Out & About

TexasTVNews

2 hours ago, ATLNEWS46 said:

Ron and Jennifer don't do the WATL Shows, Jeff Hullinger who got relegated to weekends this year still does the primetime news block which is TAPED at 7:00 and repeated at 8:00, 8:30, 9:00 and 9:30 with a Live 10:00 p.m. newscast. Maybe Faith and Johnathan will end up taking part of the primetime news block as well

Ahh thanks for the clarification. I did see Ron and Jennifer and sometimes Jeff so I was confused as to whether Jeff was the substitute or the main. 

That's good that they're taped instead of live newscasts from 8-11pm.

Edited by MediaZone4K

The inevitable has happened; RNN Associates, which turned several major market stations into zombies carrying ShopHQ programming, has purchased ShopHQ's parent company out of (duh) Chapter 11 bankruptcy. They're probably going to keep their viewer-hostile 'only appeal to 50+ers until they're in the grave' strategy going.

Great job, FCC; your spectrum auction turned a broadcaster into a shopping network-owning literal waste of electricity for a channel that should've died decades ago but hangs on because of must-carry. Really great for that 'diversity of voices' thing you used to judge licensees on in the old days. 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 4

3 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

The inevitable has happened; RNN Associates, which turned several major market stations into zombies carrying ShopHQ programming, has purchased ShopHQ's parent company out of (duh) Chapter 11 bankruptcy. They're probably going to keep their viewer-hostile 'only appeal to 50+ers until they're in the grave' strategy going.

Great job, FCC; your spectrum auction turned a broadcaster into a shopping network-owning literal waste of electricity for a channel that should've died decades ago but hangs on because of must-carry. Really great for that 'diversity of voices' thing you used to judge licensees on in the old days. 🙄

How long until RNN goes bankrupt itself?

KTXL Chief Meteorologist Kristina Werner is no longer at the station.  By the sound of her tweet, it wasn't her choice.  She was given no on-air goodbye (She was there 23+ years).  Adam Epstein is now the new chief.

Edited by MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie
added words

WTVG in Toledo just aired an hour-long special to commemorate its 75th anniversary.  It was a decent tribute.

https://www.13abc.com/2023/07/11/13abc-celebrates-75th-anniversary-with-hour-long-special/

You can also buy a vintage “13 Strong” t-shirt for a very reasonable $13:

https://www.jupmodesupply.com/collections/13abc-strong-75th-anniversary-13abc75

On 7/17/2023 at 7:12 AM, TheRob said:

Morning anchor leaves KCPQ:

https://www.fox13seattle.com/video/1248998

Congrats Liz! Good luck in your future endeavors.

Meanwhile, at KIMA Yakima, Jake Taylor is leaving after 6 years at the station. He was our main anchor after Scott Stovall moved down to KEPR. Jake is moving back home, he said (I think he's from Utah). 

The replacement? A British-accented man. John Kennedy O'Connor, previously of KIEM Eureka and has done tons of work in Europe, especially for the Eurovision Song Contest. Lots of contributions to BBC/Channel 5/Sky News. Congrats John!

2 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Congrats Liz! Good luck in your future endeavors.

Meanwhile, at KIMA Yakima, Jake Taylor is leaving after 6 years at the station. He was our main anchor after Scott Stovall moved down to KEPR. Jake is moving back home, he said (I think he's from Utah). 

The replacement? A British-accented man. John Kennedy O'Connor, previously of KIEM Eureka and has done tons of work in Europe, especially for the Eurovision Song Contest. Lots of contributions to BBC/Channel 5/Sky News. Congrats John!

JKOC is awesome.  Surprising to see him in Yakima.  He left KIEM to work for a local online news publication.

I was plenty shocked when I first heard him talk. I expected a young anchor out of college or a Latino anchor given the demographics of our area (we just passed 50% Hispanic/Latino in the last census). I bet he has plenty of stories to share from his days of covering Eurovision and his time growing up in England.

*Has there ever been another British lead anchor in a US local news department before? I know we had Jenni Hogan who did traffic in Seattle, mostly KIRO, for a few years, and she's from Australia or New Zealand...and I know KTVV Austin had Anne Fulwood in the 1980s, also from Australia.*

On 7/25/2023 at 6:34 PM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

I was plenty shocked when I first heard him talk. I expected a young anchor out of college or a Latino anchor given the demographics of our area (we just passed 50% Hispanic/Latino in the last census). I bet he has plenty of stories to share from his days of covering Eurovision and his time growing up in England.

*Has there ever been another British lead anchor in a US local news department before? I know we had Jenni Hogan who did traffic in Seattle, mostly KIRO, for a few years, and she's from Australia or New Zealand...and I know KTVV Austin had Anne Fulwood in the 1980s, also from Australia.*

WDEF had a dude that was from Ireland (I think). Don't know if he anchored much though.

Former longtime WALA chief meteorologist John Edd Thompson was attacked at a gas station this past Tuesday.

https://www.fox10tv.com/2023/07/28/retired-fox10-chief-meteorologist-john-edd-thompson-attacked-81st-birthday/

Thankfully, he is ok.  Why someone would do this to an 81 year old man, even one that is considered legendary in the Mobile area is absolutely sickening.

• Angry 6

4 hours ago, Chase29 said:

Meteorologist Carly Cassady will be departing KDVR. 

I'm not surprised at all. She wanted to do more weather forecasting, not live in the field reports. The station pushed her on the latter very hard and thus is why she is getting out.

I've never seen her in the studio during severe weather coverage, only in the field. She's a meteorologist but the way she worked and was treated, it didn't feel like it at all.

• Empathetic 1

Hutch Johnson is out as Chief Met at KVLY/Fargo after 16 years.

All comes after Gray posted for his job Apperantly much to his surprise. Lots of rumor locally about what really happened

Edit: The job is still posted on Gray's website. Weird they're getting rid of the (arguably) most recognizable face and name the station has with seemingly no replacement plan...

Edited by GodfreyGR

On 7/25/2023 at 6:34 PM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

There's Ashley Webster, a Fox Business alum and formerly from WZTV in Nashville and WGBA in Green Bay; he's also a UK native

KUSA / KTVD Sports director Rod Mackey announced  that he is signing off today after 23 years at KUSA. He is not saying what his future plans are just yet.

No one has been named Sports director yet. 

He is the 4th longest tenured on air person currently at KUSA.