Out & About

TexasTVNews

Rumors of a potential COVID outbreak at 'PVI in Philly. I'm curious if something similar is going on at 30 Rock. I watched NBC News Now's "Morning News Now" this morning. Joe Fryer was in their main studio and Savannah Sellers was at an alternate location within 30 Rock.

Later in the morning NBCNN showed a lot of WNBC shooting coverage. I had no issue with this at all, the local angle is the best angle. Darlene Rodriguez and Michael Garguilo stayed on thru 1pm at the conclusion of their coverage. I know anchors in larger markets are well paid and these longer days are the exception. I just assumed the midday team would come in at some point and take over from Michael and Darlene. Not sure if another anchor was available due to quarantine/exposure or if they diverted all resources to being on the scene in Brooklyn.

16 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Rumors of a potential COVID outbreak at 'PVI in Philly. I'm curious if something similar is going on at 30 Rock. I watched NBC News Now's "Morning News Now" this morning. Joe Fryer was in their main studio and Savannah Sellers was at an alternate location within 30 Rock.

Later in the morning NBCNN showed a lot of WNBC shooting coverage. I had no issue with this at all, the local angle is the best angle. Darlene Rodriguez and Michael Garguilo stayed on thru 1pm at the conclusion of their coverage. I know anchors in larger markets are well paid and these longer days are the exception. I just assumed the midday team would come in at some point and take over from Michael and Darlene. Not sure if another anchor was available due to quarantine/exposure or if they diverted all resources to being on the scene in Brooklyn.

Stations in New York and Philadelphia, and to some extent Washington, are having illness problems right now. You don't make people work marathon double shifts in top ten markets unless it is an emergency.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheRob said:

Stations in New York and Philadelphia, and to some extent Washington, are having illness problems right now. You don't make people work marathon double shifts in top ten markets unless it is an emergency.

I think that's why some stations WABC and WLS are hesitating to go back to normal sitting. If I was an anchor, I would rather be distanced than sitting right next to someone. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 8:18 PM, ScottSchell said:

KOKI FOX23 meteorologist Michael Seger has left the station after 14 years yesterday was his last day at 23.  He will be announcing soon where he will be going and doing.

Michael is joining KJRH as the weekday Morning meteorologist and lead meteorologist storm chaser during severe weather he will start on air Tuesday.  Anne Brown will go back to Weekend Mornings ,Brandon Wholey will stay on Weekend Evenings, Chief Meteorologist Mike Coller says on Weekday Evenings, and Emma Landeros will be rotating covering shifts.

15 minutes ago, CarolinaWxGuy said:

Also TG Shuck has joined WTVQ as their Chief Meteorologist.

Didn't they just hire Jeff Andrews from WAOW a few months ago to be their chief? They seem to go through chiefs (and talent in general) like infants go through diapers. Not to mention, the previous chief, Jason Lindsay, didn't last long in that position either.

TG should rent, not buy, once Morris finds out he's not moving the needle.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sanewsguy said:

Didn't they just hire Jeff Andrews from WAOW a few months ago to be their chief? They seem to go through chiefs (and talent in general) like infants go through diapers. Not to mention, the previous chief, Jason Lindsay, didn't last long in that position either.

His post says Lexington his home and he's coming back again for a second stint. He's probably buying.

18 hours ago, sanewsguy said:

I think Morris is giving it a big college try - recently hiring Lexington media veteran Miranda Combs as news director.  Between this - and Lee and Hayley coming from WLEX after that controversy, perhaps they’re trying to better position WTVQ amid a likely weaker, Scripps-controlled WLEX?

NBC Connecticut (WVIT) has named a new 5:30pm co-anchor, replacing Kerri-Lee Mayland. Kerri-Lee took medical leave in early 2020, and announced in late 2021 that she would not be returning full-time to the anchor desk. She now fills-in on occasion.

During Kerri-Lee's absence, Leslie Mayes served as her primary fill-in on the 4 and 5:30pm newscast, while Kevin Nathan took over as solo anchor of the 11am newscast. In late 2021 Shannon Miller began co-anchoring at 4 and 5:30 with Kevin Nathan Mon-Wed (as well as her Sat/Sun evening anchoring duties) while Leslie co-anchored on Thurs/Fri and reported Mon-Wed.

In April 2022 - Amber Diaz joined NBC-CT from WTNH. Amber will serve as co-anchor of the 5:30pm newscast along side Kevin Nathan.

NBC CT has yet to announce a permanent 4pm co-anchor, 7pm anchor (replacing Dan Corcoran who departed several months ago) or weekend morning anchor.

19 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

His post says Lexington his home and he's coming back again for a second stint. He's probably buying.

He was at WKYT-27 from 1996 to 2012, so a lot of viewers should be familiar with him. It's a good hire.

But its going to take a lot more changes to move TVQ from a distance (now 4th place thanks to FOX56). 

On 4/12/2022 at 6:43 PM, FiveNews said:

I know anchors in larger markets are well paid and these longer days are the exception.

Well paid I wonder if their annual salaries are $500,000-1,000,000 or in that ballpark.

17 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Vanessa is a class act and the most caring person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and working with when I interned at WFTV. She was always there to help you and teach you new things, she was there to brighten your day if you had a not so good day. I know she will be missed by many in the Orlando market. Enjoy your retirement Vanessa you deserve it!!! 

• Like 5