Out & About

TexasTVNews

The anchor changes at WNYT weren't the biggest news to come out of there today. Steve Baboulis, GM since 1996 and an employee of the station since 1977, is retiring.

Steve is much of why WNYT went from also-ran to powerhouse and while his "it worked I  the 90s" attitude has been a little detrimental as of late, this is a huge loss for a station that's had a rough year personnel wise.

• Like 1

In a bit of where-are-they-now, veteran TV anchor Mike Landess (previously in Denver TV as well as KYTX in Tyler) has landed the news director position at a new public radio station in Tyler.  (More in the Radio section link below.)

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/topic/18496-tyler-tx-new-public-radio-station/

25 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Maria Arcega-Dunn just announced on Instagram that KSWB is launching a FOX5 News at 7:30pm newscast starting tonight.

Phil Blauer will be her co-anchor. Wow, that's a long evening block of news. Now 4p-8p.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bsean said:

Phil Blauer will be her co-anchor. Wow, that's a long evening block of news. Now 4p-8p.

For a 7pm slot, pretty interesting that KSWB now wants to compete with KFMB’s CW newscast and KGTV. 

KUSI started it years back but discontinued it and KGTV took advantage of that time slot.

4 hours ago, Bsean said:

KSWB is essentially KTLA south. Nexstar owned station and News Director Rich Goldner is a former KTLA guy...former EP of the Morning News. Makes sense to be so news heavy. 

On 9/19/2021 at 11:13 AM, east-tx-tv said:

In a bit of where-are-they-now, veteran TV anchor Mike Landess (previously in Denver TV as well as KYTX in Tyler) has landed the news director position at a new public radio station in Tyler.  (More in the Radio section link below.)

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/topic/18496-tyler-tx-new-public-radio-station/

He spent some time here in Atlanta back in the mid-90s at WXIA alongside Angela Robinson during their brief "11 News (sans -Alive)" period.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:20 PM, TheRob said:

Saying this as a Black person: Yeah, in this day and age, this is pretty cringe and probably would've just been best not done, lest it got exactly the response that it did.  

But, seeing as the style of the wig itself was more evocative of Bob Ross, Gene Shalit, and Alex Trebek when he was the host of "High Rollers", rather than, say, a Don Cornelius fro, I don't think he meant any harm.  It's one of those acting without thinking moments.

• Like 2

Starting next Monday, KPIX will be launching a half hour 3pm Newscast with Allen Martin followed by the CBS Evening news with Nora O’Donnell at 3:30pm.

this will replace the full 3pm hour of The People’s Court followed by Judge Judy at 4pm.

any other CBS O&O’s doing this?

Edited by SFTV

5 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Starting next Monday, KPIX will be launching a half hour 3pm Newscast with Allen Martin followed by the CBS Evening news with Nora O’Donnell at 3:30pm.

this will replace the full 3pm hour of The People’s Court followed by Judge Judy at 4pm.

So they're just going to relegate People's Court to the CW? Even when Judge Judy will be on reruns from now on? I guess so...

I know they're going for KGO here and it's an affordable choice but a lazy one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

So they're just going to relegate People's Court to the CW? Even when Judge Judy will be on reruns from now on? I guess so...

I know they're going for KGO here and it's an affordable choice but a lazy one.

KGO doesn’t air a normal half hour newscast at 3pm it’s called “Getting Answers,” which is mostly Covid related interviews/trending news topics and simulcasted on Facebook Live. The conversation continues during commercial breaks where viewers can ask more questions that they don’t cover on air on FB.

KRON airs a full hour 3pm somewhat fast paced from their newsroom weekdays.

40 minutes ago, SFTV said:

any other CBS O&O’s doing this?

Are they gonna make like KABC and run the western version at 5:30 still?

3 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

You mean KGO?

KGO airs World News Tonight followed by ABC7 News @ 4 PM. Yes they use at @ symbol only the 4 pm show. I don’t know why.

Followed by ABC7 News at 5

World News Tonight at 5:30, then a full hour of ABC7 News at 6

KPIX will air CBS Evening News at 3:30.

Judge Judy at 4pm

KPIX 5 News at 5 and 5:30

KPIX 5 News at 6

CBS Evening News at 6:30

KPIX 5 News at 7 (30 min newscast)

3 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

He has a point to his argument but I think this could put a nail in his coffin at the station. It's been a fraught relationship between him and the station lately and I don't think it's going to get any better. I haven't watched KTVU's coverage but other competing stations, like KNTV, added about 60 seconds as a separate story to address the disparities in media coverage and I thought that balanced the issue well. If anything, him delivering the lines would've been awkward enough, but a solution like that of KNTV's would've done well.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2