Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 2/3/2023 at 11:59 AM, TheRob said:

It looks like the ice has damaged KXAN's (and KLRU) tower. KXAN's OTA signal is off.

Edit to add: KLRU's problems appear to have preceded the storm.

Looks like KXAN is off the air long-term.

image.png.3351635a0b1213989442d31939b92909.png

2 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

What is going on with WDIV?  They are losing people right and left, and bringing back people who already left.  Are they preparing to go Indy?  

Independent based on what??? Where/why are you getting the impression that WDIV is in a bad place with NBC?

People are leaving stations all over the country, in droves. Yes, some operations are getting hit harder than others, but this is a problem for the whole industry.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Independent based on what??? Where/why are you getting the impression that WDIV is in a bad place with NBC?

People are leaving stations all over the country, in droves. Yes, some operations are getting hit harder than others, but this is a problem for the whole industry.

Just speculation, based on some questionable decisions WDIV has made, in relation to NBC.

• Confused 1
  • Concerned 1

15 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

What is going on with WDIV?  They are losing people right and left, and bringing back people who already left.  Are they preparing to go Indy?  

Interesting. The Graham station in Houston, KPRC, has been hit hard too. Lots of abrupt departures in recent months, including midday and 4p anchor Christine Noel, 5p anchor Lauren Freeman, Houston Life co-anchor Courtney Zavala, Houston Life reporter Joe Sam and the news director, who had been in the market for nearly two decades (first at KTRK). Plus a morning anchor change-up, bringing back a former anchor and bumping the current anchor to middays and 4p. 

Bizarre programming changes too, including canceling the 4:30a newscast, sticking a day-old rerun of ET between the 11a and noon newscasts and moving Houston Life back to its old, less desirable timeslot.

Some of this is no doubt related to getting a new GM after the old one retired, but it still seems excessive. I’m wondering if it’s more indicative of potential turmoil at Graham corporate as opposed to station-specific issues.

Meteorologist and former The Price Is Right announcer Rich Fields is no longer at WTSP. His bio disappeared from the station’s website and he edited his LinkedIn to reflect he left the station this month. He was also hosting a weekly podcast with Dave Wagner called Come On Down that shared his stories of being an announcer on The Price Is Right and how he got the job. I had a suspicion he left or was let go because he stopped doing the podcast before Thanksgiving. He shared that the station was building a podcast studio for him and he should have new podcasts in December but nothing new was produced.

I admittedly don’t watch WTSP so I don’t know when he was last on-air.

• Sad 1
  • Empathetic 1

On 2/13/2023 at 1:49 PM, jerseyfla said:

Meteorologist and former The Price Is Right announcer Rich Fields is no longer at WTSP. His bio disappeared from the station’s website and he edited his LinkedIn to reflect he left the station this month. He was also hosting a weekly podcast with Dave Wagner called Come On Down that shared his stories of being an announcer on The Price Is Right and how he got the job. I had a suspicion he left or was let go because he stopped doing the podcast before Thanksgiving. He shared that the station was building a podcast studio for him and he should have new podcasts in December but nothing new was produced.

I admittedly don’t watch WTSP so I don’t know when he was last on-air.

Wow! I guess the station being #4 in the market and me rarely watching their newscasts prevented this from become viral! Rich was trying to make a miserable joke on-air back in early November that backfired and racially profiled a reporter. And from the comments on the Twitter video link, former co-workers from KCBS weren’t surprised. 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/11/20/why-would-you-say-that#google_vignette

Rich then posted on his FB yesterday that he is stepping away from broadcasting and will become a motivational speaker. Many game show fans were worried about him after he abruptly stopped his Come On Down Podcast. 

5C1F3AA9-BE10-41D2-9EBC-D2ED4972D304.jpeg

• Sad 2

On 2/10/2023 at 12:23 PM, CircleWXYZ said:

Just speculation, based on some questionable decisions WDIV has made, in relation to NBC.

If these rumors were true NBC would have left them long ago during the '94 affiliation switch. Yes they do pre-empt stuff, but it's 2023; whatever they pre-empt is on Peacock within hours, the days of Matlock movie pre-emptions for make-goods are over, and it's local programming pre-empting NBC shows, not whatever screed Franklin Graham has cued up to air nationally. WDIV and NBC are fine.

As for the Rich Fields stuff it makes the move to George Gray make much more sense in hindsight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoseRM303 said:

Changes coming to WRC (NBC O&O) in Washington, DC:

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/tony-perkins-to-join-wrc-in-washington-d-c-pat-lawson-muse-to-retire/247286/

- Tony Perkins to join as morning co-anchor 

- Pat Lawson-Muse to retire 

- Eun Yang moves to co-anchoring the 4 & 6 pm newscasts 

That's what, the third high-profile retirement on that station in less than 6 months.

Erika Gonzalez last month said that she was permanently moving to the 11am newscast, so I should've figured that time was getting slim for Pat.

4 hours ago, JoseRM303 said:

Changes coming to WRC (NBC O&O) in Washington, DC:

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/tony-perkins-to-join-wrc-in-washington-d-c-pat-lawson-muse-to-retire/247286/

- Tony Perkins to join as morning co-anchor 

- Pat Lawson-Muse to retire 

- Eun Yang moves to co-anchoring the 4 & 6 pm newscasts 

So it’ll be Tony & Jumi in AM, Leon & Eun at 4&6, and Jim & Shawn at 5&11? Surprised they don’t just rotate anchors for the 11am and keep Erika on weekends. 

16 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

So it’ll be Tony & Jumi in AM, Leon & Eun at 4&6, and Jim & Shawn at 5&11? Surprised they don’t just rotate anchors for the 11am and keep Erika on weekends. 

At least they keep the tradition of a "Jim" at 6 and 11 p.m.

• Like 1