Out & About

TexasTVNews

40 minutes ago, MartheJokester said:

https://whnt.com/news/news-19-announces-danielle-dozier-as-new-chief-meteorologist/

Danielle Dozier is replacing Jason Simpson as chief meteorologist at WHNT.

Danielle is a great meteorologist who was treated so badly in Pittsburgh at WPXI. I'm so happy that she gets to lead the Weather Team at WHNT , I just wish it was in Pittsburgh or Hampton Roads (her hometown), Nexstar (WHNT's Owner) does own a station in HR [WAVY-TV] so maybe it still could happen when Don Slater Retires.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Some more that Gray has axed over refusal to get the vaccine:

KSNB - Tim Jones, chief meteorologist

WGEM - Don Dwyer, morning anchor and Robert Turek, reporter

WTVM - Dave Platta, sports director

And most likely, Amanda Barren of WSAZ.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/10/6/gone-missing-in-west-virginia

If she resurfaces in Charleston-Huntington, either Sinclair (WCHS/WVAH) or Nexstar (WOWK) could grab her. 

Given the current state of politics in West Virginia, it seems like its only a matter of time before WSAZ's uber-dominance there comes into question.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SFTV said:

Ken Bastida retiring from KPIX.  Missed the announcement but of course here’s the link to that blog.

https://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2021/10/bastida-kpix-exit-opens-door-for-lame.html?m=1

KNTV would be wise to finally add a 4pm newscast and bring him in to split evening duties with Raj, Jessica, and Janelle.

15 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

KNTV would be wise to finally add a 4pm newscast and bring him in to split evening duties with Raj, Jessica, and Janelle.

After 30+ years, I think Ken is done and tired. I finally watched his announcement on DVR and he would rather be on his tractor farming. And yes, he said he does farming “LEGALLY” 🤣

9 minutes ago, SFTV said:

After 30+ years, I think Ken is done and tired. I finally watched his announcement on DVR and he would rather be on his tractor farming. And yes, he said he does farming “LEGALLY” 🤣

My favorite Ken moment🤣

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, SFTV said:

These “retirements” are because they are making too much money. So no, they arent gonna go elsewhere, cause no one is paying old school money. Ken was probably making around 500K. They will bring in a replacement at 200-250. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I know she posted it a few days ago on Facebook, but she's gone public - and insane. They will have a hard time finding a new position.

Add one more Gray personality to the list. 

Kerri Hayden - https://kgab.com/longtime-cheyenne-tv-anchor-fired-over-covid-19-vaccine-mandate/

And then, there is a veteran news anchor who was fired back in September due to COVID-19 protocols. You can read more about it at https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/09/09/michigan-tv-anchor-frank-turner-covid-19-protocols/8266073002/

Also, you may remember that KATV did a segment recently where the station returned to the 1970s and the two journalists wore Afro-like wigs. Well, the news director Nick Genty was fired, and news anchor Chris May and longtime station meteorologist Barry Brandt were both suspended. You can read more about this at https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/10/04/arkansas-tv-journalists-suspended-afro-wigs/.

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

Add one more Gray personality to the list. 

Kerri Hayden - https://kgab.com/longtime-cheyenne-tv-anchor-fired-over-covid-19-vaccine-mandate/

And then, there is a veteran news anchor who was fired back in September due to COVID-19 protocols. You can read more about it at https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/09/09/michigan-tv-anchor-frank-turner-covid-19-protocols/8266073002/

Also, you may remember that KATV did a segment recently where the station returned to the 1970s and the two journalists wore Afro-like wigs. Well, the news director Nick Genty was fired, and news anchor Chris May and longtime station meteorologist Barry Brandt were both suspended. You can read more about this at https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/10/04/arkansas-tv-journalists-suspended-afro-wigs/.

The fights over exemptions seem like most were bogus or cop-outs anyway. Unless you're Amish or something like that, the chance of a legitimate religious exemption is zero as no organized religious body has said no to vaccines (they have either encouraged or at most been neutral) - independent evangelical churches don't count there. As far as medical exemptions, they are only likely if someone is allergic to it or had a serious reaction in the past from a different vaccine, which applies to less than 1% of the population. That may be about 50 people, at the most, at all Gray operations combined.

I know Tegna's mandate begins November 13 and Scripps has theirs on December 1. Meredith aligned them with Gray (which makes sense). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

For the most part, most everyone you see on-screen on a newscast has been vaccinated because they didn't want to broadcast from home or be distant on the set any longer, and already had their celebrations of such in April and May; I know of nobody in eastern Wisconsin who has left their station outside of the regular old reasons and openly shared when their teams were all past the inoculation period.

The hold-outs seem to be that side of broadcasting that think of it as a 'calling to God' and that they can somehow convert people reporting on a five-car accident or consumer reporting (the type that seem to pack a lot of 'news/talk' conservative radio station newsrooms), and think they're just that 'one big story' away from getting on Fox News or will personally oust Raymond Arroyo or Pat Robertson. Outside a few true exceptions where they cannot actually get the shot due to medical reasons, and along with the general public, they are few and far between, but can get the news on their side since they know the emotional tricks of doing so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:24 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

And speaking of Amanda Barren, she was indeed fired for not getting the COVID vaccine.

Read more at https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/west-virginia-anchor-also-fired-for-violating-gray-tvs-vaccination-mandate/235445/.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another one that Gray has let go of:

KCWY - Cheryl Hackett, morning anchor and lifestyle reporter

KALB - Also I know Tom Konvicka, chief meteorologist, and Al Quartemont, news director, both left on September 15. They have not disclosed if the mandate is the reason and that they were fired, but there is wide suspicion it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know we are hearing of all of the carnage from high-profile Gray employees getting released.  I wonder how the rank-and-file is holding up.  Didn't Gray already disclose that a large number of their staff was already vaccinated?

We may see a lawsuit or two down the road, especially if they were advised by their doctor not to take the vaccine for a legitimate medical reason.  But the latter is probably your typical anti-vaxxer who's thought all along this is all a big hoax and this is the greatest infringment of their rights in this country's history.

And a few months down the road, when their non-competes are up, I'm sure their non-mandating competition will scoop them up with open arms (especially if they rhyme with TIN-clair and HEX-star)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I know we are hearing of all of the carnage from high-profile Gray employees getting released.  I wonder how the rank-and-file is holding up.  Didn't Gray already disclose that a large number of their staff was already vaccinated?

We may see a lawsuit or two down the road, especially if they were advised by their doctor not to take the vaccine for a legitimate medical reason.  But the latter is probably your typical anti-vaxxer who's thought all along this is all a big hoax and this is the greatest infringment of their rights in this country's history.

And a few months down the road, when their non-competes are up, I'm sure their non-mandating competition will scoop them up with open arms (especially if they rhyme with TIN-clair and HEX-star)

While Sinclair will likely be hard-pressed to mandate such, I could see Nexstar joining in with such - and there are quite a number of markets (my count is 13) where it's Gray vs. Nexstar and no one else. There will be some carnage too when Tegna and Scripps impose their upcoming mandates.

Edited by GoldenShine9
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The majority of them who did have medical reasoning probably won't ever speak, and will eventually negotiate a non-disclosure settlement from Gray because at least they have a reason and they probably had the 'I'm really sorry, I'd love to keep you but my hands are tied' conversation with their local boss, understood, and corporate is in the same position.

The only ones we seem to be hearing from probably had saner family members and lawyers advise them not to say a word, and disregarded it. And a couple (like the WLUC met) were likely out the door anyways due to age/job performance.

As for these people getting back into the industry through SBG and Nexstar...the Internet will have reputable news of their Gray firings under their station bios and LinkedIn that no reputation firm will ever wipe out. Unless they do a 180º and get the shots, the legal and HR departments for those stations are likely ready to tell them the hire isn't worth the local PR headache unless the hire has got a shelf packed with Pultizers, Morrows and Regional Emmys.

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

The majority of them who did have medical reasoning probably won't ever speak, and will eventually negotiate a non-disclosure settlement from Gray because at least they have a reason and they probably had the 'I'm really sorry, I'd love to keep you but my hands are tied' conversation with their local boss, understood, and corporate is in the same position.

The only ones we seem to be hearing from probably had saner family members and lawyers advise them not to say a word, and disregarded it. And a couple (like the WLUC met) were likely out the door anyways due to age/job performance.

As for these people getting back into the industry through SBG and Nexstar...the Internet will have reputable news of their Gray firings under their station bios and LinkedIn that no reputation firm will ever wipe out. Unless they do a 180º and get the shots, the legal and HR departments for those stations are likely ready to tell them the hire isn't worth the local PR headache unless the hire has got a shelf packed with Pultizers, Morrows and Regional Emmys.

I could see Amanda Barren resurfacing at either WCHS or WOWK.  Lots of former WSAZ people, whether they left on their own terms or fired for cause have crossed the street.  Given Sinclair's past "bias" and the general consensus of politics in West Virginia, they would throw money at her when she's free and clear to jump over.  And if the only reason was because of the vaccine, well, you get the idea.

While not related, lest we forget Tom McGee, who's antics didn't stop him from going from WCHS  (first DUI)....to WOWK (lawsuit and bad behavior)....back to WCHS (second dui), and resurfacing at the failed WHCP (now Gray's WQCW) news department. 

While these antics ended his time at each station, the memory was short enough for him to start anew elsewhere.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

TV has a long history of second (third, fourth) chances. But, anyone leaving Gray for vaccination reasons would be wise to stay quiet. I already know of a few managers who won't hire a Gray castoff if they know that person refused a COVID-19 vaccine. Jumping to that local school district/hospital/animal shelter for P.R. won't be as easy either.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheRob said:

TV has a long history of second (third, fourth) chances. But, anyone leaving Gray for vaccination reasons would be wise to stay quiet. I already know of a few managers who won't hire a Gray castoff if they know that person refused a COVID-19 vaccine. Jumping to that local school district/hospital/animal shelter for P.R. won't be as easy either.

It's ironic. They allowed themselves to be canned because they didn't get microchipped the shot, but the way the environment currently is some will have trouble getting jobs elsewhere (TV or not) because...the vaccine is required.

• Like 1

According to DeadlineDetroit.com, WJBK news anchor Huel Perkins is planning on retiring around March of next year and Monica Gayle is considering following him to retirement. Here is the link to the news article about the two planning on retiring: https://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/28964/detroit_fox_2_anchor_huel_perkins_plans_to_retire_next_year_--_monica_gayle_may_follow.

Wow! It seems like everyone is leaving WJBK Fox 2. I remember when WJBK Fox 2 used to air some excellent investigative news reports (That was back when Charlie LeDuff and M.L. Elrick was working there.). Fox 2 letting LeDuff and Elrick go was a horrible move. LeDuff and Elrick were excellent news reporters. As a viewer, I think that Fox 2's management need to make their investigative news reports excellent again. The only investigative reporter WJBK has now is Rob Wolchek and really, when you look at it, his news reports are not investigative news reports. Wolchek's news reports are reports about consumer matters. I'm saying that Fox 2 should start doing things like covering the crooked stuff Detroit city council and Mike Duggan is doing again. LeDuff and Elrick were covering the crooked stuff Detroit city council and Duggan were doing when they were working for Fox 2. Now, ever since LeDuff and Elrick no longer work at Fox 2, Fox 2 is no longer covering the crooked stuff Mike Duggan is doing. Fox 2 has really gone downhill since they got rid of LeDuff and Elrick. Fox 2 need to hire more investigative news reporters and make their investigative news reports awesome again. Fox 2 News at 10PM has gone downhill since Fox 2 got rid of Charlie LeDuff and M.L. Elrick (By the way, I should say that LeDuff and Elrick were my favorite Fox 2 news reporters.).

Edited by javafan0101