is a good anchor/reporter and would be nice to add another African American anchor.

7 minutes ago, tylerSC said:

In Charlotte, QC talk show hostess Cheryl Brayboy has left WBTV, where she was regular talent on the morning and afternoon talk shows. The afternoon show may be cut to half an hour as Gray is adding an investigative news show in September. I always wanted to see WBTV promote her to the anchor desk, as she is a good anchor/reporter and would be nice to add another African American anchor.

She was replaced by Jorge Andres this week. It hasn’t been announced by the station but yes QC @3 will likely be cut to a half hour because WBTV plans on airing on InvestigateTV+ at 3:30pm starting September 11.

Edited by Nelson R.

16 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

She was replaced by Jorge Andres this week. It hasn’t been announced by the station but yes QC @3 will likely be cut to a half hour because WBTV plans on airing on InvestigateTV+ at 3:30pm starting September 11.

16 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

I was disappointed to see Cheryl depart, as it seemed rather abrupt. Perhaps because they are cutting back on the afternoon show which may have resulted in a salary cut. Not sure about such personnel matters, but just sorry to see her go. I wish they would have found her a spot on one of the news programs, as she is appealing talent and did a good job.

Also in Charlotte, former WBTV meteorologist Leigh Brock popped up again on WSOC as a Saturday fill in. Wish they would give her a permanent gig as she is appealing talent and a good weather presenter. Not sure why she was dropped by WBTV to begin with, as she was well liked and has been missed.

They did recently hire Eric Garlick at WBTV to replace the late Jason Myers. Good weatherman, strong presentation.

1 hour ago, tylerSC said:

I was disappointed to see Cheryl depart, as it seemed rather abrupt. Perhaps because they are cutting back on the afternoon show which may have resulted in a salary cut. Not sure about such personnel matters, but just sorry to see her go. I wish they would have found her a spot on one of the news programs, as she is appealing talent and did a good job.

Also in Charlotte, former WBTV meteorologist Leigh Brock popped up again on WSOC as a Saturday fill in. Wish they would give her a permanent gig as she is appealing talent and a good weather presenter. Not sure why she was dropped by WBTV to begin with, as she was well liked and has been missed.

They did recently hire Eric Garlick at WBTV to replace the late Jason Myers. Good weatherman, strong presentation.

They also did not renew Bekah Birdsall’s contract. I wasn’t aware of that for a couple months. I figured it out though when they hired the girl from WRAL to do traffic and anchor at noon. Letting Bekah go didn’t sit well with me, I thought she was done dirty, a meteorologist being relegated to traffic duty and then just let go after doing a good job, but her personal life is going better, she has since gotten engaged.  https://x.com/weatherbbird/status/1658835880813928449?s=46&t=L_8SY8aG39Aa8y7vEhNEAw

https://x.com/weatherbbird/status/1665800092610117633?s=46&t=L_8SY8aG39Aa8y7vEhNEAw

Edited by Nelson R.

• 2 weeks later...

KXAS is beginning their 75th anniversary celebration with features airing on their newscasts all month.  They will have a special section about the anniversary (including the features airing on their newscasts) on the station's website.  KXAS' actual anniversary is September 29.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/the_history_of_channel_5/1838273/

WCNC Charlotte announced today that they hired WNCN anchor and reporter Nick Sturdivant as their evening news anchor. He'll be doing the 4pm newscast along with Jane Monreal and the weekend evening newscasts. 

https://www.wcnc.com/article/about-us/wcnc-charlotte-award-winning-journalist-nick-sturdivant/275-30efa6c8-04d0-4d8e-b908-cad1e2ca2bb1

2 hours ago, AaronQ said:

WCNC Charlotte announced today that they hired WNCN anchor and reporter Nick Sturdivant as their evening news anchor. He'll be doing the 4pm newscast along with Jane Monreal and the weekend evening newscasts. 

https://www.wcnc.com/article/about-us/wcnc-charlotte-award-winning-journalist-nick-sturdivant/275-30efa6c8-04d0-4d8e-b908-cad1e2ca2bb1

Another good addition along with Colin Mayfield who came from a Hearst station in Cincinnati. But what has happened to popular female anchor Carolyn Bruck? Is she on leave of absence again? She seems to have an on again, off again track record there.

1 hour ago, tylerSC said:

Another good addition along with Colin Mayfield who came from a Hearst station in Cincinnati. But what has happened to popular female anchor Carolyn Bruck? Is she on leave of absence again? She seems to have an on again, off again track record there.

She is no longer on the station website, and offers no hints of an employment change and any of her social media channels.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:24 PM, TheRob said:

This popped into PACER the other day. Here's a paywalled article on meteorologist Erin Little suing KCTV and Gray.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article279111029.html

They don't even feature her now as part of the weather team on-air. When they unveiled their new weather branding, she was absent from the promo.