Out & About

TexasTVNews

2 hours ago, TresGriffin said:

Ah cool. WDSU was the last time I saw him so didn't know he moved.

Let's not forget Lonnie Quinn was a soap opera actor on All My Children before he went on to be a weathercaster at WTVJ and currently CBS 2 (WCBS) New York.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TresGriffin said:

What is up with these soap actors getting jobs as news anchors? First Charles Divins (Chad on "Passions") gets a job anchoring mornings at WDSU, and later Spectrum News 1 Texas, and now this.

Divins also was a co-host of The Daily Buzz (since revived as The Daily Flash) for a few years prior to its initial cancellation.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

15 hours ago, MD TV said:

KFSN is launching a 3PM newscast in September and will join the other California O&O's in airing World News Tonight at 3:30:

https://abc30.com/abc30-live-at-3-action-news-new-show-vanessa-vasconcelos/13432962/

If I had to guess, WABC, WPVI, and WTVD will be the next to add 3pm newscasts. 

• Sad 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

Kate Merriman is leaving WGAL.  

https://www.facebook.com/KateMerrimanWGAL/posts/pfbid0YAcAHCkmWL3und3nbqY9pbw2WeFpobYV1icDJD1BeyU5U1kCgQz1AUJnEzjF1is7l

Best wishes to her in her new adventures!  Her replacement, Jake Reyes has already started.  He is from Florida.

https://www.facebook.com/JakeReyesWGAL

-- Matt

On 6/30/2023 at 6:56 PM, MD TV said:

KFSN is launching a 3PM newscast in September and will join the other California O&O's in airing World News Tonight at 3:30:

https://abc30.com/abc30-live-at-3-action-news-new-show-vanessa-vasconcelos/13432962/

I'm assuming they will be airing the eastern feed "live" and airing the pacific feed at it's normal time (6:30?)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'm assuming they will be airing the eastern feed "live" and airing the pacific feed at it's normal time (6:30?)

KFSN airs WNT at their normal time @ 5:30 (like KGO).

Edited by CircleSeven

35 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It seems Pacific Time takes a little more liberty with things because of the delay, yet keeps primetime mostly on Eastern's schedule (aside from some "early prime" experiments over the years)

So basically Eastern Time is the only time zone that regularly airs network newscasts at 6:30 local time in most markets? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It seems Pacific Time takes a little more liberty with things because of the delay, yet keeps primetime mostly on Eastern's schedule (aside from some "early prime" experiments over the years)

It’s why KCBS can air CBS Mornings twice from 4-6am and 7-9am.

3 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

It’s why KCBS can air CBS Mornings twice from 4-6am and 7-9am.

Any PT station could if they wanted.

45 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I thought the “normal” time was 6:30pm for PT.

11 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Any PT station could if they wanted.

I thought the “normal” time was 6:30pm for PT.

Nah, I think the primary "West Coast edition" feed of the national shows is still at 5:30pm PT. For a long time, only the LA market aired the national shows in the East Coast-style 6:30pm timeslot, but it's kindof all over the place now. However, if you look around markets out West, the hour-long 6:00pm show (with national news at 5:30) is still pretty commonplace. 

• Like 3

WREG Chief Meteorologist Tim Simpson announced tonight during the 6:00pm news that he will be retiring after nearly three decades at the station.

His final day has not been determined yet, but he said on-air that he'll be there for a few more weeks before moving to South Carolina to be closer to his family.

https://wreg.com/news/weather-expert-tim-simpson-retiring-after-29-years/

KPRC/Houston has added a third hour to its Saturday morning news: 6-7, 8-9 and now 9-10 as of this past weekend. 

Also, they will be replacing Dr. Phil at 3 p.m. with a 3 p.m. newscast this fall. 

These on-air additions — plus recently expanding their morning online stream from 7-8 a.m. to 7-9 a.m. — are all happening after they canceled their 4:30 a.m. newscast earlier this year over what they alleged at the time was a shortage of hiring and keeping producers. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Greggo said:

KPRC/Houston has added a third hour to its Saturday morning news: 6-7, 8-9 and now 9-10 as of this past weekend. 

Also, they will be replacing Dr. Phil at 3 p.m. with a 3 p.m. newscast this fall. 

These on-air additions — plus recently expanding their morning online stream from 7-8 a.m. to 7-9 a.m. — are all happening after they canceled their 4:30 a.m. newscast earlier this year over what they alleged at the time was a shortage of hiring and keeping producers. 

I thought it was just 6-7 and 9-10am and now putting in the 8am hour, but I guess I was wrong.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:07 AM, caliwxdude said:

Nah, I think the primary "West Coast edition" feed of the national shows is still at 5:30pm PT. For a long time, only the LA market aired the national shows in the East Coast-style 6:30pm timeslot, but it's kindof all over the place now. However, if you look around markets out West, the hour-long 6:00pm show (with national news at 5:30) is still pretty commonplace. 

Seattle 

ABC affiliate KOMO - 

local news 3:30-4p, 4p-5p, 5p-530p

WNT 530p-6p

local news 6p-7p

NBC affiliate KING - 

local news 4p-6p

nightly news 6p-630p

local news 630p-730p

CBS affiliate KIRO

local news 4p-630p

CBS evening news 630p-7p

local news 7p-730p

3 minutes ago, JoseRM303 said:

Seattle 

ABC affiliate KOMO - 

local news 3:30-4p, 4p-5p, 5p-530p

WNT 530p-6p

local news 6p-7p

NBC affiliate KING - 

local news 4p-6p

nightly news 6p-630p

local news 630p-730p

CBS affiliate KIRO

local news 4p-630p

CBS evening news 630p-7p

local news 7p-730p

So I guess it varies by station.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MD TV said:

Jonathan Martin, previously of KRIV, is joining WXIA:

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/article/jonathan-martin-joins-wxia-atlanta-as-4-p-m-anchor/

Of note is that he's anchoring a new 4PM newscast that's starting in September.

I was hoping 11 Alive didn't go the 4:00 p.m. route as it had one of the few non news options at 4. Then again, what syndication choices do they really have anymore? They've got paid programming at on weekday as the lead in to the noon news.

John should be a good fit. It's great that Faith Jessie will get another newscast as Ron and Jennifer Anchor ALOT of shows between 11 Alive and WATL. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

I was hoping 11 Alive didn't go the 4:00 p.m. route as it had one of the few non news options at 4. Then again, what syndication choices do they really have anymore? They've got paid programming at on weekday as the lead in to the noon news.

John should be a good fit. It's great that Faith Jessie will get another newscast as Ron and Jennifer Anchor ALOT of shows between 11 Alive and WATL. 

Ron and Jennifer don't do the WATL Shows, Jeff Hullinger who got relegated to weekends this year still does the primetime news block which is TAPED at 7:00 and repeated at 8:00, 8:30, 9:00 and 9:30 with a Live 10:00 p.m. newscast. Maybe Faith and Johnathan will end up taking part of the primetime news block as well

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2