Out & About

TexasTVNews

22 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Gray's first order of business after acquiring WGCL/WPCH (among the other Meredith stations) was to get a legendary local name, and Monica Pearson was it.

As for WSB? I think the recent death of their lead female anchor Jovita Moore (Don Farmer, Justin's dad who anchored alongside Monica in the '80s and '90s, died this past spring) in addition to the cost-cutting at Apollo is already hurting them, and that will be reflected in the ratings. Expect WAGA and WGCL to fight it out for #1, with WSB cutting their 6:00 news to a half-hour (so that Atlantans would be flipping between ABC World News Tonight, NBC Nightly News, and CBS Evening News at 6:30) and WSB Tonight becoming the Action News Nightbeat once again; in addition, I could see Richard Belcher finally hanging it up after nearly 50 years.

If it already happened in New Orleans (with WWL relinquishing their longtime #1 status to WVUE, now WGCL's sister station), it could here.

WSB not cutting that hour-long 6pm that bread and butter.

After 33 years, a few health scares in the last year or so, and a career of laughs, WRC (News4)'s Wendy Rieger announced her retirement today. She said her retirement was negotiated into her contract 2 years ago, so the health scares weren't the reason for her leave. Truly a unique 5PM news presence and a DMV institution like no other. Her career look-back and subsequent departure will be next Friday, on 12/17.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

After 33 years, a few health scares in the last year or so, and a career of laughs, WRC (News4)'s Wendy Rieger announced her retirement today. She said her retirement was negotiated into her contract 2 years ago, so the health scares weren't the reason for her leave. Truly a unique 5PM news presence and a DMV institution like no other. Her career look-back and subsequent departure will be next Friday, on 12/17.

Wendy is definitely an institution in the DMV area. She will be sorely missed. But viewers will get one more week of laughs and personality from Wendy. 

Next question who’s her replacement? Shawn Yancy? Eun Yang? 

Im sure within the next year or two Doreen Gentzler will scale back and/or retire as well. So that will leave another opening on NBC4 weeknight newscasts. 

4 hours ago, NYPhillynews said:

Im sure within the next year or two Doreen Gentzler will scale back and/or retire as well. So that will leave another opening on NBC4 weeknight newscasts. 

Contrary to their relatively stable morning team, their evening teams have been a carousel btwn the anchors they have at their disposal. I'm sure Shawn will definitely step in and she's been with the station for a year now, so there's really no issues of chemistry or adjustment. I don't think Eun will leave her morning post, but they'll probably rotate Erika in whenever they need a fill-in as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYPhillynews said:

Wendy is definitely an institution in the DMV area. She will be sorely missed. But viewers will get one more week of laughs and personality from Wendy. 

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Contrary to their relatively stable morning team, their evening teams have been a carousel btwn the anchors they have at their disposal. I'm sure Shawn will definitely step in and she's been with the station for a year now, so there's really no issues of chemistry or adjustment. I don't think Eun will leave her morning post, but they'll probably rotate Erika in whenever they need a fill-in as well.

Where exactly does Shawn fit in currently? And who ended up filling Jim’s spot at 6pm?

On 12/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, ScottSchell said:

According to FTVLive KTUL NewsChannel 8 anchor Neilie Jones is also leaving the station on Lookout Mountain her last day will be December 9th this was the email sent to the staff at the station.

BF721297-D9BE-4551-96F1-EB8107D598C6.jpeg

Update the 17th will be her last day on air

• Sad 1

WJW is adding Ken Carmen (morning guy at radio WKRK) and John Sabol (brother of morning meteorologist Scott and most recently in Florida) to its sports team.  P.J. Ziegler is getting a bigger role, while Andre Knott also remains part of the team.

https://fox8.com/sports/fox-8-sports-department-expanding-clevelands-own-ken-carman-john-sabol-to-join-us/

10 minutes ago, HoosierNewsie said:

WDKY talks about their “relaunch” 

Wow, that's the most Silicon Valley-esque newscast pitch, I've ever watched, ever. Though I do think the KOIN package would have been a better fit.

Edited by TheSpeedKing
It was not grammatically correct
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Good luck finding a way to get TV air time locally. I doubt KXII will air his ads when he is on a crusade against them, and hopefully KTEN won't pick up the slack either. 

I don't think either station has a choice.  If he's a registered candidate, and buys the time, and the ads meet all of the requirements, they have to air the spots.  Not doing so would get them in hot water especially if a challenger is also advertising their candidacy.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

On 12/13/2021 at 9:11 PM, tylerSC said:

What has happened to Maureen O'Boyle at WBTV? She has been off the air for over 2 months and no apparent explanation. She is missed and hope all is ok. Must be some sort of extended leave.  

Maureen O'Boyle returned to the anchor desk at WBTV tonight, after an extended absence of over 2 months. No explanation given but just a welcome back. I guess just a personal leave but all seems well and glad to see her back.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tylerSC said:

Maureen O'Boyle returned to the anchor desk at WBTV tonight, after an extended absence of over 2 months. No explanation given but just a welcome back. I guess just a personal leave but all seems well and glad to see her back.

https://www.facebook.com/100044240268677/posts/459305952220743/?d=n

ABC promoted the first ever (English-language network) Puerto Rico countdown on New Year's Rockin' Eve tonight (shhhh...Univision, Telemundo, and WAPA airing that for years doesn't count somehow)...

Completely forgetting that most of their affiliates don't usually like to start their news at 11:01/10:01 for no good reason, especially on a night where five minutes (and three minutes of ads) are already taken away for New York coverage. Both my ABC affiliates (WBAY and WISN) have hard master control clocks and went right to their news at 10 on the dot, and I'm sure a good percentage of ABC affiliates in the Central/Eastern Time Zones did too. Very bad planning on ABC and Media Rights Capital's part.

Making it worse? They didn't even count down for a full minute, it was on a broadcast delay, and when they did start the countdown, it was the top of the hour and there was no natural lead-in outside chaos on stage desperately getting the crowed to get hyped for the countdown, thus the affiliates made the right choice in going to news.

I'm not even going to get deep into the unmasked disaster that is CBS in Nashville tonight (say everyone is triple-vaxxed all you want, people will fake their cards and there's no breathing room in those crowd shots); at least the NBC coverage does have a mostly-masked crowd and compelling performances from Miley (Pete Davidson though...noooooo), and outside that bad clocking, ABC is fine, though the late-late night recorded performances from LA and previous years have been used as a primetime Plan B.

ETA - ABC also forgot that the Friday night Mega Millions drawing is a thing stations air (which originates at WSB and is always aired there and all Cox stations), so the San Juan countdown was also pre-empted for that.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1