Out & About

TexasTVNews

Former WBTV meteorologist Leigh Brock has resurfaced at rival WSOC. UPDATE: She is just filling in.

Also I’m way late on this one but Grace Grill has joined the WJZY sports team. Grace Remington has apparently left after less than a year at the station. 

ADE4A64E-A337-413E-BAFB-C57DB1D1444A.jpeg

Edited by Nelson R.

WAVE announced Friday that they will be moving around anchors starting Monday. Shannon Cogan is leaving evenings to anchor WAVE Sunrise. Connie Leonard is leaving Sunrise for the WAVE Troubleshooter team starting next Monday and Brian Shlonsky to evening reporter start this Thursday. WAVE hasn’t said who will be co-anchoring (if anyone) with Cogan. For those haven’t kept track, WAVE Sunrise has been losing viewers since Lauren Jones was cut by the station in 2020. WDRB currently holds first place in the mornings with WLKY I believe in second place followed by WAVE and WHAS. 

Anyway, here is the full statement from WAVE. https://www.wave3.com/2022/06/10/exciting-changes-coming-wave-news-staff/

Edited by EVVTV12

On 6/8/2022 at 2:13 PM, Greggo said:

It appears those rumors from FTV and others about Sinclair moving KFDM/Beaumont to WOAI/San Antonio aren’t true. KFDM broke ground on a new building today, which will replace the current one, which has been condemned by the state as part of a freeway expansion project. KFDM is moving to the opposite side of town from where they are now. Building will open next year. 

https://www.facebook.com/79318758755/posts/pfbid02mSyNoF7zsEBMuX4VfAiEWTQVYNbpF29BtFuJzzRUqiQMzsEuamjvAX2dfgWTRGWVl/

That's good to hear.  I figured that a potential move to San Antonio would be overkill, especially since that operation handles their 3 stations and does news for Winston-Salem.

Hopefully they were compensated well for the eminent domain to overtake their current facility.

Katy Tur of MSNBC sits down with NPR (WHYY's Fresh Air). She details the relationship with her father, the former Bob Tur. Now known as Zoey Tur. Bob was the helicopter pilot at KCBS and KCOP in Los Angeles who covered several stories including the OJ chase and the Reginald Denny beating. Great interview, lots of insight into the behind the scenes of the business. Additionally, Katy provides a lot of detail into the strained relationship between herself and her dad.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/13/1103933870/msnbc-news-anchor-katy-tur-rough-draft

10 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Katy Tur of MSNBC sits down with NPR (WHYY's Fresh Air). She details the relationship with her father, the former Bob Tur. Now known as Zoey Tur. Bob was the helicopter pilot at KCBS and KCOP in Los Angeles who covered several stories including the OJ chase and the Reginald Denny beating. Great interview, lots of insight into the behind the scenes of the business. Additionally, Katy provides a lot of detail into the strained relationship between herself and her dad.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/13/1103933870/msnbc-news-anchor-katy-tur-rough-draft

She is promoting her new book, which focuses much on her father (mother) and mother.  There was an article in yesterday NYTimes as well and she plugged the book at the end of her MSNBC show.

Telemundo 31 in Orlando moved into their new building recently, but they did a WBBM and moved the news department last to the new building. Here is the open and a partial view of the desk and video wall. It reminds me of a mix of KDKA and WSCV. Telemundo 31 uploaded a few pictures to their instagram as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CewqU2POfAG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by Amra
  • Like 1

WVUE evening anchor Kim Holden announced her retirement during the 5 pm newscast today. She started at the station in 1988 as an intern, then worked her way up to the evening anchor desk, where she has been for the past 12 years. Her retirement is effective in a couple of weeks. I believe Angela Hill has been an anchor in New Orleans longer than she has.

*Man, I'm getting old. The New Orleans market is losing another giant in local TV news*

Kim Holden announces retirement after 34 years at Fox 8

Edited by PelicanGuy
Added story link.
  • Like 1

In Houston, KRIV Fox 26's Mike Iscovitz has been promoted to Chief Meteorologist for the station; he will continue to work the weekday morning and midday newscasts, unusual for a chief meteorologist anywhere in the country (usually C.M.'s work the weekday evening news).

mikemcguff.com: Mike Iscovitz promoted to chief meteorologist for FOX 26 Houston

Additionally, former KBMT, KXAS and WEWS meteorologist Remeisha Shade has joined KRIV as their weekday meteorologist, meaning she will do the weekday evening newscasts starting in September 2022.

mikemcguff.com: Remeisha Shade joins FOX 26 weather

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 2:28 AM, Amra said:

Telemundo 31 in Orlando moved into their new building recently, but they did a WBBM and moved the news department last to the new building. Here is the open and a partial view of the desk and video wall. It reminds me of a mix of KDKA and WSCV. Telemundo 31 uploaded a few pictures to their instagram as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CewqU2POfAG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Wow! All that effort for an LPTV station?

On 6/16/2022 at 7:13 PM, H-Town TV Fan said:

In Houston, KRIV Fox 26's Mike Iscovitz has been promoted to Chief Meteorologist for the station; he will continue to work the weekday morning and midday newscasts, unusual for a chief meteorologist anywhere in the country (usually C.M.'s work the weekday evening news).

mikemcguff.com: Mike Iscovitz promoted to chief meteorologist for FOX 26 Houston

Additionally, former KBMT, KXAS and WEWS meteorologist Remeisha Shade has joined KRIV as their weekday meteorologist, meaning she will do the weekday evening newscasts starting in September 2022.

Seems to me there are several CM's that work in the AM.. WXMI's Kevin Craig here in W. Michigan works AMs

Edited by MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie

On 6/16/2022 at 7:13 PM, H-Town TV Fan said:

And ironically enough, this will be the second time that KRIV’s chief meteorologist has worked the morning shift. Cecilia Sinclair was chief met from the late 90s to the late 2000s and served the last half of that on the morning program.

46 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

And ironically enough, this will be the second time that KRIV’s chief meteorologist has worked the morning shift. Cecilia Sinclair was chief met from the late 90s to the late 2000s and served the last half of that on the morning program.

IIRC, Cecilia was working nights as chief doing the weather at 9pm.

10 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Seems to me there are several CM's that work in the AM.. WXMI's Kevin Craig here in W. Michigan works AMs

WITI's Chief Rob Haswell is on the Wake-Up News and Midday.

So is WBAY's Chief Steve Beylon on morning, 9am and Noon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Wow! All that effort for an LPTV station?

I have a feeling in the future that Comcast will take those three LPTVs (WTMO-CD 31.1 Orlando / WKME-CD 31.1 Kissimmee / WMVJ-CD 31.1 Melbourne) and convert them into a full power outlet for WTMO (DT) on Channel 31.1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I have a feeling in the future that Comcast will take those three LPTVs (WTMO-CD 31.1 Orlando / WKME-CD 31.1 Kissimmee / WMVJ-CD 31.1 Melbourne) and convert them into a full power outlet for WTMO (DT) on Channel 31.1.

They would have to share spectrum with another full-power station; it's already on a subchannel of WRDQ (albeit in SD).

21 minutes ago, mvcg66b3r said:

They would have to share spectrum with another full-power station; it's already on a subchannel of WRDQ (albeit in SD).

That's fine with me but Channel 31 is the same Telemundo signal three times over to cover three different areas. Replace three low power signals with one full power signal across the whole market. If NBCUniversal went for this change, the FCC would so approve it in a heartbeat.

On 6/11/2022 at 9:34 PM, Nelson R. said:

Former WBTV meteorologist Leigh Brock has resurfaced at rival WSOC. UPDATE: She is just filling in.

Also I’m way late on this one but Grace Grill has joined the WJZY sports team. Grace Remington has apparently left after less than a year at the station. 

ADE4A64E-A337-413E-BAFB-C57DB1D1444A.jpeg

Nice to see Leigh Brock back on the air and filling in at WSOC. Wish it would be a permanent hire. Seems like a mistake for Gray to release her from WBTV. She was well liked and did a good job.

In Greenville-Spartanburg WHNS-21 anchor Cody Alcorn has announced he is leaving FOX Carolina and moving to Atlanta for personal reasons. No apparent plans yet to transfer to Gray sister station WGCL-CBS46, or FOX5 Atlanta. He has been a mainstay at WHNS for 16 years. Future plans yet unclear.

Edited by tylerSC

On 6/20/2022 at 11:02 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

That's fine with me but Channel 31 is the same Telemundo signal three times over to cover three different areas. Replace three low power signals with one full power signal across the whole market. If NBCUniversal went for this change, the FCC would so approve it in a heartbeat.

That might be what NBC is preparing the stations for. Telemundo 49 in Tampa also got a new building as well, with all state of the art equipment and studios as well.

10 hours ago, Amra said:

That might be what NBC is preparing the stations for. Telemundo 49 in Tampa also got a new building as well, with all state of the art equipment and studios as well.

I know Telemundo has other low-power O&Os to their roster but I think they should give more priority to it's newer Florida O&Os because of the Hispanic population throughout the state, especially in the areas it broadcasts in: Tampa Bay, Central Florida and yes, even Southwest Florida IMO should count towards this.