Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 6/9/2022 at 1:09 AM, KRAP-TV said:

Shiba Russell signed off for the last time at WXIA 11 Alive. I have a feeling she will be a network correspondent in the DC area or an anchor in Philly. Sad to see her go. Atlanta viewers seemed to have taken a liking to Ms Russell. Best of luck to her! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Wow. From the Big Apple to the Big "D".

Interesting move here but why would she leave 'PIX for 'TVT?

CBS' local news innovation lab will be based out of Dallas: https://variety.com/2022/biz/news/cbs-stations-texas-local-news-innovation-lab-1235151080/.

The greater exposure, I'm sure, was one reason for the move.

11 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Wow. From the Big Apple to the Big "D".

Interesting move here but why would she leave 'PIX for 'TVT?

She left WPIX-TV several months ago, so I don't think Dallas was specifically on her mind at the time. She probably just needed a break, or maybe didn't get a fair contract offer from Nexstar.

• Like 1

WALA FOX 10 is expanding Studio 10 to TWO hours and adding a midday newscast this fall.  Not sure if the midday news will be on at 11am or noon.  Joe Emer announced this morning on Good Day Gulf Coast, and he will be moving to these new shows, bringing Eric Reynolds back to the program with Sarah Wall. Eric currently anchors the 4:30-7am portion.

That's the first time I've seen a lifestyle program expand to 2 hours....has this happened anywhere else?

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WALA FOX 10 is expanding Studio 10 to TWO hours and adding a midday newscast this fall.  Not sure if the midday news will be on at 11am or noon.  Joe Emer announced this morning on Good Day Gulf Coast, and he will be moving to these new shows, bringing Eric Reynolds back to the program with Sarah Wall. Eric currently anchors the 4:30-7am portion.

That's the first time I've seen a lifestyle program expand to 2 hours....has this happened anywhere else?

KPRC in Houston recently posted a help wanted ad for their lifestyle show, “Houston Life,” that said it would expand in 2023. It’s already an hour, so it stands to reason it could soon be 2. 2 hours strikes me as a lot for a station the size of WALA.

Edited by Greggo

13 minutes ago, Greggo said:

KPRC in Houston recently posted a help wanted ad for their lifestyle show, “Houston Life,” that said it would expand in 2023. It’s already an hour, so it stands to reason it could soon be 2. 2 hours strikes me as a lot for a station the size of WALA.

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Maybe WBTV could expand QC Morning to 2 hours and move LMAD back to 3? But would suck if the game show block is split up.

32 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Maybe WBTV could expand QC Morning to 2 hours and move LMAD back to 3? But would suck if the game show block is split up.

In WALA's case, it's filling the two hours for the outgoing The Real at 10 and Nick Cannon at 11.  Wasn't Judge Jerry cancelled as well?

If they do two hours of Studio 10 and a 2 hour Midday newscast, that would be 8 1/2 hours of local news and programming.   I know Gray is ramping up their local news and programming efforts, but this could be the most of any market in the country up to this point, and a sign of things to come for local TV as we know it...

• Like 1

Interesting news about the news in Dallas: The Spectrum News 1 North Texas feed will be simulcast over the air on Weigel’s KAZD. This will air around the clock, 7 days a week — except for a break on the weekends to show E/I programming. The financial arrangement isn’t entirely clear — is Spectrum paying Weigel or is Weigel paying Spectrum? I can’t see this getting many viewers, but who knows?!? 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/6/28/moving-from-cable-to-broadcast

2 hours ago, Greggo said:

Interesting news about the news in Dallas: The Spectrum News 1 North Texas feed will be simulcast over the air on Weigel’s KAZD. This will air around the clock, 7 days a week — except for a break on the weekends to show E/I programming. The financial arrangement isn’t entirely clear — is Spectrum paying Weigel or is Weigel paying Spectrum? I can’t see this getting many viewers, but who knows?!? 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/6/28/moving-from-cable-to-broadcast

So that explains why Decades (currently on 55.2) is moving to 55.6.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:23 PM, Superdude said:

https://www.pbrtv.com/powers-coming-to-wtae-tv/

WTAE-TV (4) announced Tuesday the appointment of Kristen Powers as co-anchor of the 11:00 p.m. weeknight newscast along side Mike Clark. Powers comes to Pittsburgh from Washington, D.C. where she has worked at Sinclair owned WJLA-TV (7).

In addition to Washington, Powers has also worked at stations in California. She has a master’s in Broadcast and Digital Journalism from Syracuse University. She earned her bachelor’s at Marquette University in her hometown – Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Powers says she’s admired Pittsburgh for years and is looking forward to calling the area home. She is also looking forward to getting involved with local charities. She will be on the air beginning in late June.

Here is Kristen Powers' debut Newscast which aired on WTAE last night.  You can also see former WSAZ reporter Tori Yorgey in this newscast as well (the reporter that was hit by a car on live TV).

11 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Amanda Cox leaving WJZY and getting out of TV. 

I used to travel for work, and would watch as much local TV news as possible. I remember her from WFMZ. She was pregnant with her first child at that time. According to her Twitter bio, she now has three children.

Best of everything to her.

• Like 1

KXAN/Austin is expanding its 430p newscast to a full hour this week. Jennifer Sanders will anchor, in addition to adding the noon news to her duties following Friday’s departure of Amanda Dugan. First-run Jeopardy and Daytime Jeopardy will air at 3p and 330p. (First-run Jeopardy had been airing at 4p on KXAN.) Dr. Phil, which had been airing at 3p, slides to 2p, and displaced Rachael Ray gets bumped to 3p on sister station KBVO (MyTV). Daytime Jeopardy had been airing at 530p on sister station KNVA (CW) and is being replaced by a 4th run of Family Feud. Family Feud will now air for 2 straight hours on KNVA: 5p to 7p. 

On 6/30/2022 at 5:21 PM, Greggo said:

Interesting news about the news in Dallas: The Spectrum News 1 North Texas feed will be simulcast over the air on Weigel’s KAZD. This will air around the clock, 7 days a week — except for a break on the weekends to show E/I programming.

Along with this, Spectrum has just launched all of their news channels (outside the NY1 Road and Rail channel) nationwide on the Spectrum TV apps (mobile and STB) in the 2200s channel tier. They had been only available through the Spectrum News mobile app previously, so at least they're more widely available, if not through traditional cable.