Out & About

TexasTVNews

11 hours ago, SFTV said:

WJZY Nick Kosir, the viral dancing weatherman is out.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/4/16/the-dancing-weatherman-is-gone

I honestly had no idea he was viral but his dancing seems pretty legit (much better than the average TikToker). Seems like he was ousted unexpectedly, so this is sad. FOX 46 needs to get over its growing pains soon, because there's been too much switcharoo recently.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I honestly had no idea he was viral but his dancing seems pretty legit (much better than the average TikToker). Seems like he was ousted unexpectedly, so this is sad. FOX 46 needs to get over its growing pains soon, because there's been too much switcharoo recently.

As someone who uses TikTok on a regular basis, I can confirm he was very viral. Recently he was doing a series that got millions of views and likes where he would sneak in modern slang into his weather reports, like bussin, sheeeesh, and "that's kinda sus." I hardly know what those words mean and I'm in that generation, but the videos were quite entertaining nevertheless. I checked this morning and he deleted all of them. Not sure if that had anything to do with his departure, but such is life.

An update on WSB Action News anchor Jovita Moore. She is recovering after undergoing surgery for brain tumors this morning. Jovita's surgery went well and doctors say she is a model patient. If you want to leave well wishes to Jovita, please visit the special page devoted to Jovita on the station's website. Thoughts and prayers are with you Jovita. Go with God, and he'll go with you in the power of prayer.

https://www.wsbtv.com/jovita/

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

An update on WSB Action News anchor Jovita Moore. She is recovering after undergoing surgery for brain cancer this morning. Jovita's surgery went well and doctors say she is a model patient. If you want to leave well wishes to Jovita, please visit the special page devoted to Jovita on the station's website. Thoughts and prayers are with you Jovita. Go with God, and he'll go with you in the power of prayer.

https://www.wsbtv.com/jovita/

Small, but important point of clarification: she has not been diagnosed with cancer. Her surgery was to remove 2 tumors. They have not determined if it's cancer.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

It seems like it has mostly been in the mornings.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:02 PM, Roadrunner said:

This is another bad decision by Nexstar management...  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, noggi said:

Really, does it need to be phrased so negatively here? They're in my market and they could be a lot worse, like WGCL worse or WWJ-TV non-existent, and they have management which is willing to spend. And when WTMJ is in the market continuing to drag it down, I'd rather watch a great fourth-place news operation trying hard than a third-place one we know can do 250% better (and has). They got to 25 years; there were times we were praying they got to 10 or even five, so it's a major accomplishment to me.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

Really, does it need to be phrased so negatively here? They're in my market and they could be a lot worse, like WGCL worse or WWJ-TV non-existent, and they have management which is willing to spend. And when WTMJ is in the market continuing to drag it down, I'd rather watch a great fourth-place news operation trying hard than a third-place one we know can do 250% better (and has). They got to 25 years; there were times we were praying they got to 10 or even five, so it's a major accomplishment to me.

Exactly.  Out of ALL the stations that gained big 3 affiliations after the Fox switcheroo, WDJT has been among the best. They could be so much cheaper than they are. What's the reason for being hard on them?

• Like 3

On 4/16/2021 at 6:58 AM, SFTV said:

WJZY Nick Kosir, the viral dancing weatherman is out.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/4/16/the-dancing-weatherman-is-gone

Well if they let him go that seems like a big mistake by Nexstar. He was one of their more popular personalities and did a good job with an entertaining style weather segment that seemed well suited for the morning show. They previously had a good mix of hosts for the morning program, but now have lost Nick Kosir along with Chuck Roads, Paige Fehling and Brigida Mack. Not sure why they wanted to dismantle a good team that seemed to be working well. But holdover Jason Harper and Ann Wyatt Little seem to make a good team moving forward, so we shall see. But the show now seems to be more news oriented with less entertainment, interviews, and cooking segments. So I guess the typical "moving in a different direction" as these changes occur.

4 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

KMGH GM: Potential designation endangers Denver 7's future.

I understand the building is an albatross, but...wouldn't you just let the real estate side of the business handle it and just keep the move going? Is a real estate transaction in Denver such a big deal for Scripps, they would be bankrupted, give up the ABC affiliation, shut down their news division, and become a Katz subchannel farm if they couldn't sell one building?

Also the tone of this from the GM...nobody in the news and old entertainment divisions of the stations designed or built it, and this basically sounds like he's mad at them for his 'collaboration' issues in 2021.

Finally...get real. Outside the few folks who need to see the public file in person or come in for an interview, 'access' to a news studio is not paramount. They're probably going to lease a boring office building's middle floors  nearby and nobody is ever going to visit them.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 9:36 AM, tylerSC said:

Well if they let him go that seems like a big mistake by Nexstar. He was one of their more popular personalities and did a good job with an entertaining style weather segment that seemed well suited for the morning show. They previously had a good mix of hosts for the morning program, but now have lost Nick Kosir along with Chuck Roads, Paige Fehling and Brigida Mack. Not sure why they wanted to dismantle a good team that seemed to be working well. But holdover Jason Harper and Ann Wyatt Little seem to make a good team moving forward, so we shall see. But the show now seems to be more news oriented with less entertainment, interviews, and cooking segments. So I guess the typical "moving in a different direction" as these changes occur.

Ann actually replaced Morgan Norwood who was fired for accidentally letting an f bomb slip on a hot mic. But she has been with the station. Paige moved to the noon and 4pm news. But still a big shakeup in the morning.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:48 PM, Nelson R. said:

Ann actually replaced Morgan Norwood who was fired for accidentally letting an f bomb slip on a hot mic. But she has been with the station. Paige moved to the noon and 4pm news. But still a big shakeup in the morning.

Yes that was my point, not sure why they would want to shake up a seemingly successful program that was apparently gaining viewers. They had a good combination of personalities and nice balance of news, interviews and features. Now it is mostly news as they seemed to have phased out some of the interviews and cooking segments. And no more live reports from FOX News, although I knew that would change after FOX sold out to Nexstar.

On 4/18/2021 at 9:17 PM, mrschimpf said:

Very true!  WDJT has actually made some big leaps and it Wheel/Jeopardy combo at 6 & 6:30pm beats some of the other 6pm newscast.  Despite the woes of the transition of looking for new CBS affiliates back then of WDJT, WGCL & WOIO. They all at least were able to find their footing and get a newscast going. Nobody can't say that to the CBS O&O WWJ now. 

7 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Very true!  WDJT has actually made some big leaps and it Wheel/Jeopardy combo at 6 & 6:30pm beats some of the other 6pm newscast.  Despite the woes of the transition of looking for new CBS affiliates back then of WDJT, WGCL & WOIO. They all at least were able to find their footing and get a newscast going. Nobody can't say that to the CBS O&O WWJ now. 

And WDJT is the only one out of those 4 mentioned that hasn't changed their newscast title since they became a CBS station in '95. They have always been "CBS 58 News".

Edited by RGSJenkins
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 6:44 PM, tylerSC said:

Yes that was my point, not sure why they would want to shake up a seemingly successful program that was apparently gaining viewers. They had a good combination of personalities and nice balance of news, interviews and features. Now it is mostly news as they seemed to have phased out some of the interviews and cooking segments. And no more live reports from FOX News, although I knew that would change after FOX sold out to Nexstar.

WJZY is just being held by Nexstar at this point, but it looks like local management are idiots because they just completely undone the 5-years of success that was made in building up "Good Day Charlotte" by Fox in less than 12 months. You want to keep and nurture social media sensations like meteorologist Nick Kosir because the younger audiences are more social media oriented, less likely to watch news for general purposes, and more racially diverse. Honestly, a weaker station like WJZY needs more black news anchors that connect to the rapidly growing black audience in the Charlotte DMA like a native like Brigida Mack and a younger black female news anchor like Morgan Norwood.  Jamal Goss isn't the strongest news anchor, but they don't even try to develop him as a news anchor.  It is also tale telling that most of the black reporters and the lone black meteorologist (Brittany Hamilton) from the Fox O&O ownership have quit under Nexstar.  Nexstar has a huge problem with diversity of black and brown faces on the news desk in comparison to direct competitors like WBTV, WSOC, and WCNC, and it seems to be a common problem across their footprint. Ann Wyatt is cool, but she would have been better suited for the noon & 4PM newscasts. Nexstar management is extremely out of touch with Charlotte and it is showing in their decisions.

They don't know how to do anything other than throw some money into to start two news programs (noon & 4PM) and make the sports show, "Fox46 Sports Xtra" into an half-hour weekday nights or hour-long on Sunday night "CSL/Charlotte Sports Live".  "CSL" is nice, but it's not needed every single night at 11PM. Nexstar should be investing in a 11PM newscast and expanding "Good Day Charlotte" from 5AM to 10AM first.  Their lack of effort in building up the local news operation in the Charlotte market by hiring more racial diversity of news anchor talent, expanding newscast times, and not over-relying on other "regionally complimentary" (their stupid words) stations from Raleigh/Durham, Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson (Asheville), or Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point for stories and content is shorten their tenure of ownership.  Raleigh and Columbia are the only cities they should be checking for because those are the state capitals within their bi-state market area.  Local stations make money by providing as much local content as possible for their ROI and stable ratings, but Nexstar just doesn't get that...

Well with all the bad decision-making occurring by Nexstar and then their dumpster fire called News Nation, Nexstar will be too broke to hold on many of their larger market properties at the rate they are going. These decisions will result in having to sell this duo (WJZY/WMYT), WPIX, WGN-TV, KTLA, etc. to cover revenue losses across the board. That's just my opinion, but I see it happening and very soon... 

Edited by jero23
  • Like 2

Jill Konopka, formerly of WFSB, WVIT, and WNYT, has resurfaced at WTIC. She had spent the last several months in Boston, trying to enter that market.

Come to think of it, this puts her in relatively exclusive company to have worked at three stations in the Hartford market; the only others I can think of would be Al Terzi (original WTIC/WFSB, WTNH, current WTIC) and Janet Peckinpaugh (WTNH, WFSB, WVIT).

Wow! Big news out of the Triangle. WTVD has announced two departures. 

Evening anchor Tisha Powell and Chief Meteorologist Chris Hohmann are both leaving the station within the next couple of months.

Hohmann will leave on May 28 after nearly 30 years at the station. While Powell will depart on June 30 after 17 years.

• Sad 2

Another day, another person leaving WNYT. And this one is a big name.

After 42 years at WNYT, 4:00/4:30/6:00 PM anchor and health reporter Benita Zahn is leaving the station to work as a certified health coach. Her last day will be May 28th

For those keeping score, this is the sixth departure at WNYT in as many months. A near unreal period of tumult for a station once known for being atypically stable. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, scrabbleship said:

Another day, another person leaving WNYT. And this one is a big name.

After 42 years at WNYT, 4:00/4:30/6:00 PM anchor and health reporter Benita Zahn is leaving the station to work as a certified health coach. Her last day will be May 28th

For those keeping score, this is the sixth departure at WNYT in as many months. A near unreal period of tumult for a station once known for being atypically stable. 

I thought the same, biggest change since Lydia was let go. I wonder what it will do to long term ratings in the long term?