Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Interesting but family is most important. I hope Keith is tapped to be the replacement.

Seems like there’s got to be something more to this. Maybe he’d been growing increasingly unhappy and just decided to walk? You leave the same day you make your announcement, the day before a major sweeps period when your station has the Olympics and the Super Bowl? I’m sure they had their anchors already scheduled for the entire month, had cut a ton of promos and now they have to shuffle. 

Perhaps one of his parents did take a turn for the worse but even then, would you quit the same day? I mean … he also has a wife and kids who have to be relocated. That takes some coordination. Switching schools, finding a new house, etc. Not to mention a new job, unless he’s going back to KXAS. Dallas is only a 45-minute flight from Houston on Southwest if something ever came up. 

Honestly it would just be easiest for KPRC to put Keith on the 5, 6 and 10. Keep Andy on Midday and noon, plus have him take over the 4 from Keith. They wouldn’t need to hire another male anchor, wouldn’t have to introduce a new face and would save some $$$$. They’ve been using Brandon Walker as a fill-in on some shows in recent months so he’d be available if need to help when someone is off. 

Blowing through both main anchors in a span of less than 6 months (and 3 in about 18 months if you add in Bill, who Kris replaced) isn’t a very good look for KPRC. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Greggo said:

Seems like there’s got to be something more to this. Maybe he’d been growing increasingly unhappy and just decided to walk? You leave the same day you make your announcement, the day before a major sweeps period when your station has the Olympics and the Super Bowl? I’m sure they had their anchors already scheduled for the entire month, had cut a ton of promos and now they have to shuffle. 

Perhaps one of his parents did take a turn for the worse but even then, would you quit the same day? I mean … he also has a wife and kids who have to be relocated. That takes some coordination. Switching schools, finding a new house, etc. Not to mention a new job, unless he’s going back to KXAS. Dallas is only a 45-minute flight from Houston on Southwest if something ever came up. 

Honestly it would just be easiest for KPRC to put Keith on the 5, 6 and 10. Keep Andy on Midday and noon, plus have him take over the 4 from Keith. They wouldn’t need to hire another male anchor, wouldn’t have to introduce a new face and would save some $$$$. They’ve been using Brandon Walker as a fill-in on some shows in recent months so he’d be available if need to help when someone is off. 

Blowing through both main anchors in a span of less than 6 months (and 3 in about 18 months if you add in Bill, who Kris replaced) isn’t a very good look for KPRC. 

It does seem somewhat sketchy. Daniella just arrived 1-2 weeks ago right? Surely they were either filming or planning to film promotions featuring their new anchoring team - the new Bill and Dominique. They can find solace in knowing that KTRK’s anchor line up is possibly the biggest disaster in the station’s history. If KPRC gets the hire right they may not miss a beat.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, it's finally happening at WFMJ.

No, they're not being sold, they're FINALLY adding a 5pm newscast.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/2/16/adding-more-news-in-ohio

Holy hell. Took them long enough. They're about 25 years late, but it's about time lol. 

• Like 1

Looks like February 2022 will go down as the end of an era at WAVY, as in addition to Don Slater stepping aside to become chief meteorologist emeritus; sports director Bruce Rader, the longest on-air person ever in the Tidewater region, is retiring at the end of this month. 

https://www.wavy.com/sports/local-sports/a-letter-from-bruce-rader-to-hampton-roads/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WAVY 10 Fan said:

Looks like February 2022 will go down as the end of an era at WAVY, as in addition to Don Slater stepping aside to become chief meteorologist emeritus; sports director Bruce Rader, the longest on-air person ever in the Tidewater region, is retiring at the end of this month. 

https://www.wavy.com/sports/local-sports/a-letter-from-bruce-rader-to-hampton-roads/

As someone who was born and raised in Hampton Roads for 21 years (1990 -2011) I was mostly a WVEC-TV watcher with most of my intrest as a child was into weather and Jeff Lawson but when I was 9 (1999) I began to also start following sports and was always amazed when I started switching to WAVY-TV and Mr. Bruce Rader. I always enjoyed the way he looks at sports and it carried with me when I moved to Pittsburgh in 2011 and began to work in the Pittsburgh Sports scene. Bob Pompeani (KDKA-TV) has always reminded me of my childhood when I began to care about sports as a career but I owe my gratitude to Bruce Rader for gaining my intrest as a kid and always providing the best sports coverage in Hampton Roads for 45 years. If it wasn't for Bruce, I don't know if I would be working in sports to this day.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2022 at 2:39 PM, GodfreyGR said:

Liz Collin has left WCCO after 14 years. The STrib sums it up pretty thoroughly.

Update: Collin has landed a job in the Twin Cities reporting on the stories "she wasn't allowed to do in recent years at WCCO".

https://www.startribune.com/former-wcco-tv-anchor-liz-collin-joins-conservative-site-alpha-news/600149396/

20 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

In Toledo, Melissa Voetsch announced her retirement from TV news.

She worked at WTOL as an anchor from the late 1980s through 2012’ish, when she left quietly after facing some heart issues. She then resurfaced at WTVG where she was a reporter since 2014. 

Facebook Post

I met her a few times. Very nice lady. I wish the best of luck to her in retirement.

• Like 2

Two Cleveland reporters are both leaving their stations after today.

Adrienne DiPiazza is leaving WJW and Meg Shaw is leaving WEWS.  Both served as reporters on their respective morning newscasts.

https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/adrienne-dipiazza-leaving-fox-8-meg-shaw-leaving-channel-5/Content?oid=38456520

Another day, another departure from WNYT. Jerry Gretzinger, who anchored the 4:00/4:30/6:00 newscasts, will be leaving the station as of March 11th after 4.5 years.

Gretzinger is the tenth on-air personality to have left WNYT since December 2020, on top of longtime GM Steve Baboulis and several longtime photogs, and is the second departure this year after reporter/fill-in anchor Jacquie Slater left the business in January.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oliverolang said:

Two Departures at KCRG, both for different reasons.

Morning Anchor Jay Greene has been fired:

https://www.kcrg.com/app/2022/02/27/kcrg-statement-former-anchor/?outputType=apps

Feel free to revert the link if not appropriate but this Facebook gossiper says it was due to conduct before emceeing an event at a high school. Salt grain taken, as the rest of their page content is 'MSM is poison/Q' stuff.

6 hours ago, Oliverolang said:

Two Departures at KCRG, both for different reasons.

Morning Anchor Jay Greene has been fired:

https://www.kcrg.com/app/2022/02/27/kcrg-statement-former-anchor/?outputType=apps

And earlier this month, Primary Anchor Chris Earl left to take a job in Florida.

I wonder if we will know more about the firing.

Edited by GoldenShine9

48 minutes ago, RGSJenkins said:

WPXI is adding a 6:30 pm newscast on WPGH on March 14. David Johnson and Liz Kilmer will anchor the newscast.

https://triblive.com/aande/movies-tv/tv-talk-wpgh-adding-an-evening-newscast-produced-by-wpxi/

I have this announcement it's own topic already.

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/topic/18770-sinclairs-wpgh-adds-a-630-pm-newscast-from-coxs-wpxi/