Out & About

TexasTVNews

16 minutes ago, newsman123 said:

Gcl: this is what happens there. A new ND blows everyone out, and by the time he or she is done; he gets blown out himself, and starts all over again. 

The news director is Matt King who worked at rival 11Alive so it not like he doesn't know the market.  There some former 11alivers are at GCL,

but in 20 years how many news directors and GM has this station had under Meredith?  The station has reach some heights of being #2 at 11pm and even beating 11 for 3rd place, but you're right. It's wash, rinse and repeat with management that comes along. Meredith seems to be the problem, because one thing this station lack is consistency.

Edited by Breaking News

Not sure how we missed this but KWTV is launching a 9am newscast (competing against KOCO for news in that timeslot) beginning January 18th:

But the changes doesn't stop there and I'll share more details in the 2020 syndication news thread once I find the link to it.

KWTV.jpg

42 minutes ago, dman748 said:

Not sure how we missed this but KWTV is launching a 9am newscast (competing against KOCO for news in that timeslot) beginning January 18th:

But the changes doesn't stop there and I'll share more details in the 2020 syndication news thread once I find the link to it.

KWTV.jpg

I can tell you they dropped Live with Kelly and Ryan for the 9AM newscast they didn't renew the contract to air them on KWTV.

Edited by ScottSchell

3 hours ago, ScottSchell said:

I can tell you they dropped Live with Kelly and Ryan for the 9AM newscast they didn't renew the contract to air them on KWTV.

Which I've been seeing promos that Live is moving to KOKH at the same time.

News from Miami: Sunbeam continues to be the center of the universe with its offshoots every which way

WTVJ - NBC 6 - hires two new anchors for its morning team (first reported January 6)

Both incoming talent have notable Miami experience.

Constance Jones comes from WRIC in Richmond as its evening anchor after roughly two years there.

Before that, she spent less than a year at Atlanta's WAGA and nine years at Miami's WPLG. 

Here's hoping she can settle back in in familiar territory.

Kris Anderson comes from Sunbeam's WHDH in Boston as its morning anchor after seven years. 

The Miami native launched his career as an intern at WSVN.

The official morning team was Roxanne Vargas, Sheli Muniz (both anchors), Kristin Sanchez (traffic), and Adam Berg (weather).

Since (what I believe) the pandemic began, NBC 6 made changes that they failed to officiate, so I had skepticism that this was their permanent direction.

Here's a summary:

• Roxanne and Sheli were moved to noon & 4PM (and will now stay there)
  • Kristin became co-anchor 
  • Johnny Archer joined Kristin as co-anchor from weekend evenings (now since solo anchored by Alina Machado or Keith Jones)
  • Kelly Blanco assumed traffic duties (in conjunction with entertainment and features reports)

The new anchors are expected to join this current morning team in February, with roles shifting around (and also making for quite a large group).

I don't think WTVJ will be able to challenge the market leaders but regardless, hopefully it will make for a stronger operation.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:00 PM, TheWatcherAtl said:

News of another  anchor  leaving WGCL will be announced with the next coming days.

I have an inside source. 

A tad bit surprised this anchor hasn't made it public they've left WGCL yet.

Only thing I'll say is.

1. Jan 1st, 2021 was the last news report they did for WGCL (hasn't been seen on tv since) 

2. Jan 7th, 2021 Was contractually their last day at WGCL. 

58 minutes ago, TheWatcherAtl said:

A tad bit surprised this anchor hasn't made it public they've left WGCL yet.

Only thing I'll say is.

1. Jan 1st, 2021 was the last news report they did for WGCL (hasn't been seen on tv since) 

2. Jan 7th, 2021 Was contractually their last day at WGCL. 

FYI.. be clear between anchor and reporter. I was expecting a big anchor departure! Looks like BY’s bio is missing, so I assume thats it? 

Edited by newsman123

WGN America has hired longtime journalist Ashleigh Banfield for a new nightly show.

The hour-long news and talk show, called Banfield, will air weeknights at 10 p.m. starting on March 1. The show will feature Banfield interviewing newsmakers, politicians and celebrities, and will also include in-depth coverage of the day’s top news stories.

Banfield will replace the third hour of WGN America’s three-hour national newscast, News Nation, which premiered last September.

“As WGN America begins expanding its programming and distribution in 2021, Ashleigh’s national appeal and network experience will help us reach new viewers seeking balance, not bias in news reporting, and talk programming that offers several points of view,” said Sean Compton, president of Nexstar Media Group. “Ashleigh is one of the most acclaimed, award-winning anchors in television news, reporting from across the country and around the globe, with a reputation for fairness and integrity. We are excited to add ‘Banfield’ to our growing lineup of news programming.”

Banfield is a 30-year broadcast veteran who has served as host of the A&E primetime series Live Rescue and host of Primetime Justice With Ashleigh Banfield on HLN. She has anchored Legal View With Ashleigh Banfield on CNN and co-anchored the CNN morning news show, Early Start. She has also served as a correspondent for ABC News, reporting for Good Morning America, 20/20, ABC World News Tonight, and Nightline.

“What a thrill it is to be part of a team driving straight down the center lane,” said Banfield. “We’ve reached a time where Americans are hungry for facts without bias, news without spin, and guests from ALL perspectives. I can’t wait to go head-to-head with America’s top newsmakers and celebrities in a talk format that I’ve longed for since Larry King! It’s time to put in-depth interviews back on the cable news landscape.”

By Stephanie Tsoflias Siegel on Jan. 5, 2021- tvspy.com

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 2

I have several WJZY updates that I have been meaning to catch you up on...first of all, the big news,  they are launching a noon and 4pm newscast “in a couple weeks” which Paige Fehling will be a part of...saw it in the comments...https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJ5y5KvJNmm/?igshid=1xblzpryufgb1

Also Brigida Mack left the station last week...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJpBSNLDBKb/?igshid=kqpxbuy0jpo7

As did the reporter who was reporting live from Taylorsville as the bridge collapsed (Amber Roberts) https://www.instagram.com/p/CJfF5RyhZ-6/?igshid=w6nvx20tdby1

They did hire Morgan Norwood away from WTVD. Her first day was December 16. 

Paige said they will be hiring someone else for Good Day. She also said in a comment that a Morgan will be with her on the new newscasts but I don’t know if she meant Morgan Frances or Morgan Norwood. It is also not known how long the newscasts will last. The 4pm news will almost certainly last an hour...but the noon news could only be 30 minutes. This is probably why they swapped 25 Words or Less and Dr. Oz back in the Fall.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

Also Brigida Mack left the station last week...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJpBSNLDBKb/?igshid=kqpxbuy0jpo7

I don't keep up enough with Charlotte and NC media in general so thanks for always sharing. Excuse me being uninformed, but I'm a bit surprised about Brigida as she joined WJZY to much fanfare and I really thought this would be her big comeback. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. 

Clearly WJZY is now trying to turn out a comprehensive operation. Not holding my breath as to how it'll consistently do against the heavyweights but maybe the many years of tweaking will finally get to make it something. And don't mind me, but a better cut of Beyond and a better VO would be nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gavin said:

Raleigh deserves another news department then Greensboro they're just to small!!!

Yeah I keep thinking it will be WRAZ if they ever split off from WRAL. It would’ve been WLFL but Capitol sacrificed WJZY/WMYT in 2013 to keep Fox on WRAZ and a few other cities.

1 minute ago, Nelson R. said:

Yeah I keep thinking it will be WRAZ if they ever split off from WRAL. It would’ve been WLFL but Capitol sacrificed WJZY/WMYT in 2013 to keep Fox on WRAZ and a few other cities.

Well the news desk on Sinclair stations like WLFL might boost it, but I've been wishing forever for Sinclair to sell WLFL/WRDC  and they want too but they damaged the value of the station with the News central thing that shut down there decent WB22 News At Ten product in 2006, and just running the overall value of the station to the ground for low production values made the station so much low value it killed the station chance to get sold, that's why they've had a hard time selling it! The only high production is my ABC Owned Station also in Raleigh producing ABC11 Eyewitness News 10pm on CW22 seven days a week through that news share agreement that cause its an O&O, which a good thing cause ABC wouldn't allow low quality production on ABC Owned Station like WTVD. Especially in a big market like the Raleigh-Durham market Number 24 DMA.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:25 PM, Gavin said:

Well the news desk on Sinclair stations like WLFL might boost it, but I've been wishing forever for Sinclair to sell WLFL/WRDC  and they want too but they damaged the value of the station with the News central thing that shut down there decent WB22 News At Ten product in 2006, and just running the overall value of the station to the ground for low production values made the station so much low value it killed the station chance to get sold, that's why they've had a hard time selling it! The only high production is my ABC Owned Station also in Raleigh producing ABC11 Eyewitness News 10pm on CW22 seven days a week through that news share agreement that cause its an O&O, which a good thing cause ABC wouldn't allow low quality production on ABC Owned Station like WTVD. Especially in a big market like the Raleigh-Durham market Number 24 DMA.

Sinclair did the damage on WLFL by balking at FOX's demands to start a newscast, and by the time they agreed to it, WRAZ had been granted FOX, and WLFL had to settle for the WB.

WRDC was already damaged goods since it was ruined by Brissette when they killed off WPTF and drove the station even further by killing off their news operation.  Adding more insult to injury, when Sinclair got both stations, they set up in Channel 28's studios and WLFL's studios became home to WNCN, who through Outlet, wrestled away NBC because of Channel 28's disasterous tenure as an NBC affiliate at the time.