Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 12/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, scrabbleship said:

A update: Her husband, the controversially-parted-from-WFSB Dennis House, has also tested positive for COVID. On the day before his birthday no less.

In much happier but relevant news, WTNH has hired Dennis House as their chief political anchor and as a fill-in anchor as of January 11th. WTNH also will be launching a second Sunday morning political show hosted by House to go along with their longtime Capitol Report.

This is a good move for both sides and only helps WTNH in the northern half of Connecticut where the battle for second place is a three station race. The transplanted CT folk getting paywalled out of WTNH's stream is going to be egg on their face though.

Edited by scrabbleship
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

In much happier but relevant news, WTNH has hired Dennis House as their chief political anchor and as a fill-in anchor as of January 11th. WTNH also will be launching a second Sunday morning political show hosted by House to go along with their longtime Capitol Report.

This is a good move for both sides and only helps WTNH in the northern half of Connecticut where the battle for second place is a three station race. The transplanted CT folk getting paywalled out of WTNH's stream is going to be egg on their face though.

Do you think it just a matter of time before he anchoring the 6 &11pm news?  It would behoove WTNH to get him in that role by May Sweeps. Hasn't NBC 30 moved to #2 and WTNH moved to third in recent years?

13 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Do you think it just a matter of time before he anchoring the 6 &11pm news?  It would behoove WTNH to get him in that role by May Sweeps. Hasn't NBC 30 moved to #2 and WTNH moved to third in recent years?

6:00: Very outside chance. From the looks of every article I've read, it seems like any anchoring would be solely fill-in.

11:00: No. Dennis stepped down from the 11:00 at WFSB a few years back to spend more time with Kara and their kids. 

If I had to do a shot in the dark, the only way I see him regularly going back to the anchor desk is if Kara comes over to 8 which I only think would happen if Better Connecticut was given the axe. Weirder things have happened but I think Dennis' days as a main anchor might be a thing of the past.

15 hours ago, plzstandby said:

Today is the last day for KCTV meteorologist Brett Anthony who is leaving to become Chief Meteorologist at KYTX. Brett previously worked at KSHB and at KJRH in Tulsa before returning to Kansas City.

Meanwhile, KYTX's previous chief, Joel Barnes, reported on his Twitter that he didn't stay at KYTX.  He will now be chief meteorologist at WBBJ in Jackson, TN, and get started in the next couple of weeks there.

Didn't see this brought up here, so I'll bring it up. 

WTOV chief meteorologist Kevin Carter announced his retirement yesterday, and his last newscast was last night.

Morning meteorologist Jeff Oechslein will become the new chief meteorologist, and will stay on the morning show. 

Edited by tjt24
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, plzstandby said:

Today is the last day for KCTV meteorologist Brett Anthony who is leaving to become Chief Meteorologist at KYTX. Brett previously worked at KSHB and at KJRH in Tulsa before returning to Kansas City.

4 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

Meanwhile, KYTX's previous chief, Joel Barnes, reported on his Twitter that he didn't stay at KYTX.  He will now be chief meteorologist at WBBJ in Jackson, TN, and get started in the next couple of weeks there.

And to compete the cycle, WBBJ's former chief, Tom Meiners has taken a job to be closer to his family in North Carolina. He will join RDU section of Spectrum News 1 (News 14 Carolina).

https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/news/2020/12/10/meiners-feels-like-hes-leaving-family-family/3791584001/

Tom's Instagram

Edited by RGSJenkins

On 12/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, plzstandby said:

Glad to see him get a chief position again I've been friends with him for a while when he was at KJRH I hate how they screwed him out of the station.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:06 PM, TheWatcherAtl said:

The way how things are shaping up at WGCL it makes me have a new found respect for Tracye Hutchins. 

I know Astrid Martinez threw all her anger out - at Meredith, not the GM or ND at the station. I wonder if she would return to WGCL under different ownership?

10 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I know Astrid Martinez threw all her anger out - at Meredith, not the GM or ND at the station. I wonder if she would return to WGCL under different ownership?

Doubt it. It's too much of a revolving door at WGCL.

Vince Simms

Sharon Reed

Thomas Roberts

Ben Swan

Alicia Roberts

Mike Dunston

Brittany Miller 

Markina Brown

ect (Thats just to name an EXTREME few of anchors that have been left that station)

It only makes me think what type of pay cuts did anchors such as

**Tracye Hutchins and Jennifer Valdez have taken to stay at WGCL.

**I can kinda understand with Tracye's situation.....She said in (A local ATL raido) interview shes been staying in Atlanta for the sake of her daughter's education which makes sense.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, PelicanGuy said:

WWL morning meteorologist Dave Nusbaum is headed to Birmingham. He gave his last weathercast Christmas Eve. He didn't say when he will start nor what station he's going to, but said he will work the same shift he worked at Channel 4.

He's going to CBS42 starts after the new year. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs42.com/news/local/cbs-42-announces-dave-nussbaum-as-newest-member-of-cbs-42-storm-team/amp/

Edited by ScottSchell

In Toledo, anchor Jeff Smith crosses the street from WTVG (where he was morning anchor for at least 15 years) to WTOL, where he’ll join former WTVG reporter Mel Andrews as co-anchor at 5, 6 and 11pm.

https://www.wtol.com/amp/article/about-us/anchor-jeff-smith-joins-wtol-11-evening-news-team/512-2db7900f-eef6-4659-a367-ceb6e4a3541b?__twitter_impression=true

This, plus the addition of Tiffany Tarpley (from WKYC, but also of WUPW when it had its own operation) completes the anchor upheaval WTOL has had since Kristi Leigh left for KMPH in Feb 2020.

Overall, solid hires...and folks with experience in NWO.  Smith put WTVG on the map as the morning newscasts, led by him, were the first WTVG newscasts to lead the ratings.  Now, 13abc is a dominant #1.  We shall see if his move makes an impact on WTOL’s numbers.  It could...as I would expect Diane Larson and/or Lee Conklin to retire in the next 3-5 years... 

22 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

In Toledo, anchor Jeff Smith crosses the street from WTVG (where he was morning anchor for at least 15 years) to WTOL, where he’ll join former WTVG reporter Mel Andrews as co-anchor at 5, 6 and 11pm.

https://www.wtol.com/amp/article/about-us/anchor-jeff-smith-joins-wtol-11-evening-news-team/512-2db7900f-eef6-4659-a367-ceb6e4a3541b?__twitter_impression=true

This, plus the addition of Tiffany Tarpley (from WKYC, but also of WUPW when it had its own operation) completes the anchor upheaval WTOL has had since Kristi Leigh left for KMPH in Feb 2020.

Overall, solid hires...and folks with experience in NWO.  Smith put WTVG on the map as the morning newscasts, led by him, were the first WTVG newscasts to lead the ratings.  Now, 13abc is a dominant #1.  We shall see if his move makes an impact on WTOL’s numbers.  It could...as I would expect Diane Larson and/or Lee Conklin to retire in the next 3-5 years... 

Nice to see Jeff back on the air. Hopefully he has staying power, as WTOL has struggled with a bunch of different anchors over the past few years.

Diane and Lee will still be anchoring for a while on WTVG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Diane and Lee will still be anchoring for a while on WTVG

I hope so...Diane singlehandedly adds some “gravitas” to Toledo TV.

2021 will be her 40th(!) year on Toledo television as she started at WDHO/WNWO before heading to WTVG in Dec. 1984.

https://www.toledoblade.com/opinion/2007/05/11/WTVG-TV-s-Larson-named-to-hall-of-fame/stories/200705110049

Overall, I like this move for WTOL.  I was hoping WTOL would make this move when Jerry Anderson retired - but it’s better late than never.  It instantly adds some much needed longevity to WTOL, and likely increases morale for the station, since Jeff Smith has been in Toledo for 20+ years and doesn’t view the market as a stepping stone to something bigger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

I hope so...Diane singlehandedly adds some “gravitas” to Toledo TV.

2021 will be her 40th(!) year on Toledo television as she started at WDHO/WNWO before heading to WTVG in Dec. 1984.

https://www.toledoblade.com/opinion/2007/05/11/WTVG-TV-s-Larson-named-to-hall-of-fame/stories/200705110049

Overall, I like this move for WTOL.  I was hoping WTOL would make this move when Jerry Anderson retired - but it’s better late than never.  It instantly adds some much needed longevity to WTOL, and likely increases morale for the station, since Jeff Smith has been in Toledo for 20+ years and doesn’t view the market as a stepping stone to something bigger.

40 years? I can't believe it.

Jeff will likely stay there a long time, maybe as long as he was on WTVG.

• Like 1

KMID BIG 2 has hired a new main anchor. The Midland-Odessa's ABC station hired Karsen Buschjost to join Katie Orth for Big 2 News at 5, 6 & 10pm Buschjost replaces Eddie Flores, who joined the station in 2018 was on medical leave battling cancer. Flores bio is no longer there.

Welcome to Texas Karsen, and thoughts and prayers to Eddie Flores.

Edited by TexasTVNews

Joe Vazquez, one of the most prolific and consistent reporters at KPIX (not forgetting, stable, considering most of his colleagues have come and gone very frequently), is retiring from news after 16 years at the station and 35 years in the business total. KPIX is such a shell of what it used to be and this is definitely a loss. Not that it will actually do anything, but hopefully with the coming of the new set, can some rejuvenation be ushered in for a station that desperately needs it.